Elite Maximizer in New Year Still Expensive

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by mauld, Jan 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mauld

mauld Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was hoping to beef up my EQM's towards 2013 Platinum status early by utilizing the Elite Maximizer option for an upcoming trip to FLL. I know how expensive it gets at the end of the year, and figured a new year, new bargains. Well checking my flights today I was offered the chance to pay $988 for 4,292 miles-- almost 23 cents a mile:eek:. I sure hope this comes down, or that this is not the 'new' rules for the maximizer!

TAHKUCT and canucklehead like this.
  2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that for the RDM (usually 3cpm) and then EQM or just EQM? That's a horrible price to pay either way!

3. mauld

mauld Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was just for the EQM, earlier this year I was able to buy them for around 6-7 cents per mile!

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    may just be a system hangover from last year. I've noticed a lot of things not working as well as they did a week ago on the site.

Travelsavant and TAHKUCT like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It took a few days for the price to come back down last year, too. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  6. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have noticed the same and was going to start a thread, but you did it first ;)

Getting about $0.22 per mile.

Lufthansa Flyer and Travelsavant like this.
  7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully they will not discontinue this.

8. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless I'm missing something, this is genius marketing that should be continued infinitely. They get paid to fly you nowhere. All you get is the possibility of some future perks.

In the cases of CPUs, that doesn't cost them anything. In most cases, it's either you or someone else who will get the free bump. For RPUs, GPUs and MUAs, you're just getting what you paid for as would any other flying passenger. Same with MM LT benefits.

I bought some early last year, as I was tired of being Silver. Although I was flying more, I couldn't see that I would make Gold. At the time, I wanted the one extra bag and 20 extra pounds per. I had no idea that the difference would be even greater in 2012.

My flying schedule increased significantly after those Maximizer purchases, and I ended up making one late-year MR to hit Platinum. Got a feeling it is going to spoil me, and I may very well pay for more extra miles, if necessary, to make sure I stay at this level. That said, the $0.22+ is out of the question. There is almost always a MR or two that cost less and allow us to see someplace new.

9. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    On 31 Dec I purchased a few EQMs after a reservation, and this got me to over 100,000 when I combine the MP plus OP EQMs for the year. Unfortunately they posted for 1 Jan 2012. I rang OP & asked for them to be recognized as 2011 earn. My receipt shows 2011, and my intention was 2011. After 58 minutes on the phone from Australia, I was assured it would be fixed. Initially after checking with supervisor, they tried to convince me that it would be better to post to 2012 earn, but I asked them to check my MP as well. Ok, what should I expect to see in both OP and MP? I'm thinking no change in OP because I am already Platinum, and hopefully will see 1K in MP. When would I see this? When shouldI start worrying?

TAHKUCT likes this.
  10. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just checked. Getting 12.5 cents per EQM. Not a very good deal. I bought cheaper EQMs few month ago :confused:

11. mauld

mauld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it does appear to have come down a bit (not alot mind you-- but somewhat), I'm not going to bite until it gets down toward the 6-7 cents per mile area, so hopefully the price will continue to decline prior to my end of month flight.

12. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still seeing $0.125 per EQM, which is pricey. I hope they will come down toward your mentioned price, but time will tell. Otherwise, will have to look for some mileage runs :)

mht_flyer likes this.
  13. RJR@LAX

RJR@LAX Active Member

Status Points:
    :confused: Where are you looking for the price for EQMs? I have never checked this out?

14. davidbbrenner

davidbbrenner Silver Member

Status Points:
    When they are buying their tickets, the option for purchasing RDMs and then EQMs come up, so they can get the going rate. One can also book, and then cancel, a fully refundable flight to see what the rates are.

15. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an upcoming reservation and there is an option to buy RDM once you select it, it will give you an option to buy EQM for that trip. Then just do the math ;)

16. RJR@LAX

RJR@LAX Active Member

Status Points:
    :confused:So you don't see it unless you elect to buy the RDMs? The only time I see the offer to purchase RDMs is when I check in for a flight.....

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless things have changed in the last couple days the option only exists on confirmed reservations. You cannot do it during the booking process.
    Correct that you must buy the RDMs first. And the option to buy the RDMs or the EQMs shows on the co.com site on every reservation all the time, not only at check-in.

But it is only on co.com, not on ua.com.

RJR@LAX likes this.
  18. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. I have a confirmed reservation on co.com and able to buy RDM, once selected, an option to buy EQM appear.

RJR@LAX likes this.
  19. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is almost February and the prie to buy EQM is still pretty high, 12.5 cents per EQM :(

I guess I have to start planning a mileage run:eek:

20. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree it's cost prohibitive. Seems to me that UA/CO is missing out on easy revenue for them by not going back to the original pricing. Oh well....

TAHKUCT likes this.
  21. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just saw a post on FT, yes FT made by UAInsider that Elite Maximizer will soon become Premier Maximizer. So the program will live. However, the current price is still very high. Maybe after March 3rd it will come down :confused:

YULtide likes this.
  22. RJR@LAX

RJR@LAX Active Member

Status Points:
    by UAInsider that Elite Maximizer will soon become Premier Maximizer. So the program will live. However, the current price is still very high. Maybe after March 3rd it will come down

I still do not understand how you get access to the maximizer program. Can you tell me how much it is and where to find it....
    This is for EQMs right?

23. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have to have an active reservation on co.com Click on your reservation and you will see under your itinerary an option to get extra miles. Click get extra miles. Once there you will see the price for RDM. Choose an option that fits your needs. Once chosen, you will get another option to buy the same amount of EQM orPQM in a future.

YULtide likes this.
  24. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what I have read here, I think that there may be different prices for different passengers. I, for example, have 8 itins booked into June this year, and they have all been offering RQMs @ $0.025/mile and EQMs @ $0.10/mile, for a total of $0.125/mile. Others have claimed that their EQMs alone were priced at $0.125/mile.

While I don't always agree with each of my fellow MPers, I do recognize that the average IQ here is higher than that of the construction crew across the street who wake me up every morning. In other words, I believe them when their calculations result in a different number.

I have been hoping for some reduction in the pricing, but today EQMs went up to $0.125/mile for me, with the required RQMs @ $0.0.27/mile. Note to United: TOO HIGH! Selling miles is money for NOTH-THING. It's marketing genius. Lower prices will encourage more of us dummies to buy them. Raising them just encourages us to actually occupy a seat (selectively, I concede) for $0.05/mile and see some new places. Think about it, would ya'?

Is anyone else seeing prices today that confirm my suspicion that all passengers are not viewed as equals with regard to accelerated EQMs? It certainly wouldn't be the first time that different offers went to different FFs.

Scottrick and mht_flyer like this.
  25. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My pricing is $0.10 for the EQMs, $0.03 for the RDMs, for a total of $0.13 for both. Hasn't changed since January -- I suspect this might be on the backburner until after March 3.

I never buy them, however, no matter how low the price -- I'd rather spend the $ and go somewhere for a weekend.

TAHKUCT likes this.