Engine failure forces a Delta flight to dump fuel before making emergency landing

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by WilliamQ, Sep 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fly between NRT and various north America destinations.
    In fact, I have similar flights coming up in just a couple of weeks.

Good to know that the pilots do not take unnecessary risks although not sure about the environmental impact of fuel dump in high altitude.

Guess viewpoints will differ depending if you were on the flight or on the ground.

http://www.cbs46.com/story/26597787...makes-emergency-landing-at-hartsfield-jackson

Newscience likes this.
  2. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not much choice for the crew of the B747 but to dump some fuel before returning to ATL, as an overweight landing is dangerous. I think dumping fuel at high altitudes doesn't really harm the environment too much, as it vaporises almost completely rather then land on the ground or water still as a dangerous fluid. Luckily, the aircraft had the fuel-dump capability, as some aircraft types do not have the ability to dump fuel in an emergency, resulting in the need to then fly for extra time to burn off the excess fuel required for a safe landing. Better to land quickly and safely when needed.

Newscience and WilliamQ like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure whether it was the same flight, but after a mechanical problem had been fixed, a NRT-bound DL 747 diverted to DTW overnight within the last week. Reports indicated that things were well handled by DL, but of course everyone experienced long delays.

WilliamQ likes this.
  4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, on one hand... yo might have delays... the other extreme end... Malaysia Airlines...
    Think most will err on the side of caution (with a bigger margin of safety) nowadays regarding any flight related decisions.

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a friend work the DTW-NRT flight and he said the passengers were in good spirits despite the delay in getting to Asia. :)

WilliamQ likes this.
  6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    There might be some (individual travel) insurance payout for those who purchased. Did Delta provided anything?

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well at least Delta has their own refinery so they can make more :)

Flyer1976 and WilliamQ like this.
  8. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D

daninstl likes this.
  9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not too sure and my friend is a FA so he wouldn't be aware of any compensating going on besides providing excellent Delta service to these inconvenienced customers.

WilliamQ likes this.
  10. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    And DL FA are some of the best so let your friend know his service is appreciated :)

Flyer1976 likes this.