Emirates to stop flying over Iraq

Discussion in 'Emirates | Skywards' started by uggboy, Jul 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Emirates to stop flying over Iraq

jbcarioca and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I just went to the Emirates Airlines website, and was able to find flights to Baghdad and Erbil. I suspect that flights will at least continue to Erbil (Kurdistan, Iraq), that is likely a profitable route, and not as affected by the problems there, especially if overflights can be done elsewhere.

jbcarioca, jonspencer and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's interesting, thanks for the update on your Emirates website visit, I presume that the "no overfly rule" comes in for flights which usually use / or used Iraqi airspace, I find it a timely move by Emirates and should be emulate by other airlines from around the world, better safe than sorry. Yes, I equally belief that flights to this particular cities in Iraq are very valuable for Emirates and that they aren't affected by the moves Emirates plans regarding in using Iraqi airspace in the future.

jbcarioca, jonspencer and Newscience like this.
  4. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Emirates has a programme called Arabian Air Pass where you can book tickets to Mideast destinations from Dubai (on a layover) must be holding an international ticket and not be based in the UAE

There are 3 zones that are concentric circles, random distances from Dubai.

I believe Doha and Qatar are in Zone A, it is USD 60 per leg (Economy)

Zone B includes Bahrain, Dammam, Kuwait, Riyadh, Sana'a at USD 90 per leg

Zone C includes Amman, Beirut, Cairo, Damascus, Tehran at USD 120 per leg

These are great fares if the destinations are useful to you or your business

Erbil or Baghdad could easily be in one of these zones, they are both nearer than Cairo but the Iraq routes are true "money spinners" for EK

on another note :eek: the attached photo was from an Emirates flight in June 2014, the mountains were still snow-capped near Shiraz Iran

[​IMG]