Emerald Executive Elite Benefits?

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by kayjay, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently became an EEE with National.
    My question is, can I pick up a Premium car from the lot, although I actually made a reservation for a midsize car?

2. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No you can't unless a premium is in Executive Selection (for those locations with EA/ES). Otherwise you are entitled to the class you reserved.

MyMiles&Points likes this.
  3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    so what's the point having that status?

4. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Off the top of my head, I think the point is that you pay one car class lower than the car class you reserve; but that benefit starts at full size and goes up. Reserving a mid-size wouldn't get you the benefit.[​IMG]

5. I don't quite understand what the real benefit is of making Elite vs. Executive. A little bit faster earn and the sold-out guarantee seem to be it. Not worth the effort compared to strategicially bidding for Premium and Luxury cars on priceline, or shopping weekend promo rates to leverage FF bonuses.

jackal and 2soonold like this.
  6. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:

I don't mean to be contradictory but... according to {quote below}, you do reserve a full size but always get the mid-size rate or if you reserve whatever you want, you always pay one class less. That has also been my experience when putting it to practice. Reserve an SUV, pay the full (or is it premium) rate, or reserve a full size and take whatever you see from the aisle (at the mid-size price).

My last rental was reserved as mid-size, and I took an SUV.
    I also wrote prior to my first rental at this status level and asked if I just reserved an SUV what would I pay? Answer: I would pay for Premium (or may have been Luxury), at any rate it was $70 a day less.

BartonW likes this.
  7. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I always reserve a mid size and pick from the Executive aisle. Same benefits for both levels.

bthobe likes this.
  8. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me too - I just did it last night in Miami. I'm currently rocking a Ford Edge Limited SUV (which is a surprisingly nice car!! Has nav, Sirius radio, etc). Way to go Exec status :)

theBOAT

bthobe likes this.
  9. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haha! I sorta knew I would not win on this one even before I responded[​IMG]. Smarter minds than mine have stumbled trying to explain the Emerald Club.[​IMG]
    I'd try again but it's sorta like the proverbial blind men describing the elephant. Several of the salient points have already been covered in the posts to this thread.[​IMG] Keep calm and carry on.[​IMG]

tommy777 likes this.
  10. I used to be EEE - I found that I got some very nice upgrades at smaller stations. MHT and SDF were pretty much "whaddaya want to drive?" if the station manager was there and I had a fullsize rental.

11. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends on how you travel. At this point, greater than 90% of my travel is business. They have negotiated good rates and bennies, want us to use them, and they are paying the bills....so it doesn't really make a lot of sense to spend the time bidding on priceline. (and of course most weekends don't come into play) I like National because I can pick the car that best matches the trip.....and most often, the better/newer/lower mileage cars are found in the Elite aisles.

bthobe likes this.
  12. I have been EEE for years and the rental is always a midsize price and choose any for the aisle, which depends on inventory. It is never a midsize car. Worst case is the ever present Impala, but Richmond gave me a Maxima and Lucerne as they were there. JAX during Daytona was very limited but they had a Toyota Venza which was nice. I prefer Chargers with low miles and therefore satellite radio. Places like CLT or ORD, I can go from car to car.
    Only thing I don't get is that free days don't pile up very quickly, but the point is choice of a larger car while paying less.

2soonold likes this.
  13. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Meh... I've had EEE since they initiated that status level and I've never noticed anything special other than the extra aisle (which lately seems to give me my choice of color on my Impala). And on our corporate agreement, mid-size and full-size rent for exactly the same rental rate.

14. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's technically the rule. On some larger lots actual practice is rather different, and they never question an Executive Elite driving out in a premium class car that didn't come off the Executive Aisle. Luxury class cars, which never have the keys in them, are an entirely different story.

2soonold likes this.
  15. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only times I've driven a car at the level I reserved was when I wanted to drive a smaller car. I almost always find something at a higher class in the Executive aisle. Even when I reserved a "small" 4x4 SUV, I got a large Ford SUV (Explorer or Expedition).

There was one night I arrived at LAX and found no cars in the Executive OR Emerald aisles. I was immediately given a Mercedes for the week, no waiting, no problem. A higher level of service.

The other benefit I've used once or twice was having a car delivered to a GA airport for the times I went privately.

bthobe likes this.
  16. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    exactly.
    that would seem to be your situation. Most of my rentals are on weekends and I've found that the bene's of being an EEE or EE was well worth the slight extra cost compared to PL. YMMV.

17. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    EE = redeem free days up to full-size.
    EEE = redeem free days for any luxury, crossover, SUV, or convertible category you can find on the web site, and probably a couple you can't.

Huge difference for me, as I like renting the GMC Acadia/Buick Enclave crossover or the Jeep Grand Cherokees for long driving vacations.

krusty likes this.
  18. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    really? wow, I never knew.[​IMG]

19. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    This proves that you don't listen to me when we're at dinner together.... :p

tommy777 likes this.
  20. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that still the case post-3/10 (new Ts and Cs took effect...)

As of now website says what you say. PDF of old rules doesn't specify, and PDF of new rules says "up to luxury". It'd be a shame if the flexibility beyond luxury is being taken away.

21. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't realize there were new T&Cs... I just did a test booking for this summer at a large location (ATL) and the behavior hadn't changed - the magic "coupon will be applied" showed up for all the car classes up to and including a 15 passenger van. I pressed on for a premium crossover, and it applied the free days against the silly $285/day rate (the luxury rate was $99/day) with no problem.

mattsteg likes this.
  22. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully it continues that way, particularly for newly-minted rental credits. I'm only EE now, but may be EEE by year end. If the "pick a car, any car" status quo is maintained then I'll do what's necessary to get there as that adds a ton of value for personal travel.

travelingmore likes this.
  23. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    can I blame it on the wine not the guest??????

tommy777 likes this.
  24. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The private airport delivery benefit might be worth having EEE. When my dad flies his small plane, he usually lands at municipal airports and needs a way to get into town. National promises to deliver a car to a private airport within 50 miles of one of their rental offices if you're EEE.