Economy Plus seating on an award ticket for silver elites

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by harvson3, Jan 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

Quick clarification question.

In late Feb, we're on an award ticket in Y (X fare) back from MUC to EWR, operated by PMCO. (Penultimate leg of a long, complex itinerary.) My wife and I are Silver Elite on UA/CO.

Online, the system is trying to charge me $89 for Economy Plus seating.

So I called the agent and she said that I'd only be able to select Economy Plus at time of check-in (24hrs out). She mentioned a "transition period."

I know those are the new rules under the 2012 MP rules, but we're supposed to operate under 2011 rules until March 2, no? Under the 2011 rules, as Silvers we should be able to get Economy Plus at booking, per the FAQ at CO.com (and the MP Wiki).

Is there some interim system by which some 2012 rules are going into place piecemeal?

2. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds really annoying. You wouldn't happen to have a United confirmation number on your reservation. If you do then during this "transition period" I have been able to choose any seat I liked on PMCO flights on united.com. So I have lucked out, but this is clearly not good for anyone without a united confirmation number.

harvson3 likes this.
  3. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the help. We have a UA reservation number, but that trick didn't work. I'll keep trying and attempting to clarify and report back.

4. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I should clarify the trick.

1. Find an existing reservation on United.com that contains your United ffn (and you must be elite) and go to the page with all the glory details. (I currently have a reservation with a continental flight on it, but I don't it if that matters).
    2. Navigate to "my reservations" and "looking for a different reservation".
    3. Type in your confirmation number and name.
    4. Select nice seat on your Continental operated flights.

This has worked for me twice in the last two weeks with both myself and family members (non-elite) bookings.

sobore, TAHKUCT and harvson3 like this.
  5. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where were you few weeks ago? Thanks

6. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Finally got a straight answer on the phone, directing me here:

http://mileageplusmergerupdates.com/en/mp/ForElites/EconomyPlus

I don't really know the difference between Extra Legroom seats and Preferred seating, and it makes me only a little :mad:.
    And thanks for the trick cvarming. We switched our flight schedule to avoid tight connections and the full itinerary doesn't show up on United - only the LH legs. Dunno why.

So it goes.