Emirates airlines allows passengers to use mobile phones in-flight

Discussion in 'Emirates | Skywards' started by sobore, Oct 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.slashgear.com/emirates-a...gers-to-use-mobile-phones-in-flight-09250990/

Flying on a commercial airline can be a very annoying proposition. If you’re like me and always seem to get stuck in the middle seat between two people who should have purchased a pair of seats each, a flight can be a nightmare. I can only imagine how annoying it would be if those two people were chatting away on their mobile phones during the entire flight.

[​IMG]

While using a mobile phone isn’t allowed on commercial flights within United States, Emirates has announced that it will begin allowing passengers on its A380 airline fleet to use their cell phones while in flight. The service works with normal mobile phones in conjunction with an in-flight Wi-Fi company called OnAir. Since the FAA bans the use of cell phones in the United States on commercial flights, the service is shut off when Emirates aircraft are within 250 miles of the US.

Read More: http://www.slashgear.com/emirates-a...gers-to-use-mobile-phones-in-flight-09250990/

Newscience, gregm, MSYgirl and 2 others like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    A sign of our times, I guess. Eventually the FAA will have to rethink due to demand.

3. Nasirkhan

Nasirkhan New Member

Status Points:
  4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not a fan of this becoming the norm.

5. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fly EK a lot, gregm, and find this feature isn't a problem. It's mostly available on the A380s and only the newest 777-300ERs. The A380 has so much privacy in business that it's not a problem. If your seat mate uses it on the 773, you might get annoyed. If you're flying coach you're likely hating life already because of the chattier/whinier cultures who I shall not name.

Just my opinion.