EconomyCarRentals.com?

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by Dovster, Oct 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone here have any experience with them? Their prices are good but I am finding conflicting reviews on the internet.

Some say it is a complete scam. Others praise the site. I suspect that either the pro or con reviews might be fakes.

2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    All care rentals are a scam!

redtailshark likes this.
  3. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe, but I would find it difficult to drive from Israel to my hotel in Vegas.

4. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I've used them a number of times in different places.

The problem is, they are a broker and they provide Priceline-style sight-unseen deals. Your actual experience will depend on the rental car company itself but you won't know who this is until you make the booking. Even then you may not know anything about it.

I've had both the best ever rental car experience ever, and one of the worst, both at SOF, and both as a result of EC.COM rentals. The best one was - really- with BEST. Several times. Those guys are awesome. They meet you outside the arrivals area at SOF with the car, and everything is as advertised. You then make the drop arrangements, same deal, they're punctual, courteous, efficient, with no hidden extras. The fact they meet you like this, on time and with everything ready, and that you never get hit with crap hidden fees or "extras" makes them a standout in the shady and aggravating world of global car rentals.

I made them wait once and apologized profusely and gave their agent some recompense - I was the problem, not them. They are the best car rental company I've ever dealt with anywhere in the world - and I rent in places like FCO, KUL, TPE, BOG, MEX, SCL and so on. Each time I saw EC had booked me with BEST, I was happy.

The worse ones were with Thrifty - also booked at EC.COM - who rented me a Chevy Spark with 120k on the odometer, and although I like saving money with beaters, this one actually failed on me. The clutch cable snapped, luckily within a few kms of SOF airport on the return. I called them, they did come out and retrieve the car and get me to the airport however my Am Ex was billed for the clutch replacement, and at a ridiculous foreign-gouging rate. I initiated a dispute and the charge was quickly reversed but it was all a big hassle I could have done without.

My other EC.COM experiences include several great ones in OTP and a not-so-good one in BCN (Goldcar).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1350457-bcn-car-rental-warning-goldcar-usual.html

EC charges a small proportion upfront so if you really don't like what you read, you could cancel and only be out by a couple of E/day. Also, remember they can take > 24 hours to confirm and send the voucher so you can't use them for last-minute rentals.

Dovster likes this.
  5. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you ever tried them in LAS?

6. redtailshark

Status Points:
    No, never rented from EC.COM at a US location. Let us know how it goes!

Dovster likes this.
  7. petyobox

petyobox New Member

Status Points:
    Last month we went to the island of Madeira. It was a long planned holiday and we looked forward for it. We asked the hotel for the car hire options but decided to go for the cheapest deal and rented a car from the airport through an agent - “Economy car rental”.
    Big mistake.
    Through the booking process we were offered excess protection which we took out for peace of mind like we always do.
    So we picked the car up from the SIXT – it was a relatively old car for a hire one. It had over 113 000km on the clock and exterior had a lot of marks and scratches. The interior itself smelled of diesel fuel. When I saw the mileage on the papers I asked the SIXT representative whether we could get another car instead. The answer was that if we paid for an economy car rental then that was the only option we had!
    So with no choice we took the car. For the first few days the car was running ok, despite a few noises and vibrations. But at one point I noticed it was leaking oil. I called for assistance. Later I was told that engine carter has been damaged and we were charged the full excess. The only explanation we were given was that the car had apparently been hit at some point during our journey. I tried to explain that we had never inflicted any damage on the vehicle but our words fell on deaf ears.
    I am a professional class 1 driver with 32 years’ worth of experience. I have worked as a driving instructor and I have a degree in automobile mechanics. Despite all this I was told that I must have simply not noticed the impact which had led to the damage! Rubbish!
    They offered us a replacement car but by then we decided we had had enough of the company’s terrible attitude and unjust policy. When we arrived back home I sent an email to the “Economy car rental” asking for a refund on the excess I had been forced to pay. A few weeks later I received an email which states that under the terms and conditions, this sort of damage isn’t covered. I decided to check this and following some research, I discovered that basically all of the most common types of damage to a hire vehicle are not covered by the company’s insurance policy.
    Customers are not protected for instance in the case of vandalism, windscreen, tyre and wheel damage, as well as door handle and interior damage. This also applies to towing charges. Thus even if you park the car and someone scratches it you will be liable; or if you are driving behind another vehicle and an object coming from it hit the front windscreen and chipped or even cracked it, then you’ll be liable also. You are also required to report it to the police, even for an oil leak. Do they really think that the police will turn up for an engine oil leak!
    There are many insurance companies on the market which offer protection against all of this.
    To conclude, I will never ever use this agent again and in fact I have already cancelled my next booking with them and advised my friends to do the same. It goes without saying that would not recommend “Economy car rental” to anyone else.

8. Rachyrach

Rachyrach New Member

Status Points:
    They deliberately set out to mislead you. They make it look like you're paying a deposit on your car, but really you're just paying them 18 Euro's to be google for you.

Do yourself a favour and book directly with a car rental office in the town where you want to hire by phone, or AVIS who I've always found to be up-front and not a total SCAM like this company is.

I am going to lodge a complaint to several Advertising Standards Authorities.

They 'stole' 18 Euros from me

They claim to have no hidden fees yet, there are plenty

They did not give any address where I could pick up the car

I did not get the model of car I booked, I wanted a Citoen and got a Fiat Panda!!

The car hire place I booked with had no idea who 'economycarrentals.' was

When I called up to rectify the situation, the operator was rude, spoke over me and said something to the effect of 'well you're the first one to complain' which I'm absolutely sure is not true, because their business model is all based around misleading people who they assume will mostly not check their credit card charges.

On arrival at the car hire office, I told them that I'd already been charged 18 Euros but they had no knowledge of this, and continued to charge me the full rental amount on top. I really hate being misled.

I've been a website designer for 20 years and I know the psychology they are employing here and when you go through the process yourself at economycarrentals.com, you'll have a clear idea of what I'm saying.

THE DETAILS for anyone who wants them:

I searched 'car hire kefalonia' and found:

Car Hire at Cephallonia - Airport. Book-Now Pay-Less‎

Adeconomycarrentals(dot)com/Car-In-Greece‎

20% Off Low Rates Great Deals Don't Delay!

A message pops up 'Surcharges for hotel/ railway/ port deliveries and collections

are always included in our offered prices!!!

When comparing our prices with others, make sure you compare FINAL prices and not ones that purposely keep surcharges hidden away!'

I booked a Citroen for Fri8-Mon11 July for 129 Euros

In the cart area it says:

Hire amount payable now 18,00 EUR

Hire amount payable at desk 129,00 EUR

So making you think that the 18 Euros is a deposit for hiring the car, in fact it's not going towards car hire, it's charged to your card in advance and you expect it to be taken off the car hire when you pay BUT IT IS NOT, in fact my car hire office had no idea about all this.

If zero starts were possible, I would have given ZERO.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would you expect the 18 euro charge to disappear later? It says quite clearly you'll be paying it now.:confused:

10. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Used EC rentals again, twice, recently.

Once at OPO. The rental was contracted by DriveonHolidays. It was OK, a Citroen C4 diesel with 60k kms, not new but in decent condition. No bogus charges although the actual rental cost was not super-cheap. I had to pay 38E extra to take the vehicle into Espana and a small fee for the electronic toll-pass device, which records the Portguese tolls and then you pay for them on return. This worked OK.

Once at FCO. Yes, you know. PHL. FCO. etc. This rental was contracted by AutoClick - an excellent experience. They upgraded me to a brand-new Ford Kuga diesel with sat nav for my midrange 30 E one-day rental. It was a nice drive, even better, with no hidden charges/nasties. Friendly and efficient service from the reps.

The only problem here is that their location is 4km from FCO terminals, near the seafront, and it can be hard to find from the usual Rome peripheral road access to FCO.

Now that I know about this, I'd definitely use Autoclick again and they have their own website.

Note: I was very careful to avoid the EC.com options that were clearly GOLDCAR. It's not hard to tell which these are - in the price/feature listings, there's a customer score shown below. Ensure you check the GOLDCAR website to see where they have locations, and at each possible rental location of theirs, if you then assume GOLDCAR has the lowest customer evaluation score of all vendors in the listings, you won't be wrong :)

11. Araija

Araija New Member

Status Points:
    First, sorry for my bad english, it's not my main language but will try my best.
    I'd like to say that I have never wrote any complains or anything else until today, but this one is necessary so that you know how this company works.
    I bought a full Insurance package during my holiday to Iceland on economycarrentals with Excess refund. I decided to buy this so that I could be covered for everything. After I bought the insurances, I decided to pick a car provided by Hasso company.

The day before I had to give back my car, I did some damages on the bodycar.
    The day after, I gave back my car to Hasso and they immediately noticed the damages and how they occured (trying the clean the car with a brush, some paint disappeared). I obviously had to pay the franchise, with was 324'000 ISK, approxi. 2400 EURO and assures me that I will be refunded with my insurance because I have collision insurances.
    They wrote the report, they took pictures pre and post incident and told me that I have to claim my money to economycarrentals, which I did.

It's been a month now that I'm fighting with this company to claim my money but they everytime have some new excuses to avoid playing. But I will never stop. I know my right, I wrote to my legal protection and they have to refund me the money.

First it was: "It's clearly obivous that the damages were caused by sand or ashes". After Hasso and I sent them explainations and documents (proofs), they decided to treat us as liars and they are now saying "How do we know that the damages have been done by the driver and not someone else"?

Obviously, I should have filmed myself cleaning the car? Come on...

What is even more frustrating is that you can NEVER talk to anyone by phone, you always have to write an email and that's it.

Then I just want to warn you: They will ALWAYS find an excuse to never pay you back.