Elite Reservation Guarantee for Accessible Room Types

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by WheelchairTravel, May 27, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. WheelchairTravel

WheelchairTravel Active Member

Status Points:
    I recently attempted to check-in to the Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel. I am a MR Platinum member and had a confirmed reservation for a room with a roll-in shower.

When I checked in, the FD agent told me that the roll-in shower rooms were all occupied. In fact, all accessible rooms were already in use. I agreed to take a standard room for the first night and move once one became available.

Upon entering the room, though, it was of an older design I had never experienced before, and my wheelchair could not pass through the extremely narrow bathroom doorway. I returned to the FD and they began almost a 2-hour process of moving me to another hotel. I was eventually sent to the Residence Inn Downtown, which was a disappointment because I had intentionally booked a FS hotel.

I had to then have a conversation about the reservation guarantee. I had always wondered if I would be eligible for the 90,000 points, $200 cash and first night paid at the new hotel, if the hotel I booked had offered an inaccessible room? The manager called Marriott and received notice that the Elite Reservation Guarantee was indeed owed to me.

The hotel was very friendly throughout the ordeal, and the points/cash did make up for the inconvenience. The Residence Inn was also kind enough to match the rate I had reserved at the Airport Renaissance, which I understand they did not have to do.

Just thought I'd share the fact that accessible rooms do qualify for the elite guarantees.

2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although I hope to never have to worry about being in an accessible room, your experience is helpful. As I said a couple of weeks back, I look forward to reading about your experiences since they are completely different from anything I can imagine.

WheelchairTravel likes this.