Enterprise Rent-a-Car and liability insurance

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by hiccup, Mar 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. hiccup

hiccup New Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone.

I'm a long time browser of the forums, first time poster.

I'm renting a car through enterprise today and don't have my own car or my own auto insurance. So, basically I need some sort of state mandated liability insurance for other drivers. I called enterprise and they didn't seem to understand my question.

Do I have to purchase basic liability insurance (for third parties and property) or is that included within the basic rental cost? If I do have to purchase, how much does it normally run. I'm a 21-24 year old driver, for what it's worth.

Thanks!
    J

2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will probably have to pay the outrageous Insurance from Enterprise. As well, you will probably have to pay an additional fee for Underage Driver. (usually under 25).

Here is a link from Smarter Travel that gives some information. You can also just Google (or Bing) Enterprise Car Rental Liability Insurance. There are bunches of links that have pertinent information.

http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-advice/what-rental-car-insurance-do-need.html?id=2461122

One site did mention purchasing from Geico. I would imagine that most Auto Insurance Companies may have a policy specifically for travelers that do not own cars. (Many in the NYC area or DC may not even own cars.) Of course, there with be a substantial charge. But you could probably either call or walk into an agency and ask. Or online to the big online agency.

3. Mrwheels12

Mrwheels12 Active Member

Status Points:
    Depending on what state you are renting in makes a difference. In Ca the real car companies provide state min liability coverage. No one is required to buy damage waiver check your credit card on that. Your underage so they will get you on that fee. At least $25 a day. Hertz has a promotion going on now that wives the under age fee. Will save you up to $25 PER DAY!

4. EnterpriseCares

EnterpriseCares Active Member

Status Points: