Elite benefit extension

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by canucklehead, Dec 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    2011 elite status and benefits will be extended.
    [​IMG]

Part of the merger between United and Continental involves converting to a new technology system, late in the first quarter of 2012. At that point, we'll begin delivering the benefits of the 2012 MileagePlus® program. Until then, elite members' 2011 status and benefits will be extended. We will extend the validity of elite credentials as well, so elite members will continue to enjoy their benefits when flying on United and Star Alliance™ member airlines.
    In late January, we'll provide more details about this extension period, including the specific expiration date for your 2011 card and status. We'll also have more details to share about when we will send 2012 credentials to qualifying members.

New status qualification year begins January 1.

On January 1, 2012, the new status qualification year begins, and you will start earning toward the MileagePlus Premier® status levels for the following year. You'll be earning under the policies of 2012 MileagePlus program. Please note that for the first few months of 2012 your account will show that you are earning elite status miles (EQM) and elite status segments (EQS). On our system conversion date, we will convert those balances to Premier qualifying miles (PQM) and Premier qualifying segments (PQS).

2. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hate to be Debby downer here, but sounds like if you are a frequent user of *A partner lounges using your *G credentials then good luck to you during this "transition period" when your only card will be expired.

Sounds like someone didn't get their system integration done as quickly as they hoped.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  3. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm also a little irritated about this as I would like to get Mrs. Flyer my 1K status.

Titans26 likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You think the rumored stickers won't work? ;)

I currently have no international travel plans until late into Q1, so I might not have to arm-wrestle any lounge guards, but on the plus side my wife might keep her 100% 1P bonus for a bit longer than expected due to the delay.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm quite concerned at the "earning at the 2012 policies" bit when those rules - especially for partners - seem to have not yet been announced. If the rules are supposed to take effect in 3 days and we do not yet know them that's not cool at all.

6. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! I purchased 6 tickets in November on LH only to find they were not eligible for MileagePlus mileage accrual starting in 2012. I received a refund of the purchase price.

7. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    One could argue that the benefits of the 2011 programme include mileage earnings and bonuses (like the 100% for 2011 50k flyers)...

But yes, the blackout in meaningful information is very unlike what we've grown accustomed. Plus UA/CO should be lenient in how they handle this, they've lost the right for leniency from us flyers by announcing things later and later, whilst imposing deadlines earlier and earlier... :(

HaveMilesWillTravel and TAHKUCT like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's what I based my post above on, but UA may well be interpreting it differently.

AZjohn likes this.
  9. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess we will hear in a few days now. What would be a real concern for 1P's is getting their 100% RDM's in Q1 and then have the newUA pull them back:eek: I wouldn't want to be anywhere in that mess.

canucklehead likes this.
  10. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    What would be a bigger concern is 1P's and Golds being told that they are only earning 50% bonus miles as of 1/1 and not as of the transition date in March. Ditto for Plats earning only 75% starting 1/1. If this is what they are saying, so not cool to drop on us just a few days before the new year. I hope I'm misinterpreting this statement:

But I don't think I am...

AZjohn likes this.
  11. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you're right. UA puts a little carrot out there for status extension, but then sneaks that it in. If MP 2011 is being extended then they should be extending the entire program, not just trivial bits that will actually cause a bunch of confusion across the alliance. Who is the UA rep thats on MP Is it "UAinsider"?? perhaps we can all send him our request to try to get the entire MP program extended....

AZjohn likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    UA Insider

That said, I think instead of sending a ton of PMs, it would be more effective (and polite) to start a thread with an appropriate title, e.g.

"Attention UA Insider: Please clarify elite benefit extensions and 2012 earnings rates"

Or just send UA Insider one PM that points to this thread.

AZjohn and mowogo like this.
  13. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea vs. an uncontrollable swarm of PM's.

canucklehead, AZjohn and mowogo like this.
  14. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    United Airlines extension of benefits through the end of the first quarter to all elites is the perfect example of what is wrong .
    The lowest common denominator serves as the point of reference.
    Why should anybody who did not qualify for a status in 2012 be able to have status for an extra 3 months?
    What do I get having once again earned the status playing by the rules in 2011?
    This is pathetic.

avflyer likes this.
  15. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just as a side note, UAinsider posted on another site this week s/he will be on vacation until sometime next week. I still think we shall get reports before they show up for work.
    John

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, until not too long ago, the status "year" ended at the end of February. So really, what's another month among friends?

