Editing title Threads

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by From NYC, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about the idea of being able to edit the title of a thread yourself has created, whether right from the start or after reaching a certain level here? Frequently, I haven't noticed something in the title that I should correct, or an adjustment in wording would be appropriate. Yet, can't be done.

For example, I've purposely left one of the words of this thread title in lower case. Later on, I'd probably want to capitalize it. Over in the Hyatt forum, I started some hotel review threads, but completely forgot about adding in "Master Thread" to the title.

Why should it be that a title sits there wrong in some way, when I could easily fix it myself?

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good suggestion. It has always been a challenge to edit titles on other sites that I frequent. Hopelly the technology will enable this improvement.

3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Another smaller site did allow editing titles and it was very useful to clarify intent of the thread.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just going to suggest the same when ran across a mis-labeled (IMO) thread. It would be nice if authors could change their post subjects without the help of mods. Never quite saw the reason for restriction on other sites.

5. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy: Is this fix on your to do list?

I just encountered the need to edit a post title and I can't... It's frustrating for those who read the post and possibly embarassing for the OP.

6. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yet, again, I really support the option of being able to edit titles of threads. Many times people make mistakes and typos in thread titles and it stays there forever, sometimes making searching impossible, because you need to search for misspelled word :-(. So, yes, I vote for ability to change title of the thread - but I would also suggest that there is some indication that it has been changed/edited. Ideal would be subtitle "Originally known as ..."?

ben regelshore likes this.
  7. TheInternationalLine
    Original Member

TheInternationalLine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another vote for the ability to edit thread titles...

8. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would be helpful. In the meantime, the admins are being very responsive to the "report" function (I used it this morning and within 5 mins it was fixed!)

9. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another vote for this please

10. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    My question is: does this IT platform support the OP being able to edit his thread title.

No use asking for this if it is not feasible.

11. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, I think it is a good tool to have.

12. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would be a very nice to have.

13. aitchly likes this.
  14. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    This thread has time stamped seniority.....so the other one has to join this one. ;)

15. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I support this concept also - especially since I don't think Randy's vision includes having Moderators at this point - this would really help with thread titles being as descriptive as possible - thread titles that say "Question" really don't work.

Especially without Mods - Randy and his staff at HOM will be quickly overwhelmed with requests such as this (changing thread titles).

16. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Looks like the trend is to put [Answered] when a discussion/question has been answered so many that's one reason against this but I'm all for it.

Is there a reason on FT this was not possible? (other background info i don't know about)

17. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think the [Answered] modification to thread titles is almost exclusively in this forum - with Randy's (and HOM staff) answer to the question at hand.

I'm really not sure why it wasn't possible on FT for thread originators to edit their titles - only mods / admins can.

18. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    as i said in other thread on FT you do have 5 minutes to edit title.

19. scubaflyer should defintely get the thread creator first post honors.

scubaflyer likes this.
  20. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My thoughts- any OP should be able to edit/change the thread title prior to anyone responding to the thread. Once there are responses, it could impact the other posters.

So, if the OP wants to edit/change the thread after there are responses, I suggest they can do it with a provisional factor- an alert goes out to any respondents telling them the thread title has been provisionally changed, during that period there will be a subtitle somewhere (in the case of this thread it could be "We'd like to edit our thread titles" formerly "Editing Thread Titles" and if no one clicks a complaint checkmark for 24 hours, the change sticks.

Technologically, that could be difficult or not possible, but perhaps a subset of these ideas could work.

21. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see a potential risk with open thread title editing after the thread is "active." I think spelling corrections and that are fine, but really not required.

22. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    i believe the "risk" was also a technical one in terms of linking especially if it automatically parses.

spelling/etc would be the reason for the 5 minute window.

23. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, I had to delete a thread because I could not edit the title.