El Paso has moved further away from Dallas

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by collins, Apr 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. collins

collins Active Member

Status Points:
    For the last 15 years I have been flying to and from El Paso through Dallas. It has always taken 1 upgrade to get into 1st class. I noticed while reviewing my travel plans for May it now takes 2 upgrades. Pretty slick move by AA to have remeasured the distance and doubled the cost of an upgrade. Any other AA frequent flyers to other cities notice a similar trick?

Collins

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi Collins, welcome to MilePoint and the AA Forum! :)

Sorry to hear your sticker requirement went up. Here's what I can tell you....

AA's stickers are good for 500 miles worth of travel. As a rule, there is a 50/51 (it's debated which is correct) mile leeway given. Your example seems to indicate that the 50 mile leeway is what AA is using currently, as you'll see below.

AA has published distances in a timetable which is provided as a PDF file on their website, and this document is updated from time to time.

With all that in mind, AA's system must now recognize that El Paso (ELP) is now too far from Dallas (DFW) to qualify for the leeway. Even GCMap.com, which measures flight distances and is not associated with AA at all, shows the distance as 551 miles. :(

As you can see in these two links, you're not the first person to run into issues/questions about the leeway:

Link #1
    Link #2

As for why it was changed, I can only speculate. Hopefully this gives you some insight, though I'm sure it doesn't change your level of frustration at all!

Again, welcome to MilePoint. :)

3. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    The PDF timetable has never been 100% accurate for mileage accrual. For example, DFW-LAS is listed as 1056 miles, but actual mileage accrual is 1055 miles. DFW-CDG is listed as 4947, but posts as 4948.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Never said it was accurate, it's just one of a few tools you can use to help determine how AA is charging stickers. Personally I always use GCMap for my mileage calculations and haven't had any errors yet.

5. collins

collins Active Member

Status Points:
    AA: Sorry I find your explanation lacking in honesty. I am one of your best customers and have been for years. I find this change just another way to penny pinch. Nick em here nick em there..... Deliver a better product and you won't need to do this kind of stuff. You have had the best service in the cabin and at the check in area forever. Not even thiese good people can overcome some back office hack who never deals with a customer but who realishes in finding a way to get $30 more out of a very good customer. Shame on you AA.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Collins, I think you are confused. No one here works for AA. We're all customers like you are.

If you came to this forum to post a question based on the email American Airlines sent to you, then you have made a mistake. This is not the area where you can post questions for AA. This is an forum where customers of American can talk about their service and frequent flier program.

If you want to complain about the changes AA has made, I would suggest you contact them directly on AA.com, or leave your question in this thread which is the area mentioned in AA's email. Questions will be collected for Maya Leibman and hopefully answered when she does a live chat on this website on May 4.

Hopefully that's more clear.

7. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
  8. collins

collins Active Member

Status Points:
    These last two explanations make the most sense of all. We who live close by El Paso in NM have often wondered why El Paso thinks they are Texans. However, given the serious border issues with Juarez maybe they should stay with the great lone star state.