UA Insider (Shannon) also posted on another site that the expected increase of UA million miler balances is not going to happen on 12/31 (as some speculated), but rather some time before the final merger of the two programs.

17. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    What annoys me about this is that if it wasn't for OP post or if I hadn't happen to see the tiny one liner on United.com there was no communication from UACO.

I've received plenty of the useless MP email SPAM with their content free announcements. But nada on this topic. :mad:

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  18. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not quite. My 1K Million Mile Flyer 2011 United Mileage Plus Card was valid through January 2012, not the end of March.
    This frequent flyer program is starting to look like a free for all and as you say in America, fool me once shame on me ; fool me twice shame on you.
    Just looking at the airplane boarding process over the last few months and clearly it makes no sense.

19. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rumor has it you'll be getting a snazzy sticker to use until the new cards are mailed out. :rolleyes:

Lufthansa Flyer and AZjohn like this.
  20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right. But as I said, a few years ago the status expiration for Mileage Plus elite members was end of February. Then they changed it to end of January.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...w-expires-jan-instead-feb-merged-threads.html

No, we nowadays say “Fool me once shame on.. shame on you… eh.. um.. a fooled man can’t get fooled again.” ;)

I really don't see this extension as a big problem. So I am going to compete with a few extra "zombie 1Ks" for space in F or in line at elite security. Not that big of a deal for me personally. Having gone through multiple mergers that (in value) dwarfed the UA/CO merger, I have a bit of an understanding of the complexities involved in these combinations.

AZjohn likes this.
  21. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess this is "welcome" to the third world of travel!!

22. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Respectfully, I really do not care about "flyertalk" even though I am aware of the shared history with "milepoint".
    My understanding of "milepoint" versus "flyertalk" is one's ability to express and share opinions without being dismissed, insulted, confronted without reason or regulated by short minded intellectually challenged egotistic moderators.
    You have not done any of the above but your experience alone is not enough of a justification to question how one feels about the "joke" the "United Airlines Mileage Plus" is turning into.
    Now since you mentioned your flying history, I, starting back in 1985 also had status with PSA, AIRCAL, WESTERN and others and experienced many changes ( I spare you the Eastern, TWA, Pan Am and Aloha episodes). Does it really matter and can we agree or disagree that something is astray without trying to be right?

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's fine, but the whole point of that link was to provide a reference (proof, if you want) for my statement about the expiration of elite status in years past. I certainly don't have the desire to turn this into a MP vs. FT thread. It just happened to be the easiest "evidence" Google came up with when I searched...

My flying history? Another misunderstanding, I believe. I was talking about my experience with large company mergers. I don't work in the airline industry and those companies weren't part of it either, but I believe I have somewhat of an inside view of the complexities of a merger. I actually think an airline merger is probably more complex than those in my industry (high tech).

But we can certainly agree to disagree.

24. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Courcoison,
    I don't think anyone is either dismissing or arguing M+ is a mess right now and possibly heading down a dangerious path (at least I'm not disagreeing). I hear you that you feel strongly that 2011 elite members should not get a "free ride" for a few months. I personally have a neutral opionion about this (guess been staying too long in Switzerland), but bottom line is this is the newUA's fault, not anyone here.

I think we all knew that this merger was going to be painful and going to run into some issues. Some of these issues I feel more strongly about then other MP members feel, and visa-versa. That is why I sometimes need to read a silly joke or sarcastic comment on this site to help me laugh instead of cry over some of these issues.

John

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  25. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    So we have established that United will carry "dead weight" for two months in 2012.
    I understand and respect the fact you do not care but for myself I do not like it and feel this is a mistake.
    Now I certainly did not understand you were sharing your experience with a large company.
    I can only say that unless a corporation/company is ready to transition it should not do it unless of course they are ready or do not care about the customer; I believe this thread and others have already established that United does not care.