Entering the US or Canada using your iPAD as a passport

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by PhlyingRPh, Jan 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Obviously from an accountability standpoint this is whack. However, I'm curious to know if anyone else has used an alternative type of ID, collateral or a one-time cash payment in order to cross an international frontier. The closest I've come to this is entering the UK on an expired UK passport to avoid having to stand in line on arrival at LHR.

Canadian man who forgot his passport has said that he managed to cross the border into the US using a copy of the document he had scanned on to his iPad.
    Martin Reisch, from Montreal, presented the US border office with his digital device after realising near the border that he did not have his passport.
    He said he told the official that he was heading to Vermont to deliver Christmas presents.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16403636

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was he crossing by land, I.e., driving? If so, is a passport absolutely required now for natural born citizens of the two countries?

3. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was by land.

Not sure how any Canadian doesn't know that you need your passport to enter into the US! Even more odd (and sad) is that the CBP let him in without the proper document and could be sacked in CBP looks into it to identify the agent.

Wonder if Reisch has even considered or cared that the agent who gave him a nice Christmas gift could be reprimanded or fired because of their good deed.

From the National Post article - 'Although he’s sure the U.S. border guard made an exception for him, Reisch hopes the event will be “a catalyst to change the rules”.'

4. below sea level
    Original Member

below sea level Silver Member

Status Points:
    An update via Cult of Mac...

canucklehead likes this.
  5. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't the rule that a passport must be presented in order to travel between the two countries?

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    At one point, the passport rule only applied to air travel. I don't know whether the current rule for car travel is passport or just that you must be able to prove your identity and citizenship.

7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps Mr. Reisch will face a bit more scrutiny the next time he wishes to cross the border to compensate for the leniency he experienced on Christmas.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  8. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html

9. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is more info I found: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/whti_bg/land_sea/

"

Document Requirements for Land and Sea Travel[​IMG]

U.S. citizens and nonimmigrant aliens from Canada entering the United States by land or sea are required to present a valid WHTI-compliant document, which include:
    • Passports
    • U.S. Passport Cards
    • Enhanced Driver's Licenses
    • Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
    • Military Identification Cards (for members of the U.S. armed forces on official orders)
    • U.S. Merchant Mariner Document (for U.S. citizens on official maritime business)
    • Enhanced Tribal Card (where available)
    Children: U.S. and Canadian citizen children under age 16 arriving by land or sea from a contiguous territory may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Canadian Citizenship Card.
    Groups of Children: U.S. and Canadian citizen children under age 19 arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory and traveling with a school group, religious group, social or cultural organization, or sports team, may also present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate or a Canadian Citizenship Card.
    Native Americans: Until further notice, Native American United States and Canadian citizens may continue to present their current tribal documents, including the current Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) card, as proof of identity and citizenship when entering by land or sea, provided the document is affixed with a photo."

RJR@LAX likes this.
  10. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why on earth? Wouldn't it be less likely he would do such a bonehead thing
    again - or is it that he should be penalized forever for it?

I'd say that the most equitable thing would be to put a note in his record
    that says something like "idiot - probably not dangerous"; I figure I have
    something like that in mine.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  11. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    The note in my file used to read "harmless". Now it says "mostly harmless"

Flyer1976, N965VJ and canucklehead like this.
  12. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Who carries their birth certificate with them while traveling? :confused: What an odd claim by CBP (which the man denies).

13. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've lost my drivers license while away on business. My YMCA & Sams club card got me through security with no extra pat down. This was at EWR about 3 years back.

14. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah but getting through security is far different from crossing a border. Those would be of absolutely no use with an immigration officer.

15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    mine probably says " just wave through"...