EK 214 (IAH-DXB) meal in "Y" question

Discussion in 'Emirates | Skywards' started by snod08, Aug 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dear EK folks,
    Is there a standard veggie meal option in whY in this flight? (no meat/seafood/poultry; Dairy is ok).?

Or should I request a special meal?

On a related note, do op-ups go away if they see "special meal request"??
    (in which case, I will simply get some food to go at the airport).

2. There is a standard Asian (Indian) vegetarian meal on this flight for all passengers. If you special order vegetarian meal, then you will get the meal first before other passengers who have not indicated any preference. It is better to request the vegetarian meal, since sometimes the vegetarian meals may not be available to all passengers.

3. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks much!

4. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are a true vegetarian, double check w/ EK after ordering your meal. If you order the Hindu meal, be aware that it contains meat - just not beef. I order this meal because I maintain a Halal diet and it contains halal meat. I also prefer Indian meals over Euro-Arabian food when flying.

I occasionally see a few irate Hindu pax on EK flights (saw a whole family on Sunday JFK-DXB in fact) who swear up and down that they ordered the vegetarian meal, but they just did not think a meal labeled "Hindu" would have any meat in it.

Order the Asian Vegetarian Meal - AVML or the Jain Vegetarian meal - JVML if you like injun food. There is also a standard Vegetarian meal - VGML which is not very tasty (Euro-American and bland). In 20+ years of flying EK I've had virtually every special meal they offer LOL, so I hope you find this helpful.

snod08 likes this.
  5. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    You asked about Op-Ups... Op-Ups ex IAH are what I would term highly at-risk, even if you have an insider in EK that sorts you out. What happens is that at the last minute 30 or 40 Haliburton guys will show up and screw everything up for those on the waitlist. Haliburton appears to get the op-ups first then everyone else. I've actually started flying ex-JFK to avoid being a victim of this.

snod08 likes this.
  6. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, thanks a lot!!
    I have been burned a few times on CO ordering the "Hindu meal". Learnt my lesson!
    These days i order AVML as much as possible on most airlines.

Eventually I ordered the AVML prior to flight. It was indian food, and reasonably tasty for an airplane!

7. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah I see.
    I did not get the op-up. But the flight (a thursday morning flight) was significantly empty in Y.
    Total load F+C+J = 99 pax !!
    So, I got a whole center row to myself. They told me at check-in there was not going to be upgrades that day....I understood why after boarding.
    So, lie-flat Y was pretty ok.

Too bad about the halliburton folks...I guess they must have a contract or something.

Getting to JFK from SAT and connecting conveniently seems to be a pain. I will try out IAH a couple of times over the next few months when I go to India. I want to see what happens on a packed / full flight (in Y). Boy, it will sure suck to sit 15 hours in Y in the EK configuration !!!