Emirates Crew – Truth of Being a Flight Attendant

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Oct 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Wow, it seems like lately every flight attendant is sharing their secrets with newspapers, magazines, bloggers, or reddit. It was just Sunday that I posted the explicit reddit entry which had a flight attendant answering some NSFW reader questions. Today’s entry comes from the Sydney Morning Herald, where an Emirates FA shares the “truth about being a flight attendant” (the reddit entry was likely an Emirates crew member as well).

Q – What’s the right thing to call you guys? Is it flight attendant? Hostie? Trolley dolly?

A – We usually use the term “cabin crew”. That’s fine.

Q – How did you get into the job?

A – I applied online, at the Emirates Group careers website. Then I went to an open day in Brisbane, did a few rounds of group activities, some little tests, and then I got the position. There’s about five different rounds I had to go through. We did group activities, a reach test to ensure you’re a certain height, and they see how you interact with other people. Then they sent me over to Dubai and set me up with a house.

Q – What’s your favourite stopover destination?

A – I love the beach destinations. I love Nice, and Mauritius, the Seychelles. We stay right on the beach in the Seychelles and Mauritius, it’s amazing. They’re really nice hotels.

Q – What does the cabin crew get up to on a stopover?

A – I try to get out and do things. In Mauritius last time our whole cabin crew, about 16 of us, hired a catamaran for the day and went snorkelling, walked in a rainforest… It was a really good day. We generally try to do things together.

Q – What’s the weirdest request you’ve had from a passenger?

A – I had one guy ask for a “whiskey on the rocks with no ice”. I had to try not to laugh. I’m like, “Do you want ice or without?” You just have to be polite and not laugh in those situations.

Q – Do you ever watch Air Crash Investigations?

A – Yeah I do! It doesn’t bother me. I’ve never really had a bad flight, our flights are always really smooth. So it doesn’t really scare me, I find it really interesting.

Q – How do you deal with jet-lag?

A – It’s good to have…check out the rest of the Q&As over at the SMH here.

Some fun related posts:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• [​IMG]
      [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Continue reading...