Egypt is it safe???

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Georgine, Nov 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Georgine

Georgine New Member

Status Points:
    I am going to Egypt and worried about my safety is it safe! I am worried about being hurt or even killed.

marcwint55, Sweet Willie and anileze like this.
  2. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:

It has been unstable in Egypt for the past year or so. Your best bet would to be following your govt's travel advisory if you don't want to risk it. Eg. US State Dept, Canadian travel advisory.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. Georgine

Georgine New Member

Status Points:
    thank you I wish the middle east is safe

4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here are a few links from travel guru Peter Greenberg, specifically about travel of Westerners to Egypt:

http://petergreenberg.com/2013/08/03/video-travel-tip-going-to-egypt-during-a-travel-alert/

http://petergreenberg.com/2012/09/25/ask-peter-egypt-travel-safety-finding-a-good-airfare-more/

http://petergreenberg.com/2012/01/10/the-travel-detective-blogs-is-it-safe-to-travel-to-egypt/

5. Georgine

Georgine New Member

Status Points:
    I will read them, I am thinking of staying in either Oberoi or a small boutique

6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to milepoint. Yes it was(is) safe (with a big caveat)

There is curfew at nights in cairo and other major cities. Curfew is restricted to movements across neighborhoods. If your plane arrives between 11PM-6PM during curfew, you take a cab and show the hotel booking and at checkpoints they will let you through. Same in the reverse. Major tourist spots have seen a precipitous drop in visitors, so expect aggressive vendors, touts.

I cannot comment about Sharm-el-Sheik, the seaside resort popular amongst Brits and Charters from FSU.

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why are you going if you're worried about your safety? What's prompting the trip? Why would you go if you weren't sure it were safe?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. Georgine

Georgine New Member

Status Points:
    I have a friend that lives there.

9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, that's all well and good, but the question remains: why go if you're not sure you can do so safely? Why not wait?

anileze and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint. One thing I have always put above everything in my travels is my safety. If you have the slightest concern about your safety, wait till the fear is gone. Egypt has been there for thousands of years and will be for many more to come. There is no rush to go there, no matter what the reason, if you are in doubt about your safety.

MX, LETTERBOY and anileze like this.
  11. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was there 4 weeks ago and it was relatively quiet.

However if you are concerned you might die, maybe you should not go?

In the evening I wandered around Zamalek Island a couple nights, another night I got a tour of the Four Seasons Hotel and their art collection.

The only thing that was scary in Cairo was the relentless traffic.

My philosophy when traveling in questionable countries is to just '"shut up" in public, this way you will be less noticeable and blend in.

marcwint55 and anileze like this.
  12. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Asking if Egypt is safe is like asking if a piece of string is long. What is your reference point?

Right now the country seems stable - but that is subject to change at any time. Heck, no one predicted Arab Spring before it happened. How can anyone predict what the exact conditions will be in Egypt during the time of your stay there?

The best you can do is to pay attention to the reports coming out of Egypt as the date of your trip gets closer, and be prepared to reschedule (or even outright cancel) your trip if conditions seem to be likely to get bad while you're there. And really, you should do that any time you travel, not just when you're going to places you think might be "iffy".

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    marcwint55 likes this.
  13. I would cancel until its safer.

14. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your safety and anyone else's with you should be number one before visiting anyone over there!! Again that's up to you!!!!!