Elite Status

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by snc1019, Mar 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. snc1019

snc1019 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well for only the second time since 1995 I missed being Delta Air Lines top tier customer previously called Platinum Medallion now called Diamond Medallion. The last time I missed being a top tier level customer was 1999 when I lost my job in mid-December as was 6 segments short. This time was 2011 due to being out of work for 10 months and still only missed being a Diamond by 20,000 MQM's. Both times I wrote Delta Air Lines asking that I be granted the top tier status and both times I was turned down. I would have thought that I deserved at least a one off on one of my request. Of all the companies who happened to file bankruptsy and depended on our loyalty.

Being loyal to one airline almost 100% exclusively since 1995 and traveling around 1.8 million MQM miles since then gets nothing in return. Now that I am a Platinum Medallion things certainly change on the customer service level when calling the customer service. They seem less inclined to help and certainly no longer thank me for my business when I call the Elite desk. Disappointed to say the least! It seems like loyalty is a one way street and I no longer live in that neighborhood!

2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing? You got 15 years of Diamond Medallion treatment and 2 years of Platinum Medallion. Doesn't sound like "nothing" to me! I'm not sure what else you expect. There are clear requirements to attain and maintain each status level. Delta is particularly generous with roll-over miles in this respect. In your case while you didn't make Diamond you still have very, very high status. Count your blessings and you'll be happier. Count your flight segments and you'll be Diamond again next year.

3. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry that you were out of work for so long.

One advantage of being PM is that you may reach the Chisolm desk on occasion. DMs seem to be primarily SLC and CVG. My DM experiences with SLC agents are mixed at best.

David

USAF_Pride likes this.
  4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I would give for a dedicated # to Chisolm!!

DiverDave likes this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fortunately, I've had excellent experiences with SLC. :)

DiverDave likes this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's no secret that DL does not give away DM status. Much like sift landings have gone away with Rollover.

I'm glad to hear you've returned to work. Happy flying now that you're back in the sky!

7. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience has been different - all the PM agents that I have received this year made a note to thank me for my business. Anyway, as others have mentioned, with 30K of rollover, you will be back to DM this year. Remember, "it is better to have loved and lost (DM), then to have never experienced it... :)

8. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even as a GM, I'm pretty sure I got thanked for being a medallion/for my business all the time. Yesterday's painful call to the PM line (recounted in The Lounge) restoring SWU'd AF segments that disappeared and correctly assessing the UK APD might have ended without that thanks, but I can understand why that might have happened. The poor agent got stuck playing a game of telephone between me and IRRRES over incorrect tax assessment on the upgraded ticket, and I don't think she enjoyed it very much.

9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this enough for you to leave DL over?

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As a PM I find they always thank me for my business. Durring irrops at JFK in Jan., the GA's who were helping me made a point as they talked to others or called in on the phone (to both DL and AF to fix things) of saying "we have a PM here who has been inconvenienced, we need to help with this".

DeltaExpert and rwoman like this.
  11. tomphot

tomphot Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you dial the 218 number, your still routed to SLC most of the time.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Periodically I think about avoiding DM just to be able to reach Chisholm when I call.

DeltaExpert, Gtitan and USAF_Pride like this.
  13. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    My love for Chisholm will never end. They were the best in the business.

rwoman, brfort and MSPeconomist like this.
  14. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correction. They ARE the best in the business. Every now and then, I get connected to Chisholm. I can instantly know when I am on with them and when that happens I thank them for being the best in the business and that I miss them as my #1 NWA call center.

15. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bless Ya! I stand corrected.:)

rwoman and MSPeconomist like this.
  16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately I'd say something between was and are. They've been disempowered somewhat due to DL, but the ethic still very much is to do whatever is needed to help.

17. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now if they could apply this philosophy to training other call centers AND fixing DL's IT...I'd be happier.

;)

18. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    OP, what do you expect? It's not realistic in the days of rollover and the new DL for these waivers and favors to be granted.

OTOH, the actual value of eliteness, the "medallion quotient" on DL, has declined far and fast from the heyday. So why angst over it?

On DL I just dropped a level from PM to GM. It's the first time in thirteen years that I've dropped an elite tier on any airline (since I switched from KL elite to NW in 1998). Slowly I'm being liberated from the insanity of SM and the frustrations of dealing with DL.

As for Chisholm, if only those guys could be poached by UA to provide their best-in-every-class service for the 1K line :) They have indeed been hampered by the ridiculous and customer-hostile ideology of DL SM (need to push reissues through sometimes multiple desks etc.) but they still try to go the extra mile.

I quote this as part of a PM from one of the NW Elite CSRs not long after the merger:

"You are correct, shame, humiliation and depression that what we once could do, we no longer are able to do."

No need to be concerned about which one. A number of them have stated similar feelings. Anyway, this agent tells the story more eloquently than I can.

I think some of us who were NW elites didn't realize until close to the end how good we had it. I mean, we knew the Elite line provided standout CS. But the difference between that superlative service, and the bottom of the barrel which is what DL offers now, beggars belief.

snc1019 and USAF_Pride like this.