Economy Plus Subscription question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by The Lev, Oct 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm contemplating forking over $899 to United to buy an Economy Plus subscription for myself and my wife as we'll be travelling to Melbourne next year and If I'm donig it in Y, I at least want Economy Plus.

The T&C of the subscription state that
    • The subscriber’s MileagePlus® number must be included in the reservation in order to receive the subscription benefits.
    Once I've made the reservation with my Mileage Plus number, will I be able to keep that Econmomy Plus seat when I ask them to change my accumulation credit over to Air Canada Aeroplan?

Newscience and daninstl like this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many times will you be flying next year?

United sells EconomyPlus on a per-flight basis as well as a subscription package so it might be cheaper to just buy EconomyPlus for the trip instead of an annual subscription if you don't travel too often.

As for changing FFPs it should not be a problem provided you made the change after booking the reservation and selecting seats.

3. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just checked and it's actually cheaper for me to buy a subscription for the two of us for the year than pay for E+ individually for the flights on this one itinerary.

daninstl likes this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That can't be right otherwise I'm in for a sticker shock.

I'll have to take a look on the LAX-MEL route.

ETA: Looks like E+ on LAX-MEL one way ranges from $179-$223. :eek:

flyforawg likes this.
  5. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup - plus another $100 to go from one end of the country to the other on a 737 takes it to about $1,000 round-trip.

6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It'd be cheaper to pay an 1K to fly with y'all down there and back. ;)

7. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or pay a million miler to let you be their "partner" for the year.

More seriously, you might look at UA's status match challenge. If you were to happen to have status in another program (e.g. from USAir's "trial preferred"), you could get short-term status on UA. And only one of you needs that status to get E+ seats for both of you. And the long-hauls you're talking about should qualify you to keep the status.

Newscience likes this.
  8. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    E+ isn't exactly cheap domestically either. I thought I saw close to $80 (isle seats) each way between IAH and EWR. Doesn't take long to make my subscription pay for itself. :)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but does the OP plan to buy one subscription or two? $899 is an odd amount when divided by two and would seem too small, but OP mentioned two subscriptions.

I''m also not seeing the "about $1000" calculation. I get $179-223 plus $200 per person, assuming that all prices are US dollars, so $379-$423 per person.

10. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Typo maybe. Small keyboards and fat fingers can do that. ;)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  11. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    They would have to live together.:eek:

12. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just have to have the same mailing address. If my wife wasn't already nominated, I could act as a mail forwarding service. :D

traveltoomuch, Flyer1976 and 8MiHi like this.
  13. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The website shows a domestic E+ subscription for $499 per person and $699 per person for a Global subscription.

14. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There has also been speculation that you'll be able to buy the Y+ subscription with miles... not sure how much it'll cost, but it has been rumored on http://mileageplusupdates.com/ for months... if it's not too high... sign up for Chase CC and use signup bonus to buy Y+ subscription...

I still argue that Y+ at booking is one of the best perks of Gold status. I ran into all sorts of issues as Silver (where you can't pick complimentary Y+ until checkin/D-24). Most of my domestic/regional flights were sold out before check-in, so I found myself buying a lot of Y+ as Silver to make sure I got it.

8MiHi likes this.
  15. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think you'll be ok because in the past when I've made reservations when my status lapses, it has held the status of when the ticket was booked. The only time it might become a problem is if you IROP or something on the return and when they rebook you the MP number is no longer there so the agent doesn't know you have a subscription. Under normal conditions though I think you'd be fine after you switch it.

The Lev likes this.
  16. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The update clearly says subscriptions for Economy Plus as well as individual flight upgrades to E+ using RDMs are on their way in 2015. No suggestion as to just when in 2015 however...