Elite Benefits On AS. Best Way To Book?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Pizzaman, Jun 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Curious if anyone has experience with recognition of AA elite benefits on AS. Am I better off ticketing through AA and selecting seat on AS later, or booking the trip on AS?

If I'm booking the trip on AS, does keying in my AA # for mileage credit also denote my elite benefits?

marcwint55 and tondoleo like this.
  2. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can book your ticket either way and you will get your elite benefits. Simply enter your frequent flyer number with your reservation. If you first flight is operated by AA, it might make more sense to book using the AA website. If you have a problem entering your frequent flyer number when setting up your reservation, don't worry. You can add your frequent flyer number to your reservation at a later time by calling the airline. If you have flight segments on both American Airlines and Alaska Airlines, as your flight are operated by two different airlines, you will have a unique record locator with Alaska Airlines for your Alaska Airlines flight segments. If this situation applies to you, be sure to find out what the Alaska record locator is from American Airlines, then call Alaska Airlines or logon to the Alaska Airlines website to confirm. With your Alaska record locator, you can go to the Alaska Airlines website to reserve seats, as seat reservations for your Alaska Airlines flight segments may not always be available or visible on the American Airlines web site.

You might consider requesting an elite status match to Alaska Airlines and start accumulating miles there. The Alaska Airlines partner list may work better for you and get you to different destinations. I like the service I get when flying on Alaska Airlines.

Currently, I commute from Michigan (DTW) to Barrow, Alaska (BRW) using my AAdvantage miles. I am a firefighter and paramedic, but I am also learning about the unique challenges of arctic rural health care, hazardous materials and telecommunications issues while attending classes at Ilisagvik College in Barrow, Alaska. As Alaska Airlines goes to Hawaii, KOA or the other Hawaiian islands are a great place to stopover on a return trip to thaw out. Then you can take AA back to DTW or other mainland destinations.

One of the Iñupiaq Values in the arctic is sharing. I love to share my travel knowledge of what I learned on Milepoint with the local community so everyone can enjoy global travel at a reasonable cost. English is the primary language in used Alaska but the video below will let you hear the local Iñupiaq language spoken on the North Slope.

tondoleo and Mike Reed like this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    ceieoc, thanks for the info. It's a one segment flight only on AS, so I might consider booking it on the Alaska site. I have heard plenty of good things about Alaska, but I've been a very happy EXP for a number of years. While I fully expect Doug to make me a bit less happy, you'll have to pry EXP out of my cold, dead hands until they wreck it.

tondoleo likes this.
  4. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Ed.

I book on the AS site and use my AA FFN. I do have an AS account but no status with them. I used the account to accumulate AS miles via BOA cc's.

I had to manually add my GOES once in my profile and it always appears when I check out. AS recognizes my AA elite status allows me to select a better seat. I was even offered a $ 50.00 upgrade one time from SEA-OAK.:)

I have also discovered that there is a price difference at times between the AA codeshare and AS flight. AS has always been cheaper.

Good luck. Enjoy the AS BoardRoom if you are in SEA.

5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Sometimes it takes a few minutes to recognize the elite status allowing for better seating. If you don't get the benefit immediately, log out after the reservation has been made and then log back in for seat selection. If you have Delta elite status you can be upgraded, with AA you can't.

6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    That's exactly what happened, Marc. It recognized that I was EXP when I was making the reservation but wouldn't let me choose an elite seat. Logged back in with my confirmation number and it let me pick any seat I wanted.

marcwint55 and Mike Reed like this.