Effective Business Travel: Carry On or Check a Bag?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jun 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/travel/2012/06/04/effective-business-travel-carry-on-or-check-bag/

When traveling for business, you want the journey to go as smooth as possible.
    Deciding whether to carry or check your luggage can make the difference between smooth sailing and a severe headache.
    Carry-on pros
    The Transportation Security Administration allows one carry-on bag -- a small piece of luggage you can bring aboard the flight. some airlines allow an additional personal item, such as a small backpack, briefcase or camera case.
    Chris McGinnis, Best Western's business travel expert, advised that you should always pack very light and carry on your bags. "When it comes to business travel, time is money and you are losing money when standing in line dealing with baggage."
    When you carry your luggage, you will have access to anything you need during the flight. If you plan to pack work materials, by bringing them in your carry-on, you'll be able to work on your flight. For business travelers, this could give you a head start.
    "Pack one or two outfits that can be worn multiple times, use hotel valet services to clean clothes and never, ever check a bag," McGinnis said.
    Carry-on cons
    The individual air carrier will determine whether your bag meets size restrictions for the flight. You will need to check the rules of your air carrier to figure out if your bag qualifies as a carry-on. At the very least, your bag will need to fit through the X-ray machine. Also, there are many restrictions concerning what you may carry-on.

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/travel/2012/06/04/effective-business-travel-carry-on-or-check-bag/#ixzz1wv3NKSRz

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    LCC's are typically NOT carry on friendly... ;)

uggboy likes this.
  3. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I try never to check a bag, you can shove a lot in a carry on a and a personal bag. I use my laptop bag as the personal bag and cram more stuff in there. As its a tri-fold TSA model I don't even have to slow down to remove the laptop. (Well, 90% of the time, the other 10% of the time the TSA people don't know what a TSA acceptable bag is).

uggboy likes this.
  4. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whether it is business or personal travel, I never check a bag. Though occasionally the time it takes to collect my valet bag at the jetbridge is almost equal to the wait time at the baggage claim.

uggboy likes this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always carry on.

uggboy likes this.
  6. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    How long and where does everyone typically travel to? And how long do you stay in one place?

Two weeks in Scandinavia on a business trip in February does not lend itself to carry-on. Even in good weather, two weeks with a new hotel every day or every other day makes it nearly impossible to pack into a carry-on with any degree of safety.

HaveMilesWillTravel and uggboy like this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Up to one month at a time.
    Also in Nordic countries.
    No problem for a carry on only.
    You will need to use some hotel drycleaning services of course.
    I pack as a rule for longer trips (more than 2 weeks):
    7 pairs boxer shorts
    8 pairs socks
    4 dress shirts
    3 suits
    1 casual outfit (jeans, sweater etc)
    1 rain jacket
    1 pair shoes (plus of course the pair i am wearing)
    1 swimsuit for hotel pools/exercise
    1 workout outfit
    1 seater
    4 ties
    I have a tumi carry on which is european size and it works perfectly.

Done

HaveMilesWillTravel and uggboy like this.
  8. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's why I asked about how long you stay in one place. Dry cleaning is rarely an option for me, especially if a country with no Sunday service is part of the trip. So your setup would leave me stinking for at least 3 business days out of the trip, which typically does not win me any return invitations.

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm.. most the hotels I have stayed at have service available with pickup 8A, return by 19:00, or pickup 19:30, return 7A. Depends where exactly but the "No Sunday service" thing has almost gone away.
    You should be able to go Four days on what I have posted above BTW.

10. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on how long and where I'm going, drives whether or not I check a bag. 3 weeks in PEK, yes, 1 week in CDG, no.

PLUS_1 likes this.
  11. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most of my stays are one night, so not even express laundry is of any help. "No Sunday service" appears to be all too common in France and Italy still in hotels like Mercure, Sofitel and NH.

The way I counted your setup, it would've lasted me 8-9 days (Wednesday of 2nd week), as my trips are typically 2 weeks long. So very close, but not quite there. So that leaves me with too much stuff for carry-on and suspiciously little for a 27" spinner.

12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Worst comes to worst you can always buy a shirt if you need it and wash the socks and boxer shorts in the shower/tub/sink. I have only had worst come to worst twice.

IF you are in Italy and the hotel is not being helpful- drive by almost any larger shopping centre which will be near practically all "zona industriale" and commercial zones- there will 99% of the time be a booth inside labelled "Lavasecco" which is the drycleaner. The vast majority of these can give you same day service even on Sunday- and since February of this year with the liberalization legal changes all the shopping centres are open Sunday.

I have noticed in Italy almost all hotels including Sofitel and NH now offer service even on Sunday in Italy, or in a worst case scenario only not on Sunday. If it is just a shirt you need cleaned and you are at a smaller hotel in Italy they will probably just do it for you (the owners/management) and charge you something reasonable (4 EUR per shirt or so).

France is a little more difficult- you are right- but not impossible if in larger cities.

If you are only staying really 1 night per city- all the more reason for the necessity of the carry on as you will save at least 15 hours of waiting for baggage claim on a 2 week trip (averaging 45 minutes wait on arrival and 15 minutes queue on departure with one destination per day).

FlyingBear likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, impressive. I have a hard time imagining all that in my 22" rollaboard. I think I'd need two or three. :)

(and yes, I usually travel with just carry-on... But fortunately I am not a business traveler, which makes life easier).

14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take the socks and boxer shorts and fold them around the other clothes.
    Suits go in first- remember you are wearing 1 and carrying two.
    Casual outfit does not need to be packed as carefully as it won't matter if it is a bit wrinkled.
    Shoes in the outside pocket.
    Ties inside in a waterproof area as they get stained easily.
    I use a Tumi Arrive which is perfect.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  15. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stick however many socks into my shoes. Start with clean ones, move on to dirty ones as I travel. Pack the two shoes separately from each other for ease of luggage manipulation.

One thing that has made it a tiny bit easier is travel underwear that I can wash in the sink and it dries overnight. A bit of an expensive affair upfront, but gets me closer to eventually fitting into the carry-on.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whatever it takes.... to get the carry on to work!