Email from SPG: Our records indicate you have updated your e-mail address, when I did not

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by GFowler, Aug 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. GFowler
    Original Member

GFowler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just received the following email indicating my SPG email address was changed. I have made no changes to my SPG account email address in years so I immediately contacted the Plat desk as instructed. The email headers are correct and they are the same/similar to other emails originating from SPG. It is not phishing since there is no info requested and the link goes to starwoodhotels.com.

I was asked to forward the email to the person I spoke to who will have it investigated by program services.

I suspect this is a false alarm but I take unauthorized changes to my accounts very seriously. My online account and what the rep sees has the correct email address.

Has any one else received this email recently when they have made no changes? If so please post on here and also notify SPG as instructed.

Email from GCCUSTSERVICE@confirm.starwoodhotels.com <GCCUSTSERVICE@confirm.starwoodhotels.com>
    Dear GFowler,

Our records indicate you have updated your e-mail address on your Starwood Preferred Guest® account.

xxxxxx@yyyyyyy.COM is no longer your address on file.

If any of this information is not correct, contact your nearest Starwood Preferred Guest Customer Contact Center immediately.

Thank you,
    Starwood Preferred Guest Account Integrity Team​

2. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    When you logged into your account at spg.com and clicked on My Account, then My Profile, did it still have your old email address listed under Contact Information?

When you do this check, be sure to open a new browser window and type in "spg.com" directly instead of clicking on the link in that email you received.

3. GFowler
    Original Member

GFowler Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is exactly what happened. I used the email in the link for the contact info and verified before opening that it went to starwoodhotels.com/... before opening and found the contact phone number for the Plat desk. I then verified it was the same phone number that was stored in my cellphone before calling it.

To save time I was doing that in parallel with another window to verify that my email address had not changed.

4. GFowler
    Original Member

GFowler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is the reply I received today. It was delayed because of the recent Starwood email outage. [emphasis mine]

Dear Mr. GFowler,
    Thank you for your reply.
    I am sorry for your frustration over this matter. There are occasions when these emails are initiated by our system when there has, in fact, not been a change to a member's email address. Our computerized system will, occasionally, generate such an email without cause. After reviewing your account, I cannot see when or where an email address change has occurred recently on your account. I apologize for any dissatisfaction you are feeling about the explanation you have received, and I am sorry if my explanation does not satisfy you. These occasional, infrequent computer glitches can be alarming, so I do understand your concern, but please rest assured, we are aware of the problem and efforts are being made to rectify it.
    Have a great day, and please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Best Regards,
    XXXXXX XXXXX
    Platinum E-Concierge
    Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

This is pure BS. Do they think I am someone who does not understand computer hardware and software?
    Our computerized system will, occasionally, generate such an email without cause.
    There is a cause. Poor design and testing. Properly designed computers don't normally flip coins and spit out a false email if heads comes up 5 times in a row. To some it may appear that way but computers and their software are highly deterministic. You just need to know the conditions. There a few ways a computer can be non-deterministic. E.g some hardware failures or software that takes into consideration the quantum state of a particle. I doubt the later is the case here.

Am I over-reacting? Feedback is welcome, especially from other computer professionals.