Embry Riddle?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by misterbwong, Feb 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey Everyone,

One of my younger family members wants to become a pilot and considering transferring to Embry-Riddle in AZ or FL (he is currently in a 4-yr univ in CA). Since I don't know anything about the aviation industry and job prospects, I thought I'd come ask the experts. ;)

The main questions I have are:

1. Is going to to Embry-Riddle even worth it? It's quite expensive but I'm more interested in whether it'll put him in a good position to actually be a pilot when he comes out.
    2. Is there a reason to choose one campus over the other?
    3. What are job prospects like for recent grads in the aviation and piloting industry?
    4. Is it even worth it the time/effort/money to go to Embry-Riddle or is there an alternative/better option?
    5. Anything else he should be aware of going into this line of work?

He really wants to be a pilot so we're just trying to help him figure out what makes the most sense and keeps his future options open.

Thanks all!

Jimgotkp likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what the tuition is but I used to attend Purdue and they have a fantastic Aviation program as well. The negative is you need to have a private pilot's license before you can be a part of the program, not sure what the requirements are at Embry-Riddle.

[​IMG]

FriendlySkies and misterbwong like this.
  3. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the option! Embry-Riddle doesn't require a pilots license before admittance because they say you will come out with one through their program.

4. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that by the time he graduates he'll likely need 750 to 1000 hours to get a non-teaching job if these proposed changes that have been rumored go in to effect. Not sure he'll get that just by flying in college.