Elite vs. Non-elite/Star Redemptions within Canada

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by Explore, Mar 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not trying to book a world-spanning trip on AC, just a Canadian and/or transborder hop in Y. Scuttlebutt suggests there is much more award availability for Aeroplan elites vs. others. If so, that contrasts with UA, where special 1K award inventory (Y only) a couple of months ahead is only slightly more generous than inventory available to any Tom, Dick or Harry. The vast majority of UA midcon and transcon flights are not available for 2 or 3 1K award seats, except perhaps in the last couple of weeks.

How is AC elite reward redemption different from this picture?

2. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    SE status certainly gets you additional availability, albeit at a cost.

But if you are booking a flight on AC metal through the UA program (I see from your signature that you are a UA 1K), the AC program availability will be irrelevant to you. Or are you actually planning to book using AC miles?

3. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    i recall seeing some Elite Award Options highlighted with a yellow/gold arrow on the Aeroplan page. However, the mileages are ridiculously high to the point of non consideration for me. I-Class to I-Class, X-Class to X-Class we are all on par

4. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    So there is no additional AC award availability for AC elites except by forking over more miles? That's not what I had in mind. I'm talking about increased elite award availability at the DISCOUNT (capacity-controlled) mileage rate.

5. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    i cannot say for Super Elite members

But for Elite members - no there are no additional AC award availability at discount/capacity controlled mileage rate.

6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know, members of other STAR programs don't have any additional access to award inventory on AC flights than do AE members. However, they often don't have to pay the same fuel supplement and fees that AE members do when redeeming AC flights. That's why I use my Mileage Plus miles for AC flights, and my AE miles for flights on other STAR partners.