Emirates (EK) and AA Discussing Codeshares

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Sep 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LINK.

Emirates Airline president Tim Clark told Flightglobal.com on Friday that officials at Emirates and American Airlines have been discussing a codesharing deal, plus reciprocal benefits in their frequent-flier programs.

The disclosures comes after the big announcement last Thursday that Emirates would be Qantas Airways’ new partner on longhaul flights to and from Australia, with Emirates’ Dubai hub serving as a connecting point for Qantas passengers going to and from Europe, Africa and wherever.

Qantas and American are both part of the OneWorld global airline alliance.

jbcarioca, Switch2, Gardyloo and 4 others like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Fuller article from Flightglobal.com here: LINK.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Man...if AA and QF both sign on the three of them could conceivably start up a new alliance and make things interesting. Doesn't seem likely given the close ties AA has with IAG and AA's dependence on partners for so much of their international lift in areas that EK and QF don't cover. But it could be interesting.

jbcarioca, Gardyloo and wrxmom like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    that would be exciting

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's an interesting time in the airline world. Just like the QF tie up, don't think this is a game changer if implemented, but certainly very interesting.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's anything like the Alaska reciprocal program, it'll be everything except upgrades. Boarding priority, baggage allowance, exit row seating, etc.

Note that this isn't a complaint about not getting upgrades on AS (or AS folks on AA) - I understand (and support) upgrading "your own" either first or exclusively. Just a note that the statement is, understabably, very broad.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder what they're thinking at Waterside. Et tu, AA?

jbcarioca and DestinationDavid like this.
  8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd consider connecting through Dubai to avoid Heathrow, especially with EK service levels being comparable to or exceeding those of BA, and definitely AA.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

jbcarioca, desamo and MX like this.
  9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me get this right if you were going to anywhere in Europe you would fly another 8 hours + just to avoid LHR??:) Why? costs?? or do you just dislike the Brits?:)

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    At 15.5 hours from SFO to Dubai not sure I'd want to do this one in coach with a connection to LHR, CDG, or anywhere else AA flies. Would be great for award travel in business of first, but one long day in coach.

jbcarioca and desamo like this.
  11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep if Central Europe is your destination it becomes almost a two day journey since you would be spending another 4-5 hours doubling back from DXB... not even the best F in the world is worth that hassle to me.:)

12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) APD (yes, I know it's different when transiting vs stopping)

2) YQ (on BA). Absolutely distasteful and dishonest. Just price the fare accordingly and stop lying to me to try and make a sale.

3) More miles, and I can work from the plane so times make little difference... It's just more time in front of a laptop or sleeping

4) Better service than AA, and marginally BA from what I hear

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never (and never intend to) cross an ocean in coach, including to HI.

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm often in premium cabins, but a TPAC/TATL flight in Y isn't really all that bad if you're prepped. I've done LAX-LHR and ORD-PEK in Y in the last year, and lived to tell about it.

Exit rows help. :)

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I did IAD-NRT-SIN in Y last weekend and it was fine in the exit row. But, even in F, adding 10 hours to a trip that is nominally 10 hours or so is silly.

DestinationDavid and newbluesea like this.
  16. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    For IAG, it sure is a game-changer, and not in a good way. The talks with EK are likely the primary motivator for IAG taking a more active role in AA's bankruptcy in recent weeks.

17. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    European destinations aren't at issue here. It's the siphoning of higher-yield traffic flows from North America to Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia by a robust AA/EK partnership that worries IAG.

18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to see an actual deal before I start talking about how "game changing" something is. The QF/EK deal was game changing for QF, certainly. I doubt the scope of any potential EK/AA tie up will be similar in scope and scale. If EK ends up siphoning off connecting traffic into Africa/South Asia/Middle East, it'll rankle BA. Im not sue we've reached game changing levels just yet, tbh.

19. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wasnt AA/QF both founding fathers if you will of OW?

That would suck just to ditch them for EK. Why not just have EK join OW?

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    All good things must come to an end. ;)

Seriously though, I don't think anyone is suggesting this absolutely will happen, I believe WanderingAramean was just thinking out loud.

As for EK joining OW. Doubtful. What good would that do them?

edekba likes this.
  21. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not nearly as much as being an independent partner... hence where we are today!

jbcarioca and Wandering Aramean like this.
  22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. I know people get excited by the idea of EK joining OW, but.... !

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Mostly just thinking out loud and I don't think that OW is completely falling apart right now. But there are definitely some stress lines showing in the alliance, with losing a couple carriers earlier this year and now QF pushing a large portion of their connecting traffic outside the alliance. The goal of the alliances is to be able to market seamless, convenient connections and coverage. Oneworld's coverage has always been a bit of a challenge and this hits at the seamless connection aspect of things. Even where QF will share connection points with BA still the connections aren't going to be as well timed. And it is likely that the price situation for those connections won't be conducive either.

This isn't the death knell for the alliance, but if AA and EK start to push US-Africa/Middle East/South Asia across DXB instead of LHR and MAD the value of the alliance will be notably impacted.

jbcarioca and HeathrowGuy like this.
  24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. If this first pact goes through, I suspect it will be a "toe in the water" type of agreement. If things go well, and EK/AA expand and really funnel off the OW partners, I'd say that's the time when things are game changing.

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. IAG is almost certainly moving heaven and earth behind the scenes to ensure no deal between AMR and Emirates ever gets in the cradle in the first place.

2. An AA/EK partnership can be quite sizeable in scale. Lest we forget, AA's international gateways are situated in locales that feature strong leisure and business traffic demand to the very geographic areas EK is targeting in its growth plans.

It's entirely possible to envision, for instance, a re-think of the 77W/77E deployments such that AA places them on JFK/ORD/MIA/BOS-DXB runs.

Not to mention, barring a new wave of unfortunate Islamophobia in the American political/policy discourse, an AA/EK partnership would almost certainly sail through regulatory review because of Open Skies.

jbcarioca likes this.