Emirates cutting fares on A380

Discussion in 'Emirates | Skywards' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Jul 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. There must be major incantations in London, Paris, Frankfurt and Singapore right now, not to mention many other places. We, the customers, win.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    One problem with those planes is you really have to fill the seats to pay the mortgage.

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thats why I think the 787 types and a350's will do very well. Efficient, without having to haul 400 people to make a profit.

Gargoyle and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    True enough. The sales for both these types and the A320NEO do tell that story well. There is a large market for the huge point-to-point airplanes too, but enough to have Airbus and Boeing make money on them...is another story, much less likely. How can EK use 90 of those giants? We'll see. As a passenger I really love them. As a finance type I am more skeptical.

Lufthansa Flyer and Gargoyle like this.
  6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The A380's a based on an (in my opinion) extreme view of the hub-and-spoke system, moving massive volumes of people between hubs. The 787's and a350's allow much more flexible routing.

The A380 error is the same error many U.S. cities made in their 1950's and 1960's highway planning. Chicago, for example, built a spoke system of highways based on the concept that people would live in the suburbs, commute into the city in the morning and back out again in the evenings. Instead, we developed into a much more decentralized system, with a reverse commute as large as the primary commute (people living in the city and working in the suburb, or people working night shifts) and cross commutes (living in a northern suburb and working in a western suburb), resulting in huge traffic messes.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    The thing is nobody has to build a road between first-tier cities or second-tier cities- if "oops, not enough traffic" happens, it's pretty easy to discontinue a route. So I am not convinced a strategy that funnels people into megahubs on longhaul is an "error". You can't reasonably expect second-tier cities to have a lot of longhaul connectivity. Look at DEN, for instance- UA hub, UA flies exactly zero flights across the ocean from there, and there's a grand total of two airlines providing longhaul service: LH (to their superhub, FRA), and BA (to their superhub, LHR). No TPAC service. PHX is similar- major USA hub airline provides NO longhaul service, minimal TATL service (not even LH).

DXB is well-positioned as a hub on the Europe-Australia/India runs. It's less useful for NA destinations- the cases where it would be useful is for East Coast USA-India/SE Asia/Australia or West Coast USA-Africa, small backtrack on USA-DXB-India. The second set of markets mentioned is not particularly huge (note that UA doesn't have SFO-India service- they don't even have SFO-SIN nonstop service).

And one thing EK's strategy helps avoid is having to come into places like FRA in regional jets, or double-connect to Australia. I think I'd rather do HAM-DXB-BNE than HAM-FRA-BKK-BNE.