Elite Status Buy Back Info Posted

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Dec 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Via JonNYC on Travelingbetter.....

For those who were not lucky enough to be upgraded in AA's mystery status give away recently, here is AA.com's link for the buy back : LINK. Please note the section at the bottom that details how and when the program will be available.

Enjoy another full year of elite status by renewing your AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold membership for a one-time charge, extending your status through February 28, 2013.

Two-Tiered Pricing
    Members who have made more progress toward elite status requalification during 2011 will benefit from lower prices to extend their status. AAdvantage Platinum members who earn at least 40,000 elite qualifying miles or points (or 48 qualifying segments), and AAdvantage Gold members who earn at least 20,000 elite qualifying miles or points (or 24 qualifying segments) during 2011 qualify for lower prices.

[​IMG]

Who's Eligible
    All current AAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Gold members are eligible to participate in this offer provided they have flown at least two elite qualifying segments during 2011.

Why Renew?
    By renewing your AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold membership, you'll continue to receive the many benefits you've come to enjoy as an American Airlines AAdvantage elite status frequent traveler.
    Flight bonuses, a 500-minimum mileage guarantee on most flights, and Priority AAccess(SM) privileges at check-in counters, security screening areas and boarding gates will enhance your travel experience. Upgrade privileges, earned upgrades and complimentary upgrades* help make your travel more comfortable and enjoyable. And waived checked baggage charges^ and waived AAdvantage Award processing charges make your benefits even more valuable.

Through this offer, eligible members can ensure their elite status remains valid through February 28, 2013.

How to Accept the Offer

The opportunity to renew AAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Gold membership will be available from January 26, 2012, through April 30, 2012. Effective January 26, 2012, eligible AAdvantage members will have access to a dedicated website that will provide detailed instructions on how to renew their AAdvantage elite status. During the entire timeframe that membership renewal is ongoing, eligible members will be able to select a "Renew Now" button to go directly to the site and complete their renewal transaction.

We hope you'll consider joining us for another year of AAdvantage membership at an elite status level. We value your business and look forward to welcoming you onboard
    American Airlines!

zpaul, Kalboz, mht_flyer and 2 others like this.
  2. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is cool-- wish UA/CO offered the same thing on their program.

zpaul, Skye1 and dhammer53 like this.
  3. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA/CO did this last year, though it was via direct mail. Hard to say if they'll do it again this year.

zpaul likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did CO OP offer it as well, or just UA MP? (I only recall the latter).

5. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dunno.

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ohh for EXP renewal...

7. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    At United status no longer gets you much more than you'd get for an $80 a year credit card

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A pretty broad statement that's not correct in my experience.

9. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Next year, United Premier Silvers (me) lose their ability to book Economy Plus seats in advance and get 1 free bag instead of 2. They can get Economy Plus seating only 24 hours in advance. So Premiers get priority boarding, a free bag, 500 minimum miles, per flight, maybe Economy Plus in middle seats and 25% more miles and maybe an upgrade to first class on domestic flights. Premier execs (Gold) go from getting double miles per flight to getting 50% more miles per flight.

United now offers a credit card for $95 that offers priority boarding and 1 free bag, with the fee waved the first year--though you may have to charge your ticket to the card. While the card doesn't offer everything that Premier status offers, the weakenings--and the availability of a card alternative--make it pretty dubious that paying anything similar to what American is charging is worth it on United.

zpaul likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oh, there is no way I would AA's prices for elite status (on AA or UA).

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think you're missing a word here that would help to understand what you're saying.... ?

zpaul likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I am confused. What word is missing?

I would not pay the prices shown above, whether they'd give me AA status (as offered) or UA status (as discussed off-topically).

13. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    You forgot the word "pay" in your original post.

zpaul and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    With your explanation, I believe the word "pay" is missing from the post I quoted. :)

Since it was missing it was hard to tell what you meant exactly.

15. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    So i wonder if I could buy into status since i am currently without it on AA:cool:

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You could buy into a status-challenge, but not upgrade. ;)

zpaul likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You know what? I read that sentence of mine three times to make sense of your comment. And I *still* did not see the missing word (or rather, I saw the missing/imaginary word). Time to head to the coffee shop for a good strong mocha and some munchies. ;)

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, per the T&Cs it's only for renewing status, i.e., you need to have status and are about to lose it.

zpaul likes this.
  19. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Their prices seem a bit high to me. Before jumping all over this offer, I would suggest that anyone considering this could list off the benefits of the status that they are buying, the number of times that they would use that benefit, and the dollar value to them of that benefit. Add up the dollar value of those benefits and compare to the cost to buy. That will help you make your decision about whether to buy or not.

zpaul, Skye1 and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  20. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just thinking out loud!! What's best? Rebuy the Platinum Status for almost 800 dollars or loose the status and make a challenge to Platinum for 200?? I don't even know if they will allow that, but if they do, it's best for those with 10k Points on their 3 month schedule!! Right?

21. dogwalker

dogwalker Active Member

Status Points:
    I received an email from AA on Wednesday congratulating me on my Platinum status for 2012. I was surprised since I'm way short to get to Platinum. Thought maybe they kept everyone at 2011 levels as a means of keeping customers worried about the bankruptcy?

zpaul likes this.
  22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not everyone, just a select few so congratulations on that. ;) See here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/bump-to-platinum.24791/.

zpaul and dogwalker like this.
  23. deros68

deros68 Member

Status Points:
    I have flown 1.6 million miles on AA since 1993. Last year I was sick and had to cancel 3 trips. I emailed AA with the hope of keeping Platinum for 2012 and flying enough in 2012 to earn it. The AA reply was boilerplate produced from a computer - they wanted me to BUY the status. Why - since I am LIFETIME GOLD ( the 1.6 million miles reward ?? well sort of a reward for 19 years of flying only AA ) So much for 37,800 EQM I flew last year - even after missing 3 flights. Since I never drop lower than GOLD - I have NO incentive to stay with AA or even fly 25,000 miles.

UA has already offered to bring me on as PREMIER ( roughly equivalent to Platinum ) if I fly the required 50,000. AA is losing money - the incremental cost to them of keeping me Platinum and geting another 50,00 from me duirng 2012 versus letting me go over to UA in 2012 is not even close! If this is an example of the way AA now does business - wow - they deserve to go bankrupt. I hope that other people realize that UA is still letting people switch in this manner - all UA asked was a printout of my AA staus and they want me to fly 25,000 in the first 6 months. No problem - I will have to say BYE BYE to AA - including the OLD TWA MD-80s... AA never fixed them up either

24. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand you being upset. We wish you well with UA. Happy and safe flying.

zpaul likes this.
  25. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent logic.

If I understand the e-mail correctly, an AA Plat with 10K or less to go could just buy Plat for next year for $619 US? I wonder if the offer came out in time for someone to just fly the needed miles? A TATL ticket in the winter "could" cost equal or less than $619. Possibly difficult around the Christmas holidays, 'tho.