Enhancements coming to a flight near you soon...September 2011

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by kluau88, Aug 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kluau88
    Original Member

kluau88 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There has been much discussion about pre-departure beverages well here's a change as SMI/J would say I'm hoping you will like.

For pre-departure beverages they will start fulfilling individual requests instead of the pre-poured options you are used to seeing on domestic and international flights. The requests can include (wine, beer, alcohol, and soda).

Coffee....yes bye bye Starbucks and hello Journeys, United's Gourmet Custom Blend. We'll have to wait for the reviews to see how premium this product is.

2. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Starbucks VIA Ready-To-Brew is certainly handy to have when traveling. :)

catgirl and sobore like this.
  3. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    They implemented this last Monday on a short GRR-ORD flight. Guy next to me ordered a beer. I went w/a rum-n-coke. I just thought the FA was being nice. I don't think this is completely unheard of, is it?

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any good? It has to be better than AA's.

SQ LPP likes this.
  5. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Been on flights where the PDB is oj/water and where they ask you want you want. It's a mixed bag for now.

SQ LPP likes this.
  6. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always have it with me!!!!!

SQ LPP likes this.
  7. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am I the only person out there that would prefer something other than Charbucks? I know it's better than having Folger's crystals but I'm looking forward to trying out something else.

QSG likes this.
  8. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back to how they were when I flew UA for most of my million miles. I suppose this way you won't notice your special meal doesn't exist anymore if your vision is blurry from a few PDBs.

Junca likes this.
  9. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    The way things are going, soon the only adult beverage on UA will be PBRs. In fact, I have obtained a leaked copy of an FA training video:

Ygor likes this.
  10. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, on my last couple of flights it's been both ways. But it'll be nice to have the option of whatever we want, even though it'll be more work for the FAs during the busy time of boarding.

SQ LPP likes this.
  11. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For centuries, FAs, during the "busy time of boarding" have somehow been able to serve PDBs, yes, even on narrowbody aircraft while passengers are boarding through the aisle. Yes, even on 737s with only a crew of 3. Yes, even when overhead bins were smaller than they are now, and people weren't as restricted in what they brought onboard.

SQ LPP and Flyer1976 like this.
  12. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if the selections offered will be based on revenue earned for that particular ticket? :D

Someone with a free upgrade from a low fare such as G or K will only be offered Keystone Light or Boones Farm?

Full fare gets the slightly better house wine or bud light :p

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was that when the airlines didn't charge for checked bags and people in general didn't bring everything and their kitchen sink onto the plane? :D

(I guess that is might be an example where conventional wisdom on FT, eh, MP is whatever fits the argument)

mht_flyer and SQ LPP like this.
  14. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    The pre departure drinks to order has been the norm on CO. Glad to see they are bringing it to the new UA. :)

ssullivan, ella, EX-LAX and 3 others like this.
  15. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They did bring kitchen sinks. And sheep, too.

16. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Four segments on Continental yesterday ---

#1 - Went off without a hitch (preassigned 1A)

#2 - Ma Kettle sitting in my seat when I board and Pa right next to her. F/a felt sorry for them and played musical chairs so they could sit together, prior to my arrival, requiring 4 first class passengers to do the Hokey Pokey, blocking the boarding process for about 3 minutes. I'm told by the F/a (who was really very nice, I might add) that I should take 2B. Approx 5 minutes later 2B shows up and I am now blocking the aisle again, while determining which seat I'm going to end up with, a coach passenger pushes past me causing my full gin & tonic to spill on 2C which really pissed him off. 2 B agrees to sit in 1E and I am now back in 2B for the duration with a guy across the aisle glaring at me for nearly 3 hours.

#3 - No upgrade, however I was #1 on the stand-bye list with 4 open seats. Told by the g/a to take my assigned seat (7F) as all 4 passengers below me upgraded (trumping me) for cash buy-ups. Hard to believe, but no biggie - only 2 hours. All 4 names on the stand-bye list were in fact upgraded as viewing is possible 24 hours prior to the flight, after check in.

#4 - Beeped at the gate reader --- "Whoops, Mr. Ex-Lax you are now in 3A"! "What, I've has 1A for months?" "Well we can now give you 4B if you want'? Yep, another blue hair in my seat and Pa with his feet on the bulkhead, enjoying my gin & tonic! This flight was delayed nearly 3 hours and I was just glad to get out of IAH.

What's my point, you might ask? In over 16 years of being a 1K at UAL, I've never once had anyone change my seat without talking to me about it first. This is sort of a big deal at UAL and only a (manufactured-secret)
    FAM excuse flies. Apparently at Continental as a Platinum level dude, "A change that I will like" will be my preassigned (months in advance) seat.
    A seat assignment to me is etched in stone, unless I am asked to move, and it damn well better be for a good reason. I want to be in a seat where I can get out once in a while (WHICH IS 1A), when I want, and without being bothered or bothering someone else. Evidently, so do Ma & Pa Kettle's, but obviously clearing at the last minute caused them to be sitting apart and a sob story worked for them. There are other options, like perhaps the guy next to one of them could move to a seat next to me, but again boarding a flight should be hassle free and I don't care for "The CHANGE that I DON"T friggin like"!

