EPA and DOT to Require 54.5 mpg by 2025 - potential impact on travel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by JSpira, Nov 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting... cars will cost at least several thousand dollars more but the government assures us that new car buyers will save even more thanks to the greater fuel economy. It just might be possible... but will fewer people purchase cars due to the higher up-front investment.

My colleague Paul Riegler just filed this report.

New Fuel Economy Standards to Require 54.5 mpg by 2025

Article continues here

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's sad that regulation and government oversight are the only ways to get people to be conscious about just how outrageous the fuel economy is on most vehicles in the US. But I guess it's a consumer market and gas here is relatively cheap, plus people have bad memories and as soon as unleaded gasoline doesn't cost $5-6 a gallon people go right back and buy the gas guzzlers.

Of course the bad thing (and good thing) in CAFE is the C -- corporate. Car manufacturers can (and will) continue to make cars with terrible fuel economy because their corporate average has to be high. They can make huge SUVs with 10mpg or less as long as they balance it out with a lot of small econo-boxes and diesels.

Don't get me wrong though, you can pry my horrible gas mileage cars from my cold dead hands, but I think it's sad that regulation is required to force the automakers to come up with more fuel efficient vehicles.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am getting 45 mpg today. The jump to 54 shouldnt be too difficult. Bring it on! :)

(then again, aren't we all going to "drive" flying cars by then?)

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    :(

[​IMG]