Enhanced Communication Channel With AAdvantage

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Pizzaman, Oct 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Just a note that the AAdvantage team is keeping an eye out here with our assistance. We've got a handful of folks that can answer questions for us when we need help. This isn't 24/7 instant answer service, but we'll be monitoring the forum for things they can assist with. If there's something you're not sure of, feel free to post here or start a conversation with me.

Tenmoc, bk3day, skit53 and 11 others like this.
  2. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll bite :)

I flew a US/LAN/TAM RT (DFW-CLT-JFK-LIM-IGU) 2 weeks ago and credited to AAdvantage. The US flights posted in a few days however the rest haven't posted yet. Some friends on the same flights had all of their segments post in a few days. I've not had issues with LAN flights crediting before; they normally post within a few days. What's the easiest way to resolve this? Email to AA or LAN? Call? Twitter? Etc.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very small issue, mostly curiosity. On a recent flight my salad contained the "core" of the lettuce (part that should have been discarded) flight attendant took a picture and said she would report it - is there really any follow up about this lack of basic quality control?

Of course, this was an inconsequential issue - but do wish AA would pay attention to the more important complaints of inedible food in first (since the downgrades) even when "properly" prepared ;) Maybe then I could stop having to bring my own food even when in first.... sigh

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I would start with Twitter. I find the Twitter team to be effective when they choose to be engaged. If you strike out with them and calling CS, start a conversation with me and I'll see what I can find out.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I know there are some catering (re)enhancements coming up. I'm not sure how a food issue like yours gets dealt with. What did the FA take a picture with? In-flight tablet?

6. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I gave twitter a try; received canned response to wait 30 days. It doesn't feel appropriate to tweet back that my traveling companions miles posted 10 days ago :) It may be the system is just really bad and posting is highly variable though that's not been my experience.

I was under the impression AAdvantage would be lurking here and responding and don't want to put you out Pizzaman. It's not a terribly urgent matter, just annoying.

7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe it was her own phone ;).
    Too optimistic to assume their tablets are actually equipped for them to have direct feedback to AA whomever! but a cool idea.

8. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Pizzaman,

I saw your post in another thread suggesting that I come here to ask for milepoint's assistance. As stated in my post tonight, I'm unhappy with the way they failed to resolve this issue, but I'm done with the fight. I do think it's good ammo for the case that they need to fix this communication issue, however. This is the issue to which I'm referring.

9. Jdys

Jdys New Member

Status Points:
    Hi Pizzaman,
    I've tried several times to phone AAdv to ask ?,s about upgrades to BUS ATL-CDG in Sept 2016, but the wait times are ridiculously long (40-65 min). Maybe you know: is there a way to find out which Econ seats are upgradable before buying them and then upgrading at the same time? I have lots of flexibility at this point and would love to do it all in one fell swoop! While I'm asking, am I correct in assuming I can use AAdv miles to up grade USAIR flights since the merger? Do you know if the miles required for upgrades will increase in '16?

10. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Jdys,

I'm not Pizzaman, but here's my take on the right answer.

If you're flying AA, all econ seats are upgradeable, which is why AA is still a leader in the frequent travel programs. However, many times they are not available for immediate upgrade; you have to call and request the upgrade after booking, and they will put you on the wait list, which has its own structure based on status, time of request, etc. I am lucky enought to have an AA ticket office in my building, and I usually book/pay there, and I'm 1 for 6 on having the upgrades immediately available.

To find out if there are award seats available before you buy, check on Expert Flyer. You can get a free five-day membership, or sign up for a $9.99/month membership (that you can cancel anytime) that will allow you to search for award seats based on airline and origin-destination pairs (dates are required, as well, so if you're flexible you'll do a lot of data entry for all of the dates you're searching).

Yes, AA miles can be used for US flights. I don't think US even has its own program anymore - it's all AAdvantage.

And, finally, nobody but AAdvantage knows what AAdvantage will do in 2016. There's a lot of speculation, of course, but I would bet that even AA has a bunch of options that they're analysing. In any event, expect the worst and then reality won't seem so bad! ;)

Happy travels!

11. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, this is a long one, but everything else I have tried with AA has resulted in a meh-type response from them.
    I still have the very frustrating issue of the number of characters in my (hyphenated) last name. My Aadvantage account profile does include all of the letters of my last name, as well as passport and known traveler id. However, in order for me to login to my account, I have to delete the very last letter. If I attempt to hold or purchase a ticket, it is pre populated with all of the (correct) info, but I get the message that the name on the account does not match the Aadvantage account. So, I have to delete the AA # and re-input all of my info, name, passport, cbp, telephone, email. I then have to call the AA CS desk and ask them to add my AA # so that I can get a better seat. Oh, and when they do add my AA #, it deletes all of the other info that I input, e.g. Passport, etc. (I know that I should just add it after they add my AA, but sometimes I forget ).
    A year or so ago when I was flying BUR-PDX every week, my AA status was not recognized on AS (code share), I always had to bring my AA card and wait until they got a supervisor to approve the no checked baggage fee and wait 2 weeks to send in for mileage credit. At the time, AA CSR told me that my name was just too long and that, basically, I am the only AA member that has this problem, at least the 3 I spoke to and various others via email had never encountered it. They even suggested that I legally change my name to accommodate their websites shortfalls.
    Phew!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  12. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a reasonable request to me. :rolleyes:

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

alfagirl and Flyer1976 like this.
  13. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay. Will you or AA pay for a complete name change service for myself and hubby....:p

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    Flyer1976 and flyforawg like this.
  14. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know why....I purchased a ticket yesterday on Aa.com, AS codeshare and now, over 24 hours later, it still says "requested" and is not ticketed yet?

15. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just speculating...

I've been told that requested that stick around for a long time are because the ticketing group is busy. Maybe the recent finalization of the merge to one reservation system has them a bit backed up?

alfagirl likes this.
  16. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.. I will give it a couple more hours and call AA aaagain

17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    There was a time where all partner tickets were being held for a somewhat manual review. i thought that was ending with the transition to one res system, but wouldn't swear by that. Did you get a resolution?

Newscience likes this.
  18. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I called again yesterday and the CSR told there was something wrong with the CC I used, even though it was linked to my AA profile. I gave her the number over the phone and it was ticketed right away. Now we have a ride home on Saturday....
    Thanks

Newscience likes this.
  19. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Award itins that include partner travel are held for manual review. I'm not aware that revenue tickets ever were (and aren't now).

Newscience likes this.
  20. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess this will never be resolved to make it easier for me. Is this forum for issues other than something not quickly 'resolvable?'

Newscience likes this.
  21. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well, it is one hell of a last name. Let me see if I can get some clarity for you.

Newscience likes this.
  22. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think a lot of people are waiting to see if AA gets a EQD exemption set up with one of it CC companies(to be competitive with DL and UA at $25K annual spend).

Having already made EXP for next year, I will be holding off on AA travel the rest of this year (post Aug 1st) until we get a reading on the CC.

Newscience likes this.
  23. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I wonder if AA will drag their feet on this until they negotiate their new CC deal. It's odd that this wasn't announced at the same time as everything else, though I guess not overly surprising since the whole thing was only 3/4 baked.

Newscience likes this.
  24. Christian Martinez
    Original Member

Christian Martinez Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the new deal being announced, any word on the EQD exemption?

Newscience likes this.
  25. Mrp Alert

Mrp Alert Silver Member

Status Points:
    EQD partial exemption announced today, but only for Barclay cardholders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk