Either talk me off the MR ledge, or push me over...

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by clscholes, Aug 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have 17,238 miles on UA this year...so I am roughly 8,000 short of Premier Silver. I am based out of MCI, and will more than likely have a trip to Addis Ababa next year. Do I do a couple of round trips to Seattle (or a mileage run that hits the number for premier status), or is it not worth the cost of making the next status. Other than that trip, I may not fly more than 2 or 3 other times the entire year.

And....discuss.

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh go for it. You know you want to.

(says the person taking a teensy mileage run this weekend)

Sean Colahan likes this.
  3. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go for it if you plan to travel next year. It's worth it to get access to the leg room seats on UA flts.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably not, in this case, actually.

Flying to ADD means a connection somewhere along the way, probably FRA, so the E+ seating only goes that far. The onward flights won't have such. And a TATL flight will include the same one free bag as Silver status will. If the ADD flight is revenue then the 25% bonus miles on UA metal might offset the costs of the MR a bit but probably not enough to justify it. And, most importantly, the free access to E+ as a silver only comes at the OLCI window. To secure those seats in advance you're paying anyways.

I say buy the E+ if you want it on the ADD trip for cash and forego the status. It will probably cost less money overall and certainly less time.

And if the ADD trip is MCI-IAD-ADD then no real value at all from Silver status.

Sean Colahan and karung99 like this.
  5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a status expert, but with that little flying I'd be surprised if you recoup the cost of the mileage runs in terms of benefits -- not to mention the time.

In general, mileage running is for making sure you maintain the highest status, not to reach the lowest. Maintaining the highest status means significant benefits and it also means that you fly a great deal anyway, so you'll have a chance to enjoy (or at least use them).

I was a Delta silver for a couple of years and while I enjoyed the occasional domestic first class upgrade into or out of ABQ I can't say it made a big difference in my life.

karung99, boondr and traveltoomuch like this.
  6. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...and this is why I asked the question! Thank you so much for the advice. I was looking at the MR solely for the benefit if I could upgrade the ADD flight, but if that isn't cost effective it doesn't make sense. Maybe I'll just fly more next year to get into a better status position...;)

7. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tend to agree. I would absolutely do an extra 8k to reach 1K. I'd probably do it to reach Platinum or Gold. On the other hand, I'm doing it as a Platinum, so I'm getting the extra RDM's on the MR and moderately likely to be upgraded to F on the MR (if domestic). And I'd at least have E+ on the MR. Would I do 8k miles in the back of the bus just to avoid 8k in the back of the bus next year? No.

karung99 and brodyf like this.
  8. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Out of curiousity, would it be worth it to do an extended MR to reach Platinum on AA knowing I am taking a trip to Hawaii in the next year, or would it be a better use to just use the miles for a pair of 1st class tickets as opposed to going for upgrades?

9. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd get the PLT if it is within reach if you think you will fly much on AA next year. If being PLT just puts a piece of plastic in your wallet you won't use in 2014 then why bother.

10. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I have been searching on ITA for MR's from MCI, especially AA, since that would be useful with the possibility of flying double digit times for the first time ever in a year. I am qualified for their Elite Challenge (or whatever they called it)...I am having trouble finding fares that are even worth it, however...help?

11. tfd

tfd Silver Member

Status Points:
    MCI is the hardest market we have coverage for. At the moment, your best bets are:

Domestic:
    • ANC - $393. Until 9/30, you can route via DFW, giving you 5.6CPM and a little over 7,000 miles. After 9/30, it is via ORD and it is 6,400+ miles and a little over 6.1CPM
    https://www.google.com/flights/explore/#explore;f=MCI;t=ANC;a=ONEWORLD;li=3;lx=10;d=2013-08-27
    • PDX - $246. Via DFW will give you 4,146 miles and 5.9CPM
    https://www.google.com/flights/explore/#explore;f=MCI;t=PDX;a=ONEWORLD;li=3;lx=10;d=2013-08-27

Int'l:
    • ICN - $1,023. 14+K miles or 7.3CPM. Best part? No visa worries.
    https://www.google.com/flights/explore/#explore;f=MCI;t=ICN;a=ONEWORLD;li=3;lx=10;d=2013-08-27

Included Google Flight links. Mileage running in general from Middle America is much more expensive on a CPM basis than from the East and West Coast.

karung99 likes this.
  12. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! That is quite helpful!

13. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You guys are great and I am a VERY happy twitter follower.
    Get most up to date on flight deal like this one: The Flight Deal@TheFlightDeal 43m
    #Airfare Deal: [AF] New York - Johannesburg, South Africa. $813 r/t. Details: http://ow.ly/oGtgH #travel
    Details

clscholes likes this.
  14. tfd

tfd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you so much for the kind words. We are working everyday to make our offering a little better. We are beta testing a new feature called "Mileage Maximizer" for mileage runners on a selected number of posts.

15. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep up the good work, and if anything comes out of MCI, I will be the first in line to jump on it!

16. tfd

tfd Silver Member

Status Points:
    We cover Kansas City on our affiliate site - faredealalert.com. Not a lot of volume of MCI, but there's a few a month.

17. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alright, so it looks as if I will be knocking on the door of PLT with the little special AA ran...I have two trips upcoming, MCI-SNA (ORD), and then MCI-PDX...any suggestions on a cheap MR to finish out, or a great place to have a same day turnaround coming from MCI?

18. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was based out of MCI, but now am based out of DOH. I got in on the AA fast track promo too. I just stumbled upon a $889 fare from DOH-BAH-LHR-DFW-ICT-ORD-LHR-DOH on AA operated by BA over the weekend after Thanksgiving. It's 5.5 cpm (16,138 miles) but it means I get EXP instead of plat and I get to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family even if I'm only home for 36 hrs. It'll be my very first pseudo mileage run, and it'll be brutal, but I couldn't pass it up.

Not sure if the flights work the other way around but if you wanted to jump up to EXP for the SWUs you could play with the dates. ICT was cheaper than MCI but who knows what you might find.

EDIT: $30 tourust visa on arrival in DOH

Wandering Aramean and clscholes like this.
  19. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! I am always on the lookout for good fares...I will have to check that. I WILL be going to ADD (Addis) in Ethiopia, and with QR joining OW, the fare from ORD-ADD through DOH is hands down the best right now, so I will be attacking that while it lasts and I can accrue some miles!

20. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    And to make things better, my parents live 30 min from ICT...

21. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Send me a message if you have a long layover in DOH and if I'm available I'd be more than happy to show you around the city.

A friend of mine who is from KC (and is now back there) was based here in DOH and took about 9 trips from DOH to ADD in his 2 years here in DOH. He also was doing mission trip work - small business loans I believe.

clscholes likes this.
  22. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I definitely will once we have a timetable and dates. We do work with a refugee camp a short flight from ADD, but it would be nice to have a layover to see the sights of DOH! Small world!

Mikus33 likes this.