Enforcing the cabin rule?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by garyst16, Oct 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    On an AA flight today from DFW to LAX, at least half a dozen pax from coach made their way to the F restroom, even though the FA made the obligatory announcement about using the restroom in your ticketed cabin. I found myself getting a bit annoyed. Am I wrong to feel this way? I feel like I am acting entitled by feeling this way. How about some thoughts on this?

wrxmom, 8MiHi, marcwint55 and 3 others like this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    kinda depends on whether the carts are out doesn't it....

DTWBOB

3. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is similar to the boarding discussions going on in other threads. Were the people intentionally going into F to use the restroom without carts blocking the back ones or did they just not know any better?

Might have to call Hanlon's razor on it.

8MiHi and marcwint55 like this.
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Definition: "ever attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

For me, I'm fine with whichever bathroom is closest to the seat you are in (even if i do happen to get that upgrade). In narrow bodies, it can be a tough call with the carts in the aisle's and bladders at altitude can be a tricky thing. Of course there is the reverse in some RJ's — those in the ticketed first class space making their way all the way to the back to use that bathroom!

5. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No carts in the aisle...737...

8MiHi, marcwint55 and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally 3 ways I've seen this play out.
    1) FA makes announcement but then does nothing
    2) FA makes announcement and is like a guard not letting anyone seated in Y to use F bathroom
    3) FA makes announcement, lets Y use the F bathroom but only if Y pax wait in the Y section of the aircraft & if an F pax needs the restroom, the F pax gets first dibs on the F bathroom.

I used to care that Y pax used the F bathroom if I was in F, now I only care if FA makes announcement and does nothing while Y pax wait in the F cabin. I enjoy when FAs take approach #3 above, think it is a win win for all on board.

7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It helps when they pull the curtain closed. Also I've seen FAs not enforce the rule about waiting near the cockpit door for the front restrooms. I don't really care except when its annoying as people pass through the seating area. You are paying more for a nicer experience.

8MiHi, marcwint55 and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't think anyone "paid" for those nicer experiences :)

Sweet Willie, 8MiHi and marcwint55 like this.
  9. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it comes down to me having wet pants and seat or using the first class toilet......first class will just have to get over it.

8MiHi and marcwint55 like this.
  10. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't bother me if the FAs are managing the traffic flow because the other restrooms are full.

What really bothers me is when people have full capacity to understand, but are so wrapped up in their own world that they just don't care to pay attention to the world around them and realize that the FA made multiple announcements about the F bathroom, boarding grouping, etc.

IMO it feels like these people live in a world where they are the only person in it that matters and the rest of the world is designed to bend to their will whenever they decide to do what they are going to do (go to bathroom, board, etc).

It annoys me when it is not stupidity, but that they don't realize that not everything is the world caters to them.

11. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't bother me to have anyone using the restroom when I am up front. If we all have just a bit more tolerance this world would be a much better place to be in. The worst thing I have ever seen is a flight attendant telling an elderly woman that she couldn't use the restroom up front as it is reserved for first class. I actually had to stand up and tell the attendant how wrong she was, as the lady was seated two rows behind first and walking to the rear was much more difficult for her. Unfortunately I was told that rules are rules and the poor woman had to go to the back of the plane. Had the flight not been a cross country flight in early stage, I would have been tempted to change seats with her just to get a point across to the fa.

12. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, c'mon :) Getting off the subject, of course, but yes, almost everybody up there "paid" in some way or another. Whether they paid enough is another subject, but they paid. By flying 100,000 BIS miles a year to get free upgrades as "Executive Platinum" members on AA, for example. Or by paying for segment upgrades as lesser-ranking elites. Or by redeeming more banked miles than they would have had to redeem for Y. Or whatever.

So if they "paid" for sitting up there, shouldn't the product be what they paid for? Which at least on paper is a lav dedicated to the passengers in their allegedly privileged cabin.

13. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well said, but I think ultimately everyone has to remember that the ratio of passengers to lav's is stacked against us......and when ya gotta go, ya gotta go ;)

14. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can talk out of both sides of my mouth on this one. As a top-tier elite, I don't want to walk from row 5 to the back of the plane just because my UG didn't clear. Seems like there is always a wait back there, too.

OTOH, when I am paying $$ for a FC seat, I don't want to wait for the coach trash :D to finish before I can do my business.

garyst16 and Sweet Willie like this.
  15. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

8MiHi likes this.
  16. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    This kind of thing, along with the "gate-lice" epidemic mentioned in another thread, are 100x worse if you let them annoy/frustrate you.

I'm a big supporter of the brush-it-off-and-enjoy-your-flight method with this small stuff. Not worth the increased blood pressure. I'm not a doctor, but I've played one for Halloween.

17. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I follow these rules when I fly in back and I anticipate that most economy flyers will respect the system and not form a stream up to the F Lav. If an individual needs to break the rules for a good reason then they should be allowed to. When I am in F I tend to ignore it unless it is seriously abused, its not worth the agita.

Mapsmith likes this.