I've outgrown the letter writing campaign thing regarding a critique of every possible annoyance that I encounter, but seat assignments are a BIG F---ing deal to me, useless I am personally involved in the discussion of where I should move to!

ASK and you may receive! But don't count on it!!

17. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree with you but seat assignments aren't really guaranteed and you have to "comply" with crew-member instructions but get this...here's a secret...crew-members can't make you move seats until the door is closed so if you really wanted 1A I'd have been polite but firm on this that any seat changes must be processed by the Gate Agent...This happened to me once and I was polite and firm and was given the "obey all crew-member instructions" lecture and I told them that I knew they had no authority to change seats while the door was open so the FAs backed off and left me in my seat.

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you eat or drink anything served by said FA during that flight? (assuming F seat)

(my rule: never argue with people who will subsequently prepare or serve your food/drinks)

19. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    There was never an issue or challenge with the f/a, or the gate agent, and I am quite aware that my assigned seat is not guaranteed. My main point being that in 16 years on UAL I have NEVER been reassigned a different seat without being extended the "courtesy" of being involved in the decision of whether or not I was a willing participant. Two times in one day, now that I am flying on Continental, just had me puzzled as to whether it's first on-board to plead your case to the f/a?

All things being equal, I think can still outrun the Kettles from the gate reader to 1A, so no biggie.

I might add that most times I am more than happy to assist folks in sitting together, but me thinks that a simple polite request would have seemed more appropriate.

Ygor likes this.
  20. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    This sounds like really bad luck. I have never had seats moved on me on all my CO flying, and in fact, I have witnessed a GA return a couple's buy up to F because they had bought it last minute, and did not have seats together, even after the GA suggested they could just ask in the plane and surely someone would change seats with one of them. They still preferred to sit in Y than risk being appart. To each his own...

21. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just yesterday on a completely fouled CO flight out of ORD. Not one person in my party of 6 ended up in our originally booked seats that were assigned/chosen a month ago.

In addition the GA was a completely incompetent rude lady. Bummer. The FA's were all really nice though.

I've just kinda come to the conclusion that for some parts of this merger deal it is just going to be stale. The CO attitude is for me pretty abrasive compared to UA. I know there are exceptions both ways.

In general, CO is not as acommodating or careful with things/customers as UA is. Just IMHO.

I'm just waiting for the dust to settle and we can figure out how it is all going to play out and then maybe just maybe hope not but dAArkside....ugh no. please SMI/J don't make a mess out of this. ORD is not IAH and DEN is not CLE...

22. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    My posts hopefully did not indicate that I was bashing CO, and implying that UA was any better. I was only mentioning that 2 flights yesterday were screwed up due to last minute seat changes.

Playing musical chairs in first class because a f/a and a g/a took it upon themselves to allow 2 people who arrived at the door first to sit in a reserved seat causing me to move 3 separate times during the boarding process, and spilling my drink on another first class passenger during this Chinese fire drill, because of the rush by coach cabin boardee's. The second flight cause me to be pinned in (so to speak) for 3 hours in a window seat, when 1A (where I was supposed to be seated) would have permitted me to get out and go to the lav or walk a little, as it was an all day experience with the last flight being a 3 hour delay, and the guy next to me went into an immediate coma prior to wheels up.

Again, I know that seats are not guaranteed, but call the 1K line after a sweep (time change or flight number change) for a clean up, and discover that someone else is now in the seat that you've had for 11 months and see if they allow you to regain that seat. It ain't gonna happen because, "Rules are rules, Sir"! Courtesy should dictate that the passenger who has a preselected seat assignment should be included in the decision whether or not that person is moved to another location on the aircraft.

These 4 segments on Co that I flew yesterday all had very wonderful f/a's, and this was only my 2nd itinerary flown on Co in nearly 35 years. I'm beyond the stage in my life that I feel the need to critique every move that an airline employee makes and report it to 1K Voice. In fact, I don't really care what any of them do as long as I am not required to do the Dosey Doe between boarding passengers, juggling a full drink in my hand for 5 or 10 minutes while someone else is occupying the seat that I was assigned in advance. The disembarkation of the Titanic went smoother than this circle jerk!

23. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amen then again...this was on a BOS-EWR drink only flight...I'm usually polite but if they're going to leave me out of the process I will refuse.

24. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back to the original topic - PDBs.

Monday (22 August) flight from RNO to DEN, me in First (UDU), F/A asked if we'd like a drink before departure. Both I and my seat companion were so surprised we just asked for water, although some of the pax across the aisle were quicker on the uptake and requested adult beverages, which were promptly delivered.

What a pleasant surprise. Wonder if it'll happen on my next flight (on the 30th).

25. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm batting .500 on whether I get the OJ/Water only offer or "may I offer you something to drink before takeoff".

And on a related note, the purser on a recent flight mentioned that they had received so many complaints on the "new" blend that they were going to offer a "better" coffee. Crossing fingers that comes true.