Envoy Class Question

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by bobkidd1, Jun 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. bobkidd1

bobkidd1 Member

Status Points:
    Hello!

My question is regarding an upgrade to Envoy class for my wife and me. We're to Paris from Philadelphia on September 28th and returning via Munich on October 7th. I have accrued sufficient miles to do this, but I've been told repeatedly that, while there are many Envoy class seats still available, they haven't been "released" yet.

I am a newbie at this, but I am frustrated that all the advice I receive from US Airways is to keep calling back. Any suggestions in how to better handle this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bob

jetsetboy and iolaire like this.
  2. javacodeguy

javacodeguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think everyone will join you in admitting this is frustrating.

Next time you might consider only buying flights which have upgrade space available immediately. Some people say if there are 'low' awards on USAirways.com then there is probably upgrade space as well. I've seen space without that and I've been told there is no space when that's been available. So YMMV.

At the end of the day though, all you can do is keep calling. This far out you might just want to call every other day or a couple times a week. But when it gets closer I call every day, and if it's within a few days, I might call multiple times a day. Not much else you can do since you have already purchased the tickets.

jetsetboy likes this.
  3. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had to do this to upgrade to Paris and I called everyday and eventually got upgraded. The hard work paid off:) The Envoy Suite is SWEET!!!!

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just because there are revenue seats available, there is no assurance of low miles award seats or upgrade awards being available.

If you want a confirmed business class seat, you can pay, or use a high miles award (which is either uncontrolled or with very little limitation). On AA, for example, with double miles, you can have any seat on any aa operated flight. Otherwise, you're at the whims of the carriers as to when, if any, seats get released.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

5. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many business travelers travel last minute. US actually has quite a nice business class product on this route. US does hold them up for last minute purchasers, but they do accommodate upgrades closer to departure.

Sometimes they're held until 24 hours until departure for operational reasons. On my last flight to Europe, the day before a flight to Manchester (A330) was cancelled, which left a lot of Envoy passengers to be rebooked. My flight had 3 open seats, which quickly vanished to zero after the cancellation. I was stuck in coach, but was surprised by how nice the product was (still would have preferred Envoy given the choice).

Sean Colahan, Flyer1976 and jetsetboy like this.
  6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have preferred Envoy as well, out of my experiences in C/J on UA, CO, & US I strongly prefer the Envoy product.

7. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have status with US? I recently booked a trip and was told Envoy wasn't available for the return. The agent was very helpful and called a manager to get an override to open up a seat. I do have Chairman status with US so that may have helped. But, if you can get a nice friendly agent maybe they can try to request an override for you.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  8. bna_based

bna_based Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Was on a flight in January from Charlotte to Paris and was VERY impressed. Sucked being coach on the return flight.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  9. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had coach on the return to. Was no Envoy suite but it actually wasn't too bad.

10. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    A coach seat on US being described as "wasn't too bad"? It's been a while since I've flown coach internationally on US, but my memories are quite different (A332/A333). I'm not a big guy, but still felt packed in like a sardine.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  11. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am 6' 1" 250 (ish) lbs. I was sitting next to my wife in a section of 2 seats together (window/aisle) 3 rows from the front of the economy cabin on the A332. I was comfortable for our day flight back from Paris to PHL.

12. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Granted I would have MUCH rather have been in rows 1-5;)

13. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

Status Points:
    ChrisUNC - one thing to keep in mind are the new seats that US installed are slimmer. I'm not sure if they added to the seat count, but it could be one reason why recent experiences on the A330s are nicer than your previous ones.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  14. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quite possible--or I've just become a spoiled brat with the free upgrade certificates to Envoy.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  15. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know the schedule of converting their 767 to the new Envoy product?

Sean Colahan likes this.
  16. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know there is none. The plan is to eventually replace the 763 with the A330's.

17. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sean.. not to be nit picky, but they're 767-200s, not 763s.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  18. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the correction....was working off the top of my head for equipment types there.