Emirates gone as a partner completely as of 28 May

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Mar 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Continental had previously announced the end of their long dwindling partnership with Emirates as of later this month. Now United has apparently indicated that by the end of May they, too, will have removed all earn and redeem options with EK.

Not too much of a surprise to me, though certainly a disappointment to lose a partner.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemi...nitedemirates-partnership-to-end-may-28-2011/
    http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewa...more-emirates-partnership-for-the-new-united/

2. Axey
    Original Member

Axey Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a bummer. It was a real treat burning United miles for a real F product!

3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always sad to lose a partner including one with great service.
    I'm also going to be sad to lose the AMEX -> CO transfers

5. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Im not sorry there is way too much demand from EK milemakers for EK awards and upgrades now and this shoudl lighten thigns up a bit

6. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always wanted to try EK, and I regret that I won't be able to use my UA miles on EK any longer.

7. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm rather surprised by this move. i don't EK enough to credit miles to them but it's nice to get something into my UA account.

8. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    It may be Ek's initiative rather than UA There have been complaints to EK about UA and CO ""crowding out"" EK FFs by using their miles to get awards on EK with not enough reverse demand. Similar story with Virgin Blue. Since most EK FFs who (like me) also fly domestic US/Europe/EUR-US/US_Pacific are also normally elites on *A there was little suffering at the Ek end, and probably well worth the loss in mileage rev to EK to keep their FFs happy at the rate they are growing --- see below:

(From Arabian business)

Emirates Airline's growth strategy has just made it the world's third largest carrier by capacity, latest data by Innovata has shown.
    With 144 aircraft in its fleet, the Dubai-based airline has overtaken US carrier United and is now behind only Delta and American Airlines, Emirates Business reported on Friday, quoting Innovata.
    The paper said data shows Emirates will produce 16.9 billion available seat kilometres (ASKs) in March 2011, up 9.9 percent year-on-year, while United’s capacity has dropped to just under 16bn ASKs.
    Delta Air Lines and American retain first and second rankings, with 28.4bn and 21.8bn ASKs. British Airways is ninth in the list.

And this before the huge 777 and 380 orders come into service!

9. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, when the merger closes United will surpass EK again... I don't necessarily view this as a good thing, because having too much excess capacity is never a good thing. Also, keep in mind EK wants to sustain a rather young fleet with an average of several years old, so many of the new 777s will be replacing the old 772s, 773s, 77Es, and the Airbus A343s. So that is 29 planes altogether that will need to be replaced soon.

Also EK gets unfair advantage with oil and I would bet dollars to doughnuts that they are not paying anywhere near the market price and they are paying significantly less than their EU/US counterparts... Don't forget the unfair tax advantages they are getting from their own government. If EK keeps growing like this without competing fairly, trust me, authorities will act on it and that could severely hamper EK. Canada is already doing that and some EU countries are doing that.

So keep that in mind, and while EK's growth has been impressive in the last several years they have some major barriers coming their way.

10. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    You raise some good points. Of course Co+UA will be bigger But Ek will be in that top 5 league and on intercontinental routes biggest by a long shot.. Consider the number of 380s they are adding, the 777s (over 50) and the demand assessments that confirm that they will be able to fill them.

Im not sure about unfair advantage. UAE has low tax rates and that benefits all businesses HQed there. Just like Monaco or Ireland. Thats an advantage buyt not unfair, to my mind. And I can confirm that DXB does not provide Aviation fuel significantly cheaper than elsewhere.. nor are airport charges particularly low (you cna get this info easily off the web or I will PM it to you if you like).

The airline business is inherently uncompetitive. EK or SQ cannot fly the Transtlantic routes for example; if they did I am sure ( I could be wrong bhut the desire above to fly a ""real"" F indicates the huge gap in product) that their levels of service etc would knock the stuffing out of the airlines that currently serve those routes; but they cant. Similarly the largest market in the world, the US domestic market, is closed to all except US carriers. So EKs growth has come in spite of being shut out of the worlds biggest and most lucrative markets. Thats pretty creditable. And they have been bold in venturing into Africa and tier 2 and tier 3 cities in Europe which were pretty much abandoned for long haul by the national carriers of the countries concerned.

11. qasr
    Original Member

qasr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Common myth, but completely wrong.
    Irrelevant, this is a UAE-wide feature and nothing to do with EK.
    Only artifical trade barriers erected by foreign governments wishing to protect their local companies.

12. qasr
    Original Member

qasr Silver Member

Status Points:
    What? Both EK & SQ fly transatlantic flights.
    Almost all domestic markets around the world are the same. It has led to local subsidiaries or joint ventures incorporated in the domestic market to get around it, e.g. see Australia with Virgin Blue, Tiger, etc.

13. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed Thats what i was trying to say

14. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    By transatlantic I meant the term as commonly used viz Europe-North America and especially UK-USA (TATL)
    . SQ used to have a fifth freedom ex FRA and AMS to JFK/EWR not sure of the present status. In any case the freedom was for one flighht a day only.
    Agree on domestic markets, i was making the point only to illustrate the fact that its not a fully freely competitive market out there in which Ek is somehow playing unfair.

15. qasr
    Original Member

qasr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, there are a lot of transatlantic flights that aren't Europe-NA. But for Europe-NA:

SQ currently flies JFK-FRA and DME-IAH. They have rights to the US ex-BRU & AMS, I believe.

EK has no Europe-US flights right now, but does have rights from Germany to the US.

16. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct, You can buy JFK-FRA-JFK or IAH-DME-IAH without having to go on to SIN, also the I believe the AMS-EWR rights are there from before the SQ21/22 nonstop SIN-EWR was introduced. Not sure about BRU.

17. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sad to see this partnership go away.

18. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    The link's been updated with the termination date.

19. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    SQ previously served BRU-JFK and AMS-EWR/ORD. IIRC they can still serve the US from those airports but have chosen not to do so and probably won't until the US economy improves.

20. AC cant compete with anyone it is so badly managed.. So the Canadian govt thought it has little choice but to keep AC from going Bankrupt again.

excelsior likes this.
  21. travelmystic
    Original Member

travelmystic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sad to see Emirates go. After a short flight last year from SYD to CHC, I was hoping to book an award ticket later this year. I guess I will have to firm up my plans and book the ticket before the May 28 deadline. As long as the flight is completed before May 2012 the award ticket can still be booked. I assume if the flight has to be changed at a later date I can get the miles reimbursed. Does anyone know if the canceled alliance will effect getting reimbursement if I have to change my plans?

22. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to say that in an emirates Elites customer survey I strongly argued against continuing this relationship. While I hear all of you, apparently award availability for Ek elites has already gone up by 20 per cent following the announcement termination of this agreement. So I am glad its gone. I would never waste my points upgrading on a UA type of product

23. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really doubt any more than a handful of MP or OP members actually redeemed their miles for awards on EK. The chart is clearly over valued and EK's hard product the epitome of chintziness!

24. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you read the previous posts you will see that OPs here at least used this facility And they were not a handful, there was huge demand
    On chintziness thats of course a matter of personal preference. But emirates is generally rated as a better airline product wise including by Skytrax.they also obviously have a wider international network than UA or CO so that makes redeeming attractive for the more adventorous
    Anway the bottom line is there were significant redemptions, especially in J and F compared to availability, especially from MP And not many the other way round.

25. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Added incentive to see if I can get an EK award for the FT Dubai DO in June!

excelsior likes this.