Elite status: The ultimate frequent flier perk

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by sobore, Apr 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.usatoday.com/deals/in...s-The-ultimate-frequent-flier-perk/45850060/1

Pssst ... wanna know a real "road warrior" secret? Here it is: When it comes to frequent flier programs, it's not about the miles; it's about attaining elite status.

Those shiny silver, gold, and platinum-colored cards—and the special rewards and recognition that come with them—are carrots for those in the know, an incentive for would-be elites to increase their loyalty to a single airline, and a compelling reason for existing elites to maintain their past loyalty.

(If you're shaking your head, wondering "What's this elite thing," think of it as VIP status for the most active members of an airline's frequent flier program. Most programs have three elite tiers—often designated as Silver, Gold and Platinum, or the like—requiring progressively higher numbers of miles to qualify, and conferring progressively more and better benefits as the higher levels are achieved.)

Scottrick likes this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ugh, USAToday's writing style makes me feel like I'm in 2nd grade again being corrected on how to hold a pencil.

But yes, good for people to learn about the important distinction between EQM and RDM. My parents keep asking why I never redeem the RDM.

KENNECTED likes this.