Energy Plus Miles for Power Offer

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by adexpert, Mar 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got this thing in the mail today that's obviously quite targeted (has my MP number on it) from a company called Energy Plus. They claim to be able to sell me power for 10% less than ComEd (Chicago power company) is selling it to me. Also they offer:
    • 7,500 MP miles in month 2
    • 2 miles per dollar of power
    Has anyone done this before? The savings in electricity costs is worth it alone to me.

2. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I did it and still have Energy Plus. My power company, National Grid, was more expensive than the rate at Energy Plus. I definitely need to look at other choices as I'm sure there are better rates...but I can't say anything bad about Energy Plus so far.

lv2trvl and adexpert like this.
  3. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    How was the transition from the local power company to these people?

4. lv2trvl
    Original Member

lv2trvl Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a good datapoint since we live in the same area. I've gotten a few of these offers from Energy Plus in the past. But when I tried to research the issue a bit more, I wasn't able to find a side-by-side comparison of their rates vs. National Grid, and a google search and a few posts on FT bring up some horror stories how people's electricity rates have doubled after the switch. Of course rates do vary from month to month anyway, so without a side-by-side table of rates it's difficult to come of a firm conclusion comparing utility bills before and after the switch. So far I've passed on the offer, but your experience may make me reconsider.

5. JohnnieD
    Original Member

JohnnieD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just cancelled my Energy Plus deal. They started out cheaper than my local company National Grid but slowly increased the cost from 4.5 cents to 12-14.5 cents!! Not worth it in my opinion. Switched to NYSEG Solutions @ guaranteed 4.5 cents for 12 months. Remember, this cost is on top of your local 'delivery' cost! Energy Plus is a ripoff!

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sorry for the delayed response on this one. The transition is seamless...I believe it took a month or two for the change to actually happen...but basically you just see EnergyPlus as the supplier on your statement from the power company. No separate bills or anything like that.

7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any issues with canceling and changing back?

8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Beware. I live in CT and swiched to them, and have since switched away.

The switching itself is very easy, and (at least in CT) there were no fees or forms, just a simple phone call.

I switched to Energy Plus because their offered rate was in line with several other independents, and about 30% less than the incumbent utility. I signed up for the American miles deal, which is similar to the UA deal described above.

Similar to Johnny D above, my rate went up about 20% each month. As luck would have it, I'm familiar with wholesale power rates in CT due to my day job. I called energy plus to complain, and they said the wholesale price went way up. I called bs and offered to fax them a copy of the daily wholesale exchange prices for power.

The rep changed his tune and offered a full refund of the excess over the initial rate, and promised me this would not happen again. They did send me a check promptly for the money as they promised.

Over the next two months, the price moved up about 20% each month - again, against no material change in wholesale power prices.

I called back and spoke to the same rep (he gave me his phone number when we spoke the previous time) and asked about the price changes. This time he was far less accommodating and went to far as to (politely) say that if i was unhappy I should switch to a different provider.

I have switched to Con Ed Solutions, who offered a capped rate for one year (with the cap being favorable).

I plan to write to the CT attorney general and the CT utility regulator. Energy plus's business model is clearly a pure bait and switch model and should not be tolerated.

I am very much in favor of free power markets, but companies shouldn't make their business purely taking advantage of customers.

The value of the miles awarded is not worth switching to this energy plus. Their business model is disingenuous and misleading.

As an aside, to the poster who is a national grid customer - enjoy those rates! In CT, the retail rates run between 9 and 12 cents per kwh, wholesale around 5.5 cents. Your 4 and 5 cent prices are great!

9. JohnnieD
    Original Member

JohnnieD Silver Member

Status Points:

Just a small correction, I double checked my NYSEG Solutions rate and it is 5.5 cents KWH for 12 months. But still, Energy Plus is a true bait and switch operation. I think I will complain to the NY PSC about being overcharged as you will in CT...............

10. I had a horrible experience with them...after I switched, I discovered, belatedly, that my electrical costs had not gone down. That can't be possible, I thought, because they market themselves as cost savings. So I spent hours comparing bills before and after the switch and then I noticed something...

the savings they were claiming were on an insignificant item on the bill. But the heart of the bill, the "delivery" portion, averaged 90% more than what I was paying NYSEG!!

I was outraged.

Made countless calls complaining to Energy Plus, as well as to the PSC and the NY Department of Consumer Affairs. To make a long story short, they eventually refunded the difference between what I was charged and what I would have paid NYSEG. So buyer beware.

The savings they cite is not on the overall bill, but on only one line of the bill. Do your homework before you switch!