Emirates places order for 50 Boeing 777-300 ERs

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ACMM, Nov 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Big order!

-----

http://www.ameinfo.com/280908.html

Emirates, one of the world's fastest growing airlines, placed the single largest aircraft order in dollar value in Boeing's history for an additional 50 777-300 ER aircraft, worth approximately $18bn (Dhs66bn) in list price. The order also included 20 777-300 ER options valued at $8bn (Dhs29.4bn), for a total of 70 aircraft valued at $26bn (Dhs95.4bn), at the Dubai Air Show.

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

rwoman and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Crazy!

"Emirates currently has a fleet of 162 wide-bodied aircraft, flying to 115 destinations in 67 countries. The airline is on track to become one of the largest airlines in the world. In addition to the 50 777-300 ERs announced today, Emirates has 73 Airbus A380s, 70 Airbus A350s, 40 777-300 ERs and six Boeing freighters on order, for a total of 239 wide-body aircraft worth more than $92bn (Dhs337.6bn)."

239 wide-bodies... One of the largest airlines? Which one would be bigger?

ACMM likes this.
  3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Crazy indeed.......especially since they are not a hub and spoke. They think they'll be able to serve all their destinations directly. Honestly, is there such a huge demand from all over the world to travel to Dubai? Granted it looks like a beautiful place, but they think they'll get 90 million pax a year by 2018???? As they say on ESPN, C'mon man.....Here's my spin from earlier. One of the comments from my readers liked this strategy but said this is what happens when one person runs the entire country, and happens to own the airline. Wonder how much ego and hubris is at play here. Do they just want to squash Etihad or Qatar Airways? The next 3 years will be interesting to watch at Emirates

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They are not? I thought they had one hub, Dubai, and lots of spokes from there to anywhere else.

I have never been there. Not sure about "beautiful" -- well, maybe in the sense of Las Vegas being beautiful. One of these years I'll go to Dubai, just to see it with my own eyes, but it will likely be a short visit, and I doubt I'll fly Emirates given that from what I have read their coach product isn't that comfortable (I don't care about IFE, more about space) and I wouldn't pay for business class (not sure how easy it is to get C awards).

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry, mis-spoke. I meant to say multi hub and spoke like most US carriers where you have 3 or more main operating hubs. My bad.

6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Emirates is banking on a smooth future. That is an assumption that I would not bet on.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe when they have all those aircraft they plan on reducing prices by 50%, driving everyone else out of business. :)

Titans26 and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  8. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
  9. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only if interest rates drop by 50% and fuel is still cheap for them.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Couple things:

(a) that website is yours, no?

(b) that article doesn't really add anything to the information already in this thread, no?

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Aren't interest rates near zero percent? :D

They just have to drill a hole at that new airport of theirs and attach a tube to the tanks ;)

12. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thats the thing, when I read their earnings report, they underestimated their fuel and it cost about a billion more. With them growing the fuel literally in their backyard like we grow potatoes (well kind of anyway) you would think they'd be better prepared to handle fuel pricing issues.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Let's say each of those 239 widebodies is making one flight per day from somewhere to DBX (or vice versa). Are there enough destinations that have that much demand? And if they want to put multiple frequencies on a route, do they have the route rights and slots to do that?

If I was Boeing and AIrbus, I'd hold off ordering the parts for all those Emirates orders until the very last minute ;)

14. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Simplistically, lets say 2 planes a route....120 destinations? They may have overestimating how attractive the UAE is as a destination.

15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What about the 8000 people they plan on hiring......

16. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but DXB is a pretty good hub stopover for a lot of routes because of it's central position in EurAsia.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I thought the B787 would reduce the need for "stopovers". Are there really that many people interested to fly from <major-city-in-Europe>-DXB-<major-city-in-Asia> when they could also fly non-stop?

18. kziel

kziel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't surprise me, when your airline is subsidized you can do a lot of things that other airlines can't, like drop your prices to the floor.
    Emirates can get loans that no US or EU carrier can compete with, a 50% interest rate reduction would save them a million or two over the life of one of the 77Ws at list.

19. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Emirates is 100% Hub and Spoke, with spokes in all the right places.

EK is the chief carrier between dozens of South Asian cities and UK/Europe/US cities. I have no doubt that, unless governments unfairly regulate EK's operations, that it will be the number one carrier between UK/Europe and China, the Far East, Australia and New Zealand, and between Africa and all points in Asia/Australia/NZ. That's all hub and spoke, isn't it?

20. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you read earlier posts you would have seen that I corrected myself. I left out a word.

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  21. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Subsidized? hell, they're owned outright by the UAE :)

22. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll learn to read and get back with you :)

23. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know that EK flies from my home airport of SFO, I think twice daily, but I really don't understand where I would take them to from here other than the middle east (excluding Israel, which I guess they don't fly to). Wouldn't even India and Africa be faster via another hub? Maybe there would be a market if they were competing on fare, which I suppose is possible in Y.

24. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep on ordering those planes... there are a lot of jobs that will be created from such an order. Interesting is that their focus with the order continues to be on range.

25. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    emirates is all about range. no regional efforts what so ever. hopefully boeing and airbus arent to naive and dont over hire or over commit. this emirate back log has "deferrment" and cancellations written all over it. like a previous poster mentioned, hope they dont order too many pieces and parts just yet. this would be a perfect time to exercise Just In Time Inventory management