Elite Rewards Milestone choices

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MSYgirl, Nov 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't decide on which one to choose, and I was curious what others are choosing. I figure the cost value of each could be weighed, such as $90 for 3 stickers or $100 for 2 club passes, but I'm also trying to weigh which reward I think I will really get some use out of in the future. I have plenty of stickers sitting there, so I'm leaning toward the club passes.

How do you choose, and which reward did you pick?

zpaul, zphelj and marcwint55 like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on your timeframe relative to "the future" ..... stickers never expire .. club passes do.
    If monetized you can by a 90 day club membership for $99 which allows two guests or family and unlimited use.

zpaul, zphelj and MSYgirl like this.
  3. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Miles. I think you can get more value out of 10k miles than the $90 three upgrades would cost.

zpaul, icurhere2, zphelj and 2 others like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hands down it should be the miles. They are worth an average of $200.00. You can always find someone to get you into the club or even get an Amex platinum card for free admission to the clubs.

zpaul, MSYgirl and zphelj like this.
  5. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think we'd all have some different reasons on this. In my case I'd rather spend $100 on my annual Amex Platinum card which gets me access to a whole lot of clubs, many a lot nicer than your average AC. A 10% discount could be very valuable depending on the terms so I'm leaning toward that or the 10,000 miles. At say a 2 cents per mile valuation that's $200 in miles.

Edit to add: What got me thinking about the 10% is that I was on ICN-DFW in J yesterday and there was a family of 6. Even assuming they all upgraded on SWU's (possible, flight was C7 for a long time) they'd have paid at least $1,000 each (ignoring other possibilities of course) a 10% discount on that booking would be a no-brainer.. Beyond the 40k level I'd go miles or discount depending on what's offered.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    zpaul, MSYgirl and marcwint55 like this.
  6. bhamsan01

bhamsan01 Active Member

Status Points:
    I tend to shy away from trying to place a monetary value on these sorts of things. I would go for whatever you think fits your travel needs/desires. While I would personally take the stickers, I think the miles would be a better option since you have so many stickers already.

zpaul, MSYgirl and marcwint55 like this.
  7. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    After considering my needs and the usefulness I might get out of each reward, I opted to go with the miles. I have enough stickers and cannot guarantee I would visit enough airports with clubs to use the club passes. I appreciate the replies.

bhamsan01 likes this.
  8. bhamsan01

bhamsan01 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hope those miles help take you on an amazing trip!

zphelj and Garp74 like this.