Email survey - testing "incentives" to get Elites to check baggage...

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Travel2Food, Apr 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got an email survey as follow-up to my LAX-IAD flight last week. Lots of questions about service, efficiency, whether carry-on rules were enforced, TSA "courtesy and wait time" (LAX - HAHA), and so forth. The additional questions were to the point: "What reasons did you not check baggage (prioritize 1-4)", "If AA were to give 500 miles for checking bags, would you?" "If AA were to give 1000 miles for checking bags, would you?", "What would we have to do to get you to check bags".....

Very interesting. Testing incentives to get elites to check bags.

Personally, incentives wouldn't do it for a variety of reasons - including TSA, time to deliver bags, and risk of losing bags when I'm on a series of one-night stands.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I already check my luggage almost 100% of the time, so miles would be a bonus for me.

3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would love miles for checking bags. But alas, I am not elite.

4. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I rarely check my bags in, but for say a AA mile for every mile I flew, maybe :)

5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be happy to check them on the way home from international destinations, or domestic destinations for that matter, but after having bags go missing twice on international trips over the last 20 years, I'm just not willing to deal with a bag not arriving, particularly if my plans are to hop a train, bus or different airline after I arrive and head to a city not serviced by AA.

I'd need to see some type of guarantee offering cash up front if your bag does not arrive, and additional cash for each subsequent day it doesn't catch up with you, no matter where you are. Miles alone are not adequate compensation for arriving at a foreign destination without a checked bag.

Tom in Brussels (strictly carry-on for this trip)

rchavez and sobore like this.
  6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    It’s a good idea having a cash guarantee. If full RFID luggage tracking ever goes into effect everyone will come out a winner.

milchap likes this.
  7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really dislike checking bags, because I like to be on my way when we hit the ground, and I travel light. Let the people who bring along the steamer trucks check luggage. ;)

8. GeneCMH
    Original Member

GeneCMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. The risk of a bag not making it, the minimum of 20 minutes wait time to get it, and limited options in case of irops, generally keeps me from doing it. If this were a more reliable process, I'd welcome not having to slug my bag around and hope for overhead space. Until then....it would take many miles to convince me.

9. scoow
    Original Member

scoow Silver Member

Status Points:
    For enough miles, I would be happy to check an empty box. :) But I prefer to keep anything I need at my destination with me.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Now that's an idea! ;)

11. rchavez
    Original Member

rchavez Active Member

Status Points:
    I am in the camp of no thanks until there are some guarantees.

I generally carry on, but I've had some pretty large foul ups when checking my bags with oneworld airlines. My MTTR my bags is between 2-3 days.

QF when flying JFK-LAX-SYD on the same aircraft...somehow bags never made it. Reunited in AYQ 3 days later.
    AA/BA flying LAX-LHR-BCN, bags made it to BCN on the next flight, but not reunited for 3 days after having to go to the airport to retrieve.
    BA/AA flying FCO-LHR-JFK-LAX. At JFK, missing one bag. Arrived 2 days later.

And before anyone says, well, that's just a small sample size. Yes, it's only 3 flights, but I've probably checked my bag on international flights maybe 12 times in my life. Of those 12-odd times, 4 were on SQ. So not really a great average.

Yeah, now, if I'm checking luggage, I'm taking a carry on with 4-5 days worth of clothes. If I'm traveling alone for a quick trip, no way in hell am I checking a bag.

12. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, what a great idea. Just 'cuz one is checking a bag doesn't mean there's anything in it. And I'm sure several would jump on that train. Would probably open up to abuses,er, ideas like just checking in some worthless, old, thrift-shop-ready piece of luggage you know you're going to throw away and never pick it up on arrival....

I used to not like checking bags for the seemingly endless wait time to claim them on arrival. But, having done so on my last few trips, the priority tags have worked well, and the bag is right there waiting for me by the time I clear customs.

13. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    To check a bag:
    • Guarantee that the wait to get the bags off the belt is less than 15 minutes.
    • Guarantee that the bags will be there on the belt.

14. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention being able to easily switch flights when one has only carry-ons.

Personally, I think AA is barking up the wrong tree: rather than trying to get elites to check, AA should get the kettles to check. For example, if AA switched from charging for all checked bags with free carry-ons, to charging for all carry-ons and offering one free checked bag, we'd see a massive shift from over-stuffed bins and slow boarding to empty bins and quick boarding.

DesertRose likes this.
  15. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the same email, and I always prefer to check my bags, so if they give me miles for it, it will be a very good plus+!!!! Hope they do that soon!!!

16. nAAshville

nAAshville Member

Status Points:
    The other thing to consider: one is limited to walk on an earlier flight as standby. I've had many instances, especially headed home at the end of a travel week, in which I land at a hub and, alas, an earlier connecting flight is running late and I'm able to walk up to the gate and grab a standby seat. I would not be able to do this if I had checked bag(s) at point of departure.

DesertRose likes this.
  17. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find the notion of giving travelers incentive to check bags very interesting. Isn't this really a reaction to a problem that was caused by airline (people hauling everything onboard to avoid paying checked bag fee)?

Like tom911, I would want a cash guarantee for bags that don't arrive with me at my destination. In the past 3 years, I've had bags delayed 4 times.

18. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Somebody remind me, but isn't there an airline that offers you mileage if your bags aren't in your hot little hands within 20 minutes? That would work for me.

Mike

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Alaska Airlines.

20. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup. 20 minutes from docking at the gate. Collected for the first time on my last trip: 21 minutes. 2,000 miles or $20 off the next ticket.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/policies/baggage-service-guarantee.aspx

mikeef likes this.
  21. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys. I would absolutely check more bags with a policy like that one. Especially when we're traveling with the kids, since it takes us 20 minutes just to get off the plane.

Mike