Eletrical Adapter for UK and France (Western Europe)

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by mdtravel, Mar 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking for a couple electrical adapters (not converters) for both the UK and France. I'd bought some universal adapters a few years back for like $5.00 and threw them away as soon as I opened them.

I think I'd like some with the three prong and the dual prong.

So I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but don't want cheap either. I don't need anything other than the UK and Western Europe so a huge set of adapters isn't necessary either.

Anyone have some that they like and would recommend?

Newscience and jbcarioca like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get my adapters on eBay directly from China for about $1 each (postpaid). They are identical to those found in travel stores for $10-20, but may take a couple of weeks to reach you.

3. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many of the larger hotels in the UK (can't speak for France, never having been there) have sockets that will take NA plugs and may already have the right current settings for NA cellphones, tablets, etc. Since the OP mentioned that they won't need a converter, just an adapter, I'd suggest emailing the hotels you're looking at to inquire if they have the appropriate sockets. Worked for us for a trip we had planned last year to the UK and NI, and in all cases the answers were in the affirmative, that they had the sockets we needed to recharge our cellphones without an adapter.

Newscience likes this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can always head to the nearest AAA office, look at their small store with travel-related items, including overseas electrical adaptors. And, if you belong to AAA, you'll get a member's discount on all purchase at the AAA store.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or your local map or travel or luggage store run by a Mom and Pop. :D

HaveMilesWillTravel and MX like this.
  7. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually get mine at Radio Shack. I'm always, however, confused which devices need just an adapter as opposed to a voltage regulator, or whatever the electrical term is!

8. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    People still go to Radio Shack?

anileze and gregm like this.
  9. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whatever you do, make sure you get the adapters on this side of the ocean, much more affordable.

Went to China a few months ago, and it turned out they had American-style plugs in the room. Wasted $7 at Fry's for the adapter.

Be aware that UK and France have different plugs. Have been to several Paris hotels, none of them had American-style plugs (adapter required).

Contacting hotels in advance is great advice.

10. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a one piece SWISS adapter that has four plug types in it - can buy on amazon

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have, over the years, bought a ton of stuff at my locally owned travel store (Edwards Luggage in the Bay Area). However, I would not drive to the mall just to buy an adapter from them.

Most devices nowadays can operate with 110V (US) and 220-240V (many other countries). E.g., your favorite i-device or Android chargers or your laptop chargers. I have not used a voltage converter in many, many years. The chargers or other devices should have a label telling you what voltages they support.

If I need a small and relatively inexpensive item RIGHT NOW, I have been known to visit Radio Shack. E.g., a couple of weeks ago for an 8GB thumbdrive. I could have saved $2 buy going to Best Buy or maybe $3 or $4 by ordering online, but I needed it now, and I would have spent more than $2 in time and gas by driving to Best Buy (plus, I hate them).

Many (larger) hotels also have adapters available for guests at the front desk if their rooms don't have multi-region sockets.

gregm and Mapsmith like this.
  12. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call Edwards and have them send one to you. Small businesses are still hurting and you may be surprised at how little it would cost for them to ship it to you.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Mapsmith likes this.
  14. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    HaveMilesWillTravel and gregm like this.
  15. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do for certain things. Mostly when they send me a $10 coupon!!

Mapsmith likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was just quoting the price their web store gave me. UPS Ground was the cheapest option they offered.

I wish they had a store in downtown <my home town> so I could just walk there. I do like locally owned stores.

Mapsmith likes this.
  17. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wish I had my Travel Goods Order in. I do carry stuff, and UPS has gotten ridiculous with the Residential Delivery Surcharge. You might also check with a full service hotel in your town and see if anyone has left one. Particularly if they get foreign tourists?

18. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    This needs not be so complicated folks: :)
    1) All major airports have travel accessory shops where you can by the adaptors. Actually you only need two types, one for the UK and the other type will cover just about
    all of the rest of Europe.
    2) Most European hotels have a stack of the these which they will sell or loan you during
    the stay.
    Most International (SPG) W's and other upscale properties will have them in among
    the items for sale on top of your in room bar.
    Last time I needed one at the W Hong Kong the front desk actually suggested I just
    borrow it from among those items and put it back before I leave.:)

A few places might have you leave a small deposit just in case you abscond with it.
    3) Its very easy to find the US/local adapters in most electronic/camera shops/department stores/convenience stores in most major cities overseas its actually easier to get one there than here in the US.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Complicated? Your post seems to be the most verbose in the entire thread, while mine (http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...and-france-western-europe.84256/#post-2324423) was the shortest and simplest. Yes, one word is enough.

Captain Oveur likes this.
  20. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    UH sorry I hadn't realized this board was a précis competition.. ok you win.. happy?:rolleyes:

21. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh yea ! If you need small doodads, connectors, and stuff - the local Radio Shack is the place to go. Thanks to a $4 part I could convert an old ibook into media center for my Samsung TV ;):p

22. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually I have found, to my unpleasant surprise, and sometimes delightful shock; that many converted castle-as-expensive-B&Bs, and even some modern hotels managed by your top 4 chains, to be very poor judge of necessities. While those places you least expect, have creatively address it.

I want my plugs close to the bed, so that I can charge my phone-cum-alarm-clock, or ipad; not across the room in the corner <a throwback from when architects consulted and addressed the needs of housekeeping>; And, on the other hand, small boutique hotels have rooms with universal outlets and plenty of them near the bed(s) Couch. And, one even had a power-strip with safety-fuse !

blackjack-21 likes this.