Emerald aisle copy comes to Hertz?

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by tommy777, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Folks,

When getting a car at ORD on Sunday I saw a sign saying "#1 Club Gold -- Take your pick". It was not in use, but it looked like Hertz is starting an Emerald Aisle copy.

Anyone have any facts on this?

Cheers

jbcarioca and gleff like this.
  2. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would be nice!

jbcarioca and East_Yorker like this.
  3. I work for ERAC/NCR and I've heard whisperings of this. Haven't been able to obtain any legit details. There is definitely quite a buzz building that the Emerald Aisle won't be alone soon. Can any Hertz employees confirm?? Interested to see how exactly this would work with such a significantly smaller fleet.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always found Emerald Aisle to be a good idea but usually no big advantage because the actual available cars have not been ones i cared to choose anyway. Hertz probably will not be much different. Still, I like choosing more than being arbitrarily assigned.

2soonold likes this.
  5. Ktremor

Ktremor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea of the Emerald Aisle, but sometime I catch my self spending too much time trying to fine the right car and like when the car assigned to me.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Emerald Aisle is the #1 reason I rent from National. I am picky with cars and have had so many bad one assigned to me over the years, I refuse to do it again. If Hertz starts this type of service, I will certainly give it a try.

2soonold, mht_flyer and jbcarioca like this.
  7. Ktremor

Ktremor Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the end it all comes down to what if offered on the aisle as in a lot of places it can be hit or miss with the quantity and quality of the selection that is offered at the location.

2soonold and jbcarioca like this.
  8. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would love to see Emerald Isle like service at Hertz, for no other reason than to be able to really follow in my preferences for the cars I rent (I don't trust the Altimas, and rental Camry's are pretty bad). If they also go with the special section for elites, then it only gets better because then I can choose the upgrade type depending on the trip (instead of getting an "upgrade" to a prius)

2soonold likes this.
  9. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
  10. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link; looks good to me.
    When I started renting 4 years ago, my airline of choice had an exclusive arrangement with Hertz. In the beginning things were good. Then I started having troubles getting my airline miles. Then I went to pick up my econo rental one night @ ATL and the Hertz employee refused to let me have an econo car:eek:. We ended up voiding the contract; and I got an econo from Avis. That's when I began renting more from Avis:).
    All the while, I liked the choice factor at Alamo/National. This year I finally joined the Emerald Club. I made Executive by the end of September and have been very happy.
    My last Hertz rental was in 2010, for an airline bonus offer. I picked up my assigned vehicle at night. In the daylight it was obviously a high milage beater.
    This new Hertz idea is interesting, but I always get a decent car with National, my airline miles post with National, and I am generally happy with any upgrade that I get with National.
    How will it be at Hertz?

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the "issue" that I have with Hertz is that they've pretty much devalued the Gold membership to the point that anybody can have it. Right now it's been free for months, and will continue to be free until 12/15 -- so you don't have to do anything other than register and rent once from them to automatically be included.

Gold Choice is definitely a good idea, but it looks like in some of these high traffic airports you're just going to be fighting with all the other new Gold members anyway.

jbcarioca and 2soonold like this.
  12. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. I would be pretty upset if my assigned vehicle was another dog, and there was nothing better to be had in Gold Choice. And then, if I had trouble with my airline miles posting I'd really be frosted.:mad::D

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    This 5* reserved a midsize car at EWR Friday morning & arrived to find my assigned car was blocked in its space on all 4 sides!

Asked Mgr about just picking a car from Gold Choice & was told "no, it's not working"

Before I could ask what she meant, I noticed that all the cars in that area came with an upcharge (including even a crappy midsize). Mgr confirmed that GC cars cost more do it's not really like National's EA.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
  15. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen this at both DEN, LGA and LAS.

Nothing really attractive in the Gold Choice aisle. The upgrades are tempting but not well priced. Got an Dodge AWD SUV upgrade from a full size at DEN, and would need to pay 45/day extra for a fancier SUV (Infniti). The base rate was 200/week, just didn't seem worth it.

jbcarioca likes this.