Environmental Awareness Cards in Hotel Rooms

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Jim, Apr 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do they make you feel guilty enough to hang your towels and reuse them or do they make you wonder about how much paper, ink, and plastic was wasted to create them.

I counted four in my room last night.

It seems to me they are more about saving the hotel money and less about real environmental concerns of the hotel.

Chimpy and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree with the "other" Jim :p on this one. It always feels that the hotel cares more about saving money than environmental concerns.

What I hate is when you hang your towels to use it again as said in their signs but the housekeepers still take them and give you new ones.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Of course it's about money. And I want fresh towels daily. I use fresh towels after each shower at home, too, by the way.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

Honestly, it should say help save soap and labor costs!

5. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    and I thought it was just the cynic in me.

6. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    YES! I don't mind the cards. I would prefer to re-use the towels, but they seem to replace the towels 9 times out of 10 anyway, even if I have the little sign up or have my towel hanging on the bar instead of lying on the floor. And, of course, I always have new toiletries even if my shampoo/conditioner are just in the shower.

7. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have always reused my towels and the cards don't change that for me. And, unlike gleff, I also reuse them at home.

9. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I reuse at home and never do in the hotels. That bath towel becomes a handy floor mat for me to stand on as I brush my teeth.

10. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know, they have an actual towel/mat for that ;)

And so they try to guilt you into saving them some money by using less water/electricity. Who in this world has truly pure motives these days anyway?

11. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    That one is for when I step out of the shower. By the time I am done toweling off this large body, it is soaked. I just thow my towel in front of the sink.

12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1
    so? doesn't change the fact that less energy, soap, water, etc etc will be used if one was to reuse their towel.

If using a new towel(s) everyday is what you want to do, go ahead you are the one paying for the room, all I'd ask is that you understand the impact of your choice.

13. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I doubt anyone believes the hotels are doing this out of concern for the environment. Recycling all the cards strikes me as an excellent idea.

Captain Oveur likes this.
  14. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with you on this one Jim, the hotels must save a lot of money and time by not having to change the towels etc.

JALPak and Horse like this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always felt that if hotels want people to accept these "environmental" decisions, they should offer incentives. Some SPG properties do something like this in offering either 500 points or $5 toward a drink or coffee, etc. for declining housekeeping for the day. I've always been surprised, too, that hotels don't impose some sort of a housekeeping surcharge on the first/last night, like some short-term rental apartments have an initial cleaning fee.

16. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

I think that any person who travels with any real frequency can discern the real purpose ;)

What would bother me is if they start making "no-change-of-linens" the default option (requiring you to place a card to receive fresh linens). THAT would be going too far, IMO, and I'd avoid any hotel doing so.

KIXman likes this.
  17. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually that's what I see a lot in hotels in MNL, and I don't like it either. There's a card on top of the bed, which naturally you toss aside before getting in to sleep. When you look at what's written on the card it says "please place this card on the bed if you want fresh linen"
    Sneaky ... :rolleyes:

Chimpy likes this.
  18. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slightly related maybe, some hotels in Japan add a discount if you don't use any of their toiletries.
    (I forgot what the scheme was to let them verify that you really didn't)

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been in Chinese owned/operated hotels in cities not so visited by foreign tourists where the modest toiletries all had price tags, in addition to the prices on the underwear in the minibar.

20. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought of this topic last week in St Petersburg, FL (DoubleTree Resort)

Yes, the save us laundry money cards were there. Also there were 14 different little placards in my check-in envelope. In the envelope was the normal room key folder with 13 other cards. To add to it, my receipt was delivered under the door in yet another envelope.