EK to begin operating A380 DXB-GRU no date set

Discussion in 'Emirates | Skywards' started by jbcarioca, Sep 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wonder where these numbers are from certainly not my visual impression

OY-JFS and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    They do not physically fill the A/C, I am told, because they cannot fly the route nonstop at 100% capacity. I personally do not know if that is true. The nominal range of the 777-200LR is 9380NM while the distance DXB-GIG is 7590NM. However the aircraft is subject to ETOPS limitations so the route is probably longer than it would otherwise be and both wind impact and alternate plus holds requires substantial extra fuel. Thus I find the idea credible taht they do not fly at 100% capacity. Further, they do carry a healthy amount of freight which may be partly at the expense of more passengers.

Adding both the new DXB-GIG-EZE flight and an A380 to GRU suggests they are doing well financially on Brazil. They certainly are doing poorly on ontime performance though.

Gaucho and OY-JFS like this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    wow.... 380 service to GRU.... dont they need the new terminal to serve this beast...?

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    They do need major upgrades including taxiways and gates. An acquaintance with good connections told me they expected to manage A380 in existing terminal. That seems unlikely but fits our famed "muddling through" habits.

Gaucho and OY-JFS like this.
  6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess it depends if EK accepts working in the old terminals..... can the normal jetways serve the A380 or do they require special ramps...?

7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There must be gate modifications, and usually A380's load on two levels, often with four jetways, so it will not be simple to adapt an old gate.

8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    They fly the A380 to MXP and load from one level so it is not impossible.

Also at BKK do they load from two levels? I seem to remember not yet....

9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC they discussed taxiway, runway turnoff/turnon clearances and physical gate clearance. I assumed they'd put in the additional jetway capacity when they made the other improvements but I have no idea if that is an operational requirement. I have personally never boarded a A380 without four jetways in use. I have never been to BKK in a A380.

OY-JFS likes this.
  10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I boarded an A380 at CAN with only two jetways in use when CZ was initially testing the plane on the CAN-PEK route. It was fine- boarding and deplaning were not nearly as slow as I would have guessed. Shortly thereafter they opened boarding from three jetways at CAN- I don't know what they did at PEK as I have not departed on the A380 at PEK since this change.

Back to the GRU discussion- any dates yet? Depending on flight timings out of DXB I just may be tempted to use this instead of ZRH.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    No dates yet and two services (DXB-GRU-EZE and DXB-GIG-EZE have just been downgrades from B777-300 to B777-200 reducing the economy seats by 616 per week for each. I'd hazard a guess that EK will introduce the A380 sometime late next year to handle World Cup loads but taht is only a guess. In any event ANAC has approved A380 for GRU and GIG allegedly is pending also. The economic conditions probably are responsible for the delays, but who knows? I certainly do not.

OY-JFS and TRAVELSIG like this.