Economy MilesAAver award space JFK-LAX (Honeymoon content...)?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jpripcord, Aug 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    So i'm trying to plan my honeymoon for next June.

The whole itinerary will be NYC > LAX > PPT > LAX > NYC

Now, I knew the Air Tahiti Nui flights might be hard, so I waited 330 days out, stayed up till 2AM, and called to put my flights on hold. The first issue, is that ATN only releases one business class seat on the flight that we need. Ok, not a problem, we've traveled the world in First/Business, what's the big deal of a 9 hr flight in coach, considering we'll be on the beach for the next 10 days in Moorea and Bora Bora.

So I put the LAX-PPT flight on hold. The issue I run into though, is there is NO economy award availability from any of the NY area airports to LAX on June 10th.

I tried every possible routing I could think of (DCA, IAD, PHL, CLE, ORD, etc.) but can't get this to work.

Worst case scenario is I just buy the $300 round trip tickets for me and the wife, but that seems like a complete wast of $600, considering the JFK>LAX flights should cost $0 to add onto our itinerary.

Sucks, but does that sound right that AA doesn't open up a singe economy seat on any of their 11 daily non-stop flights from the NY area to LAX?!?!

Any thoughts, advice, input, suggestions would be welcomed.

2. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    it's a Sunday, so reduced Saaver awards, i'd say. also, it's NY-LA. very popular, isn't it?

Horse likes this.
  3. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    June 10th is a Monday, and while it might be a popular day, they released not a single sAAver award seat on any of the 11 non-stop flights they operate between JFK/LGA/EWR and LAX

4. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    my bad. looking at wrong year :)

i just booked my OGG/HNL honeymoon and didn't even have a saaver award from DFW to either metro/regional airport on a Wednesday or Thursday. Either it opens up later, or it won't. I couldn't wait any longer, so I just had to book to the closest city that had award availability and worry about getting home from there. there's not rule to what they offer, unfortunately

Horse likes this.
  5. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, its crazy to me that they don't have a single seat on any of the 10+ flights from LGA>ORD>LAX too.

I waited 330 days out, expecting this to be a breeze, and was shocked to see that I couldn't even get creative with the routing (need to be at LAX by 2:30 on 6/10/13)

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    When I search for seats NYC-LAX on 6/10/2013 I see availability in all classes and levels:

;lajsdf;lak.JPG

7. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, there is one flight available now (wasn't at the 330 day mark), but it arrives at night, meaning i would miss two days on my honeymoon (cause the flight the next day from LAX-PPT leaves at 11:30 PM at night)

So the discussion is that there are [virtually] no flights from NYC>LAX on 6/10/13 (still 300 days out).

I need an option get me to LAX by 2:30 PM that day.

[​IMG]

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are two J class tickets available on AA1 that arrives at 12:20 PM. Not an option? You need Y?

Also two seats in J on AA201.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    On the larger issue of award availability, I'm not surprised that there are relatively few seats available to be honest. As noted in many locations, AA doesn't automatically release seats at the 330 (ish) mark, it's simply the earliest date at which they could release a seat. I'm more than willing to bet that between now and your flight date that AA will release seats on the flights you need. Whether that's in the eminent future or much closer to your flight date is another issue entirely.

You're looking to travel on one of the busiest days (Monday) during one of the busiest time frames (morning) between two major US business centers. AA probably thinks they can sell quite a few of those seats and aren't exactly flooding the market with award seats. Makes sense to me, though I do see where it can be frustrating for someone planning a honeymoon.

Your initial post laments the lack of any award seats but further posts have shown that there are seats but what is lacking are seats in the specific time frame you need. And that's the rub to be honest. One of the cardinal rules of booking award seats is to have some degree of flexibility, and sadly that's not an option for you.

Keep in mind that there are actually award seats available, just not at the discount price. You can always book the AAnytime award level for 2x the discount price. While not ideal, something as important as a honeymoon might merit spring for the extra miles. :)

You can always book the higher level and when lower level award space becomes available you can make a change. Depending on your status this might come with a fee, but again, might be worth the hassle for something like a honeymoon. This scenario has it's own pluses and minuses to be sure and can be a bit of a pain, but an option nonetheless.

