Economy plus upgrade with MP explorer CC

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Filler03, Oct 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Filler03

Filler03 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quick question: I have the United mileage plus explorer credit card. I am flying IAD to FRA in December. If economy plus seats are available and all the premiers are cleared do I have a chance for an upgrade considering I have the credit card? Also, my wife is traveling with me, if I get upgraded will she come along?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    mp.png

Contrary to what the ad shown with your post might suggest, "you're not in" or getting into Economy Plus with the Explorer Card. :eek: E+ upgrade is not one of the benefits, and I doubt you'll be able to talk yourself into an upgrade. Then again, there's always a chance, albeit a small one, that you can talk the gate agent into an upgrade if you ask politely. Or, if regular economy is full, they'll assign you an E+ seat free of charge at the airport, but that's a gamble as you might also end up with the middle seat in the last row near the lavs.

BuckleandBoots, unavaca and pyelder like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights."

This is the only type of upgrade that is possible for holders of the Explorer and some other cards...You must also have Premier elite status.

4. Filler03

Filler03 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is my understanding though that economy plus isn't an "upgrade". You can't use miles to move to E+ and you cant use upgrade certs or anything. Its the same class of service just with more legroom. Am I correct?

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is an "upgrade" in the most basic sense of the word because the extra legroom makes E+ seats a step up from standard economy seats. However, you are right regarding how one gets to sit in E+ -- hard cold cash, unless you have elite status...

6. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    .... ask real nicely!!!!

BuckleandBoots and freebird like this.
  7. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the ticketing agent's day is going well, they'll bump you even without asking. When we flew from Seoul to Tokyo, the ticketing agent bumped us to E+ without the premier status. On our way back, I had enough points for Silver status, but the ticketing agent wasn't in the mood to deal with anyone; she checked my ticket and directed me to the gate. I wan't familiar with how things worked, so I didn't asked the ticketing agent for E+ seats. I also have the Chase Explorer card.

I flew in business, E+, and E class many times in the past, but the E+ seats are definitely more comfortable than the E class seats, especially when you are in the plane for four hours or more.

BuckleandBoots likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that's way too optimistic of an assessment of one's chances to get the free upgrade to E+.

9. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your best bet is definitely to ask nicely at check in. But don't be surprised if it doesn't happen.

freebird likes this.
  10. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you are 99 percent right about that, but I have that one percent to look forward to. However, I have no luck with hotels.