Elite Qualifying miles and sements on BA and Jet Airways

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by unclesam, Sep 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. unclesam

unclesam Active Member

Status Points:
    I have some travel coming up to India whereby I will be flying BA from DFW to DEL and Jet airways between DEL and BOM and DEL and IXC. I would like to book it in such a way that I get elite qualifying segments for all the flights I take. The rules are not very clear when reading the AA website and I have read about situations where no miles or segments were cresited.

Any guidelines you can provide would be very much appreciated.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Your BA flights will be fine. Your 9W flights need to be an AA codeshare.

On a sidenote, I don't see many people looking for segments. Interesting!

3. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

manfromkrypton Silver Member

Status Points:
    As long as you book the jet airways flightnon the aa.com website, and it's not listed as jetkonnect then you are good to go. I would also call reservations to confirm.

4. unclesam

unclesam Active Member

Status Points:
    I understand but this year I have no chance of qualifying for EXP based on miles or points. Only hope I have is based on segments so I don't want to lose an opportunity if it presents itself.

Looks like booking as an AA flight number is the ONLY way to get a elite qualifying segment on jet airways. Not good, because I am unable to pull up a AA flight number for the flights I want to take.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are you saying there is a difference between JetKonnect and Jet Airways flights in terms of earning? If so that's not correct. To earn elite miles etc it has to be an AA coded flight.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried calling AA and requesting they create the routing for you? I know AA codeshares into BOM but I don't think they do from IXC, so you may be out of luck on that leg.

7. unclesam

unclesam Active Member

Status Points:
    I don't understand why the airlines make things so complicated. I called the EXP desk and even though the BOM-DEL flight had a AA codeshare flight number they could not price it and were clueless to why they can't price it. I then called a travel agent help desk and they explained that the BOM-DEL sector cannot be sold by itself as a AA codeshare it must be sold in conjunction with a international flight segment. Since, I had a DFW-BOM segment on hold I asked them to add the AA code share to the existing itinerary. This worked but the airfare shot up by $2700 as a result of adding a domestic sector. Go figure!!!

Now 1 more dilemma has surfaced. After trying many combinations I had settled on buying 2 1 way tickets DFW-BOM and DEL-ORD since it seemed the most cost efficient for my needs and now with this new promotion I won't even qualify for the 25K bonus. Is there any way around it?

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is very common. AA code shares typically need to be bought in conjunction with an AA flight as you indicated. You'll also typically pay a premium for booking the AA codeshare and collecting the miles/EQM/EQS/etc. I recently was looking at a flight into BKK and I had the choice of paying $800 using CX without AA codeshares and losing miles, or paying $1400 for code shares and earning miles. It's the name of the game.

As for the promotion, I'd say the only way to qualify would be too book tickets through Europe. That'll open a whole new can of worms though.

Take AA/BA/IB into Europe and then buy separate tickets from EU-BOM/DEL-EU. However, since cost is a factor for you, wouldn't taking part in the promo increase your costs?

9. unclesam

unclesam Active Member

Status Points:
    Cost is not a huge factor since it is paid business trip. However it needs to be within reason. If the incremental premium is $500 to add a domestic 2 hour flight, it might be acceptable (tickets bought in local currency cost < $200) but a premium of $2700 to add the RT domestic segment is simply outrageous.

Anyway, I have been able to figure out an itinerary that seems to satisfy my criteria:

DFW - ORD round trip
    Nested inside is ORD-LHR-BOM round trip
    Further Nested inside BOM - DEL round trip

Resulting in DFW-ORD-LHR-BOM-DEL-BOM-LHR-ORD-DFW. This gives me 6 elite segments (none for BOM-DEL sector). Stopovers in BOM both going and coming which I defintely need and a stopover in ORD which is a must as well.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like it all worked out, but to be clear, this doesn't qualify for the bonus promotion you wanted to include. That's okay, correct?

11. unclesam

unclesam Active Member

Status Points:
    So even though I have a ORD LHR and also an LHR-ORD segement it does not qualify. The T&C says : A round trip is defined as travel in the same purchased booking class for both the departure and the return transatlantic flight segments"

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I suppose you could argue that point, but the promo seems specifically tailored for RT travel between the US and Europe. The T&C also notes in another area that the RT travel is for flights between the US and Europe.

AAdvantage bonus mile offer is valid on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia operated and/or marketed nonstop flights for round-trip travel between the U.S. and Europe, September 19, 2011, through December 31, 2011.

I'd call and confirm if I were you. There is some wiggle room but the promo is clearly for US-UK/Euro travel and while you're flying TATL your RT is really between the US and India.