Hopefully this all works out for you in the end and congratulations on your wedding! :)

perryplatypus likes this.
  10. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to second the same sentiments. On one hand, if you (the OP) wait and track the scene, saaver seats are likely to become available before June. OTOH, honeymoon ought to be important enough to secure just what you want and move on with important stuff.

However, why spend 25K miles on an economy award when you can be in Business/First for the same number of miles? Many flights are available in SAAver J/F (25K) on 6/10/13 that will get you to LAX before 2:30PM.

11. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are 5 flights in economy for AAnytime miles, as well as business class. The problem is that even though it's the same price for business and economy (on the same flight, but AAnytime vs sAAver business), I can't fly to LAX in business, adn then to PPT in econ with out paying for the full flight in business.

Basically, it comes down to me either waiting and hoping that both AA releases SAAver seats on the 5 morning flights from LAX, AND nobody snatches up the economy seats on Air Tahiti Nui (6 available right now).

In the end, I could just spend the extra 50k miles, but it just seems like such a waste to drop 50,000 AAdvantage miles on a coach flight (talking about 2 people, RT paying for AAnytime miles)

12. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is your status and have spoken to the elite desk about this problem?

13. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. If you have elite status with AA, at least call them instead of just looking online.

General advice in these situation, even when no honeymoon is involved, :) is to secure your main trip and worry about domestic legs later. Yes, sometimes that means spending extra cash/miles, but that is the price of peace of mind. There are lots of ways to go from NYC to LAX, not that many to South Pacific.

14. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is true. The idea that there is still 1 business, and 6 economy seats left on the LAX-PPT route gives me comfort that I have a little bit of flexibility on the booking. As is, i've waited a month to see if anythign would open up, and as long as the PPT leg doesn't start getting booked up, I can try to wait it out.

I'm platinum with AA. I talked to them when originally trying to make the reservation, but they just said I had the option to "waste" the extra 50k miles to get the coach tickets with AAnytime awards. I've never heard any exceptions to the award millage rules, but maybe it's worth a shot again.

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    EXPs have expanded award availability outside of what is shown on AA.com, which is probably what sukn and Aktchi were getting at. Not available for PLT sadly though. :oops:

16. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess this is a case where an expertflyer subscription will come in handy. I'll set an alert to see if there are >=2 business class seats from LAX-PPT on 6/10, an alert to show <= 4 coach seats (just to be safe from LAX-PPT, as well as an alert for >=2 coach seats on any of the direct flights from JFK-LAX. Hopefully one of those hits and I can book the full trip as needed.

Thanks for all the help, wish me luck

17. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also check to see if other carriers have what you want, for example UA has the non-stop in first:
    Depart: 7:00 a.m. Mon., Jun. 10, 2013 New York, NY (JFK)
    Arrive: 10:07 a.m. Mon., Jun. 10, 2013 Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
    Travel Time:6 hr 7 mn Flight: UA797
    Aircraft: Boeing 757-200

If you have credit avaialbe you have time to sign up for a credit card or two and get that offer. I'd bet US might have a simlar single stop option.

18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think his goal is to get the domestic flights included in his international award since it would be free. If he's unable to do so and cannot get from NYC-LAX using AA miles the UA credit card bonus miles might be helpful, but I think the ideal outcome would be to book the NYC-LAX as part of the award to PPT.

Less hassle traveling on two tickets, too! :)

iolaire likes this.
  19. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, but I'd hate to have such a important trip depended on award space opening up. At some point the wedding will give them plenty to worry about.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Echoes quite a bit of what Aktchi and I said above. It's a honeymoon, don't wait too long! :eek::)

iolaire likes this.
  21. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for your concern. I'm sure we'll get this all worked out sooner or later. Appreciate the MP help, as always! -JP