Enjoying my pastrami sandwich in coach

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Feb 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday I flew BOS-DFW-SMF with the first segment in coach. When I arrived in the Admiral's Club at BOS, I checked my upgrade status on the Android app and my name had dropped off the list. Figured this was all related to weather delays and three different reroutes getting to Boston on Saturday (which turned into Sunday), as I hadn't touched the booking myself. AC agent got me back on the upgrade list where I placed #3 with 2 open seats. That's my second miss out of 22 domestic flights since January 1, so still holding above 90%.

Enjoyed the ride to DFW in 9F. Ordered a pretty decent pastrami sandwich on marbled rye and a Sam Adams. Flashed my EXP card in the agent's direction and she asked if I was tom911 and we were done. Nice not forking over $17. Back in the air again on Monday.

Seat6A, Flyer1976, karung99 and 6 others like this.
  2. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great story. An "I know who you are!" rather than a DYKWIA :)

Flyer1976, karung99 and uggboy like this.
  3. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sam Adams?!?!? :eek:

How long has AA been offering Sam Adams for???? Also is it system wide they're offering it, or just to/from BOS?

uggboy likes this.
  4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sam Adams has been out there at least since the first of the year, maybe even longer, as I've enjoyed it on a number of routes. I've moved to it from Heineken.

Max M and uggboy like this.
  5. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA Sandwiches are better than what they are serving in F, I also like their BBQ brisket sandwich.
    I was tempted to ask FA if I could have sandwich from the Y instead.

Seat6A, Flyer1976 and MSYgirl like this.
  6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    [T]he Y? :D

MSYgirl likes this.
  7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just had another pastrami sandwich MIA-SFO, Was #2 on the upgrade list but flight has been at F0 last few days, 757 didn't have wi-fi. Wonder how many of those are out there. Hanging out at the SFO AC for a few mins to see weinskkb who is due in shortly from JFK.

Flyer1976, ballardFlyer and karung99 like this.
  8. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too
    Many

The granny chair 752 must die.

Seat6A, timfrost and karung99 like this.
  9. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Love the brisket and pastrami - anything with the pretzel bread.

Dislike when other EXPs get the 6 total sandwiches they cater on most 738 flights in Y. Made me start picking MCE in row 8-9 instead of exit rows because I kept getting screwed.

But yeah, this is the best Y peace offering of any US airline.

Max M likes this.
  10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my flight last week they also had a salad, but I overheard the flight attendants mentioning that only one of those was boarded.

ballardFlyer likes this.
  11. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm always amazed there aren't more fruit and cheese plates. The darn things always get sold out by mid cabin. Surely they must be able to track these popular items and cater accordingly.

ballardFlyer likes this.
  12. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    FAs have repeatedly told me they tell catering/ops they need more supply and are rebuffed. They also have encouraged me to complain to AA CS as they think it will be more effective. Had versions of this completely professional convo initiated by FAs at least 6 times in 2013.

timfrost and flyforawg like this.
  13. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's been problem lately here on the train getting what we need. I've doing this job for some time and have a pretty good handle on what I can sell and what doesn't and try to only order what I need, but Aramark has been ordering less of our fresh sandwiches and salads from the vendor and I frequently get fewer than I order. They told me last week they get supplied what they need for each train's starting issue plus 30% for any enroute orders. This is especially a problem on the Surfliner - if I am out of something a passenger wants they are more likely to cancel their purchase altogether and wait until they arrive at their destination than making a different selection. I hate to see revenue walk out the door - be it for us or for the airlines. It's different of course for me since I can order whatever I want (wether I GET it is another story) whereas flight attendants have to deal with the hand they are dealt. Alaska tried a pilot preorder system for coach on certain flights out of Seattle last year, presumably to help make better catering decisions. I wonder what they learned and whether they will expand it? I'm sure if you knew you wanted a snack and were stuck in row 25 it was brilliant, although Alaska has never been out of my selection regardless of where I've sat.

Its a tricky decision and a fine line... Catering costs are high and if you cater too much you are throwing money away, but if you cater too little you miss out on potential revenue. This is especially true for the airlines when if it's not sold it's tossed at the end of the flight. At least at Amtrak any unsold food that's still in date lives to fight another day.

As usual, the passengers and crew are caught in the crossfire and no one is happy but the accountants.

ballardFlyer, Max M, MSYgirl and 2 others like this.
  14. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    tom911-

Thanks again for your post.

I've now consumed Sam Adams on AA a few times now. :)

ballardFlyer and tom911 like this.
  15. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sam Adams? I'll have to do a run just to have one! Hopefully they have them the next two weeks.

Max M likes this.
  16. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sipping on a sAAm Adams onboard SFO/ORD right now.

Max M likes this.
  17. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I assumed that those sandwiches had gone away with the end of the AA-Marcus Samuelsson relationship. Glad to hear not!

18. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have different wrapping now without his name and the bread is shaped differently but it is about the same. It is still pretty good for an airline sandwich. Unless you eat 4 in a row as a punished EXP.

flyforawg likes this.