Emerald Club benefits at Enterprise

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by Exiled in Express, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today's email:

We're pleased to announce a valuable enhancement to your Emerald Club® benefits. Now you can earn Emerald Club rental credits at participating Enterprise Rent-A-Car locations, including more than 6,000 neighborhood locations in the U.S. and Canada. This vastly improves your ability to achieve Executive® or Executive Elite® status and earn Free Rental Days on your Emerald Club account.

Your qualifying* Enterprise rentals will count toward improving your Emerald Club status and earning Free Rental Days redeemable at National locations only. So whenever you need to rent a vehicle and National is not an option, rent from a participating Enterprise location to keep your Emerald Club rental credits coming.

If done correctly National/E just blew Hertz Local out of the water and made me a very happy camper. Still digesting the terms but *qualifying day refers to Emerald Club T&Cs so weekend specialsds should qualify.

I played around with the site and it seems one way rentals are not bookable on enterprise.com. The Emerald Club portal is offering a discount of about 10% off rack rate, National airport pickup is still winning on price in the limited weekend searches I did. The driver data on the EC profile does transfer, I accidentially made a reservation by clicking through to check that out.

sobore likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    You earn National credits towards status and towards free rental days on Enterprise rentals. You do not have your Emerald Club 'benefits' otherwise honored at Enterprise.. And you cannot redeem your National free rental days at Enterrpise.

More opportunities to earn are great, even if those opportunities come with a hard sell for the CDW/LDW... ;)

ssullivan likes this.
  3. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well hopefully the Enterprise locations will know how to work this.

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    this is huge for me, even though ORD National lot is only 1 mile further away than my nearest Enterprise, so therefore very easy for me to get to, the mid week prices at Enterprise are easily 1/2 that of ORD. I'm very pleased.

5. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, I found that midweek situation, too.:)

6. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is fine, but it won't get me to change my feelings about Enterprise. I'll still only rent from them as pretty much a last resort. I prefer to not have scare tactics used to try and con me into buying insurance I don't want or need, or to have to deal with cars that are stripped down of what should be standard equipment, like air bags, power locks, and cruise control.

2soonold and sobore like this.
  7. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've rented a few times from Enterprise. Walk ups to non airport locations.
    When I ask them to add my Emerald Club # they say they can't do it. Even the manager said so.
    Are they just not bothered, ignorant or does the Enterprise really not have a way to add an Emerald Club #?

8. ERAC can definitely add EC numbers... at airport and neighborhood locations... have been able to for over a year now. Some employees fear adding your profile because it could adjust the rates if you have a corporate discount linked. Demand it now! Earn EC credits at Enterprise, burn them at NCR!! :)

I work for EHI. I'm not going to disagree with you... haha. :D Most employees aren't going to scare you into taking coverage. Some will. It's just the nature of the beast. I'm sure for every Enterprise employee you find that does it, you could probably find a carbon copy of that person at a competitor. Sorry you seem to get the ones that 'bleed green' and won't let you leave without Damage Waiver. Easiest way to get out of the conversation is to say "no thanks, where do I initial to decline?". If you're truly disinterested and don't ask questions about it, they'll move on to the next customer. Is it ethical to be so aggressive? If you're fully disclosing the products and the potential that you may be duplicating coverage, I think it's just fine. That's sales unfortunately. If you're tricking people and being deceitful, we don't want you working for us... mostly because you're a headache to your manager and the people above him or her!!

As far as the vehicles and standard equipment you were mentioning, when I was a youngin' and still working in the branches, I would be embarrassed trying to get people into some cars. Trust me, it's not fun offering you the bright blue PT Cruiser or the Chevy Cobalt with roll-up windows and stains all over the seats. I would often bitch and moan about how disgusting some cars looked and how we should spend more on professional detailing. Hopefully you realize that the employee renting you the car has very little or absolutely no control over pulling that car or spending company money to try to get it detailed. Here's a pro-tip: if I'm renting you the car and it absolutely sucks, either bring it to a nearby branch to get switched out into a car they may have (call ahead, please) or just simply ask the guy renting you the car if you can come back later for something different. Be cool, not condescending and demanding, and more often than not we'll hook you up.

Exiled in Express and 2soonold like this.
  9. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Words to live by everywhere.

topher likes this.
  10. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is EHI?

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, as a leisure traveler I usually need to be on the road before "later".

11. I hear ya. Most people are probably in the same boat. Just throwing it out there.

EHI is the parent company to Enterprise, National, Alamo and WeCar. Stands for Enterprise Holdings Inc.

12. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks; it finally came to me what EHI stood for.
    It's been a number of years now, but twice(once with Enterprise, once with a competitor)I've called to swap out cars over a relatively minor issue; and both times I was told bring it in and our mechanics will try to fix it for you. Both times the gambler in me said " not on my time and dime; let's see if it will hold together through the rental period.".

13. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's all fine and dandy. Sure, I can exchange the car. That's a big hassle, and something I'd rather avoid from the start by not having to deal with a lot populated with some of those cars.

I appreciate the work you do, and trust me, I'm always cool and professional and polite. But, sadly, I've yet to have a really good experience renting from Enterprise over the last 15 years. Granted, I've mainly reserved Enterprise as a "last resort" option when nothing else was available, or when my car was in for repairs after an accident and that's who the insurance company arranged a replacement rental with. But, dealing with things like a $70/day charge at an airport location for a PT Cruiser with roll-up windows and manual locks that had over 50,000 miles on it, and being given a hard sell on the insurance while I repeatedly said I was declining it, has left a bad taste in my mouth. I've also witnessed the decline in service with National that has slowly happened since Enterprise purchased National a few years ago. So, forgive me if I'm a little jaded. I'm glad to hear Enterprise has good people, and believe me, I know they're not all bad apples. But there are quite a few out there, maybe more than you think, and it's just a brand that has traditionally focused its business on a very different market segment from National. So, while some of this stuff may be acceptable to the person who rents a car for a weekend once a year, or an insurance replacement rental, it's not at all acceptable to a very frequent business traveler who values quality, efficiency in getting out the door and into the car, and loyalty rewards. I realize the guy at the rental desk has no control over these things, and I'd never take it out on him. But, given those experiences, it's hard to be excited over this "improvement" in Emerald Club.

14. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    ;)
    I liked this post; and think it is a well stated point from the business traveler's perspective.
    As a leisure traveller, I've had my best experiences with Enterprise when the company was in a "Customer Service" initiative. This "weekend" I'm driving Avis because of the AAdvantage/Avis promo. There is little doubt in my mind that over the next 3 months this Enterprise/Emerald club "feature" will direct many of my rentals to Enterprise/National. I will probably be less likely to rent from their competitors, and I will possibily rent more vehicles than I otherwise would because of the "feature".
    And, I'll let you readers know if Enterprise gives me any trouble.;)

15. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm almost loath to admit this, but my first job out of college many moons ago was with ERAC in the northeast. In my defense, it was just a brief time between undergrad and grad school...

But, I have to agree with the general idea that the company culture is not suited to serve the airport based business market. My first branch was in a local area that focused on insurance replacements mostly to lower income groups who were, frankly, often being taken advantage of by local body shops. From there I was "promoted" for a brief time to an airport location which really struggled with its business model given the very different demands of a mixed business/leisure travel consumer base.

While it's been a long time since I worked there, my more recent experiences with company suggest that they still train and incentivise their people the same way--sell waive, sell upgrade, sell waive--which makes them a very questionable fit for the typical business traveler who has either corporate coverage of one sort or another or primary coverage through a credit card and places a premium on just getting out of the airport in a car. Frankly, despite having once been one of those earnest kids in a shirt and tie, these days the last thing I want is to deal with them and their hard sell.

16. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a college friend that went to work for them and I heard a lot of eye-opening stories from him during his tenure with Enterprise. I also interviewed with them right as I graduated college but wasn't hired. It's just as well; I don't think I would have really been a good fit for them, or them a good fit for me.

17. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just did my first Enterprise rental in a while, with the full hard-sell personal-interaction experience. Big contrast vs what I'm used to at National.

Car is fine, reasonably-equipped Focus. Something I could see on the Emerald Aisle. Not impressed with the "Sync" bluetooth implementation, though.
    Process takes too long, and for a business traveler that will never go for any of the add-ons, not a productive use of my time or theirs.
    They had massive personnel overhead and were taking each customer out to their car, checking for damage, etc. With the cheap rates they were offering (half of the competition) they must be making great traction with their upsells.
    Sales guy was friendly and able to take no for an answer, so not too much of an annoyance. Definitely a lot of wasted time.

Great reminder of just how good the typical National experience is, even for basic members in the program. I feel like in many ways I got the best of Enterprise (decent car, friendly service, no real wait in line, upselling, but accepting an answer of no, etc.) but still didn't particularly like it. There was some sort of manager inquiring about service at the exit, and I couldn't help but think she wasn't asking the question in a way that I could give an accurate answer, so I said "fine". The guy providing the service did a great job, but the whole framework provides an experience that is not so great.

JennB, 2soonold and sobore like this.
  18. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review. The National experience is better than most. When it comes to rental cars, less contact is a better experience. Years ago I rented from Enterprise and remember having to answer so many questions I needed my lawyer present.:(

19. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just thinking about about going back to Enterprise. I have had good experiences with Enterprise when they are having a customer service initiative. The weak part has been the car; and I am usually renting economy. But I've noticed that since I've made National Executive, I've been lulled into renting cars that are maybe nicer than I actually need to get the job done. Sometimes, when I get my butt in gear, I can be more productive with a one day midweek Aveo than I am with a two day weekend Lucerne.;) And, I can still get that credit toward my 12 rental Executive mark.

20. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good review.

I agree that their sales tactic just doesn't fit travelers like us. The upsell may work with the casual renters who are getting a car for a vacation or something but personally, I want to point at the car I want and they make it happen. I'm not sure if our National status is visible to Enterprise staff but perhaps they should take note of it and recognize that we are not casual renters and should be treated accordingly. I have yet to try Enterprise since their benefits change and this is why. I have no desire to take 30+ minutes to rent a car. No desire to have them assign me a car, me refuse it, search for another, be told the one I want isn't available, sign this, read that, wait wait wait.

For now, I'll continue to go slightly out of my way if needed to rent from National. In the odd, out of the norm emergency, I'll go with Enterprise above the others because I get rental credits but not for my travel rentals.

mattsteg likes this.
  21. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That more or less matches my experience/plans/desires. For reference, this was at DEN (and it looks like I may have some fun getting out tonight!)

Enterprise is my second* choice by a fair bit. Sometimes the price difference is just too large to ignore, though.

The experience at DEN is a fair bit streamlined from what you describe, at least. A salesperson takes you out to the lot and you can do the car selection there. Paperwork is completed out at the car as well. The upsells were offered, but refusing was not difficult and they took no for no. The whole setup is implemented about as smoothly and customer-friendly as the "Enterprise approach" can be, and I guess I appreciate that, even if the approach does not meet my needs. Hence my inability to offer accurate feedback to the manager's inquiry regarding service. They're trying, but it's still a round peg in a square hole.

*as a matched president's circle member at Hertz, I suppose I'd consider them as well.

22. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know it's a little better at the airport locations (or at least DEN). All of my Enterprise experiences that I can remember have been suburban, stand alone locations and quite time consuming.