EMV Chip Personal Reloadable Card

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Justin Johnson, Oct 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Justin Johnson Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm heading to Europe at the end of the month and my bank offers pre-paid chip and pin credit cards.
    I have a few questions about them:
    1. Are they worth getting?
    2. Does adding money on them count as a cash advance?
    3. Are there any hidden fees I need to know about?
    4. Any other advice would be welcome.

PS. The link on my banks page for the card redirects me to https://emvprepaid.pscufs.com/. So I guess the cards themselves are provided by pscufs, if that helps.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if they are worth getting. I think what you plan to do in Europe will potentially factor into the decision. E.g., if you expect to use unattended ticket vending machines or gas stations, it might be a good insurance policy. I have only had problems with US magstripe cards in those scenarios.

Justin Johnson likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, looking at the FAQ, this part makes me think that this card isn't actually a PIN+Chip card:

Where can my International Prepaid Card be used? [back to top]

Your card can be used to make purchases at millions of Visa debit locations worldwide and to obtain cash at any Visa ATM worldwide. Even merchants in countries who only accept cards with a Chip will be able to approve your transaction.However, note that some unattended kiosk terminals outside the U.S. such as luggage cart rentals, parking garages, even transit terminals may decline your International Prepaid Card due to the way the authorization is sent.

Justin Johnson likes this.
  4. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Justin Johnson Silver Member

Status Points:
    It will only be a back-up for my "normal" credit card.
    A few times last year I ran into the need for a chip and pin card,(backpacking in off the beaten path)
    but in all but one case I was lucky to have enough to have cash on hand.