EnergyPlus Bonus Signup Mileage/Points

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by scooterd, May 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. scooterd

scooterd Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone received more than one signup bonus from EnergyPlus. I received a signup bonus for Southwest last year and dropped EnergyPlus after receiving the bonus miles, and now wonder if I can receive another bonus for signing up with another airline or hotel sponsor.

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the article link NYBanker. I just signed up for Energy Plus last month to take advantage of their 12,500 rapid reward points bonus. After reading the article...I am now really concerned.

GoodBoy and perryplatypus like this.
  4. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Caution. I terminated my service with them due to paying much more than I expected. I thought the extra miles/points would be worth a slight upcharge; but with my reduced energy consumption and lower gas rates, I still had a 20% increase. :rolleyes:

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is nothing to be really concerned about - everything is entirely in your control - just be pro-active from here.

Once the bonus points appear in your account, pick a different independent power provider and switch immediately. The extra cost for one or two months is typically worth it for the bonus. Just don't let their service linger unnecessarily.

GoodBoy likes this.
  6. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So check this out...I switched from Met Ed to Energy Plus...

First month: saved 0.3% over my previous electric generation provider's rate.
    Second month: paid 56.7% more over my previous electric generation provider's rate!

I'm so glad you folks posted concerns on MilePoint. This made me pay attention to my electric bill and I know that I've got to switch away from Energy Plus. I can now see how EP can promote these very generous bonus offers.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. i've been proactively monitoring and i'm still paying less than the local provider, but i called, gave my KWH and negotiated a low plan based on consumption, i just went off the points to get a 5% rebate each year, i keep a close eye on the pricing relative to the the local provider

8. MyPoint

MyPoint Member

Status Points:
    I am about to try. I received the offer from SW. will post results.

GoodBoy likes this.
  9. winegirl1973

winegirl1973 New Member

Status Points:
    I'm also considering trying this, knowing that it's likely I'll switch back after the miles have posted. For anyone who has already done this, any other suggestions/stuff to watch for?

GoodBoy likes this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's not much else to look out for, you just have to be diligent about switching back immediately after you get the miles / points. Even then, you still need to weight the cost of a potentially higher bill just for the sake of receiving x miles per dollar or a bulk quantity like the OP (I think they had a couple of different offers with SouthWest and United where you'd get a bulk amount which is better than the long-term "per dollar spent" reward).

Bottom line, if your bill is $100 now and you can live with it being $120-130 for 3 months to get your reward, that's up to you. Remember though that some people have reported rates as high as 50-60% higher than they had previously received, so it will be entirely up to you whether or not you want to risk it, but I don't think it's worth it as a long term solution.

11. I've just changed from Energy plus. paying 9.95 cents per KWH, my local provider JCPL is currently 10.5 cents, but Energy Plus give a 5 % rebate at the end of the year, i've just changed to nextera for 8.9 cents for a twelve month contract:)

12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming your rate spikes after 30 days (but before the bonus posts), you could call and object to the rate. I did this at got a refund once. The second time I called for a rate adjustment, they were not as forgiving.

GoodBoy and viguera like this.
  13. JohnnieD
    Original Member

JohnnieD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Energy Plus is a classic bait and switch operation. My first mo was 4 cents/kwh then in month 3 it was 14c/kwh !! It was not worth the extra cost to get the miles!!!!!!!!!!!

dhammer53, GoodBoy and viguera like this.
  14. I know a senior guy at Energy Plus, he had me on 9.9 cents while JCPL was 10.6 c, notwithstanding my move to a twelve month fixed contract with Nextera for 8.9c and a $50 Visa card, Brian Cox at Energy Plus was always very helpful, if you're having any problems at Energy Plus his direct line is 267 298 5370

15. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In September I switched back from Energy Plus to Met Ed (my original electric generation provider). Here's the financial damage of my time with Energy Plus. In order to get 12,500 Southwest rapid reward points by being an EP customer for three months this is what it cost:

Jun: saved $7.47 over Met Ed's electric generation rate...yipee! Didn't last long though...
    July: charged additional $41.89 over Met Ed
    Aug: charged additional $48.82.
    Sep: charged additional 36.13.

I figure that 12,500 rapid reward points are valued at $221.25 (based on my last redemption of points to fly to California in June) . I spent an additional $119.37 being with Energy Plus instead of Met Ed over a 4 month period. Did I make out? Yeah...I did...by a little bit. Had I stayed with EP just a few more months it would've been a different story. And that's the lesson learned here...if you are offered bonus points to switch to Energy Plus...go ahead and do it...but just do it long enough to earn the bonus...and then switch to someone else ASAP.

GoodBoy likes this.
  16. abdulghaniz

abdulghaniz Active Member

Status Points:
    I guess the bottom line is to switch and get the miles and switch to another provider immediately.

Some questions here....
    1. How long does it take for the miles to post from the date of signing up for Energy Plus ? {There is a new promotion for 10,000 American Miles with Energy Plus and the terms and conditions say that you'll earn 10,000 miles after your second month as an Energy Plus customer... So does that mean after 2 bills ?}
    2. Should I switch to EnergyPlus now {middle of the month} OR wait for the end of the month when my COMED bill generates and sign up from then ? {Last time I signed up online - the switching was instant to EnergyPlus and I didnot have to wait 10 days like most people on the forums say...}
    3. For switching to another provider - how do I search for other providers online who are lesser than Energy Plus {or do I just switch back to Comed who I am with now ? } FYI - I live in Chicago
    4. Last time I called ComEd to switch back - they told me that I need to call Energy Plus and tell them to disconnect me from the Energy Plus account. Is that the way it is done OR probably the rep didn;t know 'what he was saying ? I checked my history {last time I signed up} and saw that I just continued with Energy Plus and when I moved - EnergyPlus disappeared from my bill because I was with a new account now.

Please help with your answers/ experiences.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  17. edi haryanto

edi haryanto New Member

Status Points: