Effects of AA merger

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by guinnessxyz, Feb 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. http://www.bbc.com/travel/blog/20130219-the-effects-of-the-american-airlines-merger

Frequent flier programmes
    For now, each company will maintain its current loyalty program and travellers will continue to earn and redeem miles through each individual airline. When the merger is complete in the third quarter of 2013, the frequent flier programmes will most likely combine, giving some fliers who have programmes with both airlines enough miles to cash in for a free ticket or upgrade to a higher status.
    But American’s OneWorld Alliance has fewer partners than US Airways’ Star Alliance, giving travellers fewer options when cashing in miles. What’s more, as thousands of travellers see a sudden boost in their miles, American’s frequent flier program will be inundated with new elite fliers, potentially making it more difficult to upgrade.

2. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure many FFers are eagerly waiting to hear what the merged carrier's lavatory policy will be: ticketed cabin only?

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Perhaps I'm missing it, but is there something contained within the quoted section you've posted that's new? This seems to me like the same information they released on the day of the merger. Can you clarify please?

4. its dated Feb.20/13 on the BBC site. What more can I say? Maybe the whole article has relevant stuff for some

uggboy and autolycus like this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Was just trying to see if I was overlooking something in a "hey look here's something new" vs. "hey here's an article I found" kinda way. :)

6. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dare I say that, at least for any AA elite willing to fly pmUS, upgrades will actually get easier? I would bet AA has a higher percentage of elites on the average plane than US does, being able to fly on a plane with fewer elites should lead to more upgrades for us AA elites. US F, while not anything special, is still better than AA Y simply on personal space alone.

7. JeffRDU

JeffRDU Member

Status Points:
    Hey BOSman, I was somewhat thinking along the same lines, but can't exactly back it up with any foundational data. I may need to research this a bit!

Living in a non-hub city (Raleigh) I have experienced practically no limit to upgrades as an EXEC PLAT with AA on outbound flights. However, I have a feeling that eventually it will become a matter of how they price the routes and how I have to pick up second legs. 80% of my travel is east coast, and I'm always running through ORD or MIA. Hoards of US Air elite are in Charlotte, and the attractive routes I've always wished AA covered are now possible, but I will be fighting a larger contingent of US Air Elite than AA.

Just convinced myself there is not enough butcher paper to figure this out on my own! :confused:

8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP is well known on FT for just posting news stories (at least he now references the sources) without much relevance and repeating threads that already exist. Just ignore anything that contains his name.

9. Useless drivel from whiners central over on TOBB.
    Was it posted on MP prior to